Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 05-03-2004, 20:39   #21
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

Quote:
Originally posted by DunkWho
Not make sense in that you don't follow my comments ... or not make sense in that you don't think the way it works is right?

1) wire it all up
2) sit down, run the tests, adjust the individual volumes so that they all sound the same to you in your viewing spot - this kind of balances out left\right setup especially with the tv in the corner, also allows me to weight the rears given that they're sitting behind the sofa
3) finish the test mode, use the main volume to adjust all normal listening - the individual increases & decreases are taken into account to maintain your relative setup.

I started with everything mid way ... sub is then down a couple cos otherwise its too noisey and farty, centre is up a couple, one of the fronts up 1 cos it sits slightly hidden behind a sofa, rear left is up 1 cos i sit right above rear right and need to make them balanced.

works for me !

Duncan
Your previous comment just did not make sense as in, I did not under stand the sentance.

Above makes it clear as day.
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 21:12   #22
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Keiron99
Digital output is digital output. Cards, drivers etc will make no difference. It's all "ones" and "zeros".
I think you're just expecting too much of a budget system.
Yeah, I did feel that probably drivers made no difference to the digital spdif out as it was probably just a straight feed (but always good to ask just in case!)

Well, I am being picky I know.
To be honest it's a GREAT sound. I just wondered how much it would cost (replacment) to make it better.

If there were any no-brainer awesome sounding great deals.

I know there was talk of a sub a few months ago everyone was going ape over as it was so cheap and performing the same as subs about 4x the cost (or something like that)
Also recall some good deal on a Yamaha Surround amp for £250 ish if I recall.
Just wondering.....
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:10   #23
Tempest
Trusted User

Thought I'd bump this for a laugh, as still have this Videologic system 16 years later, still in place, and using it again a bit more.
Still wish it had more of a "Crispy Punch" is that's a term?
Plenty of volume, but I like the almost painful treble edge you can get from some setups.
Always have been more a "Cutting Sharp Treble" than tons of Muddy Bass type of person.

Anyway, not bad for 16+ years
Old 12-07-2020, 08:14   #24
internetuser
XBL / PSN : Googleboogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Thought I'd bump this for a laugh, as still have this Videologic system 16 years later, still in place, and using it again a bit more.
Still wish it had more of a "Crispy Punch" is that's a term?
Plenty of volume, but I like the almost painful treble edge you can get from some setups.
Always have been more a "Cutting Sharp Treble" than tons of Muddy Bass type of person.

Anyway, not bad for 16+ years
Very random. I thought about mine the other day.

Must have paid £200 from it from the bargain section here years ago. . Good bit of kit back in the day. Ex wife blew the speaker at a party once and they swapped it free of charge.

Moved through various systems and now just use a Sonos beam. Less wires and hassle with the Center speaker volune
internetuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:30   #25
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
2 suggestions to help -

- high frequencies are easily absorbed by soft furnishings, so consider removing sofa, bed, cushions, replace curtains with blinds, get hardwood flooring, etc.

- if the speaker cable is very thin, upgrade it (check it's not hard-wired in). Made the most obvious improvement to my setup ages ago (from thick bellwire type, to cheapish QED 79-strand).
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 21:29   #26
Tempest
Trusted User

Amazing that these things are still running all these years later.
Can't complain can we

Re my comments about crispness, if I'm being fair, it's probably more down to the sourse.
I just connected up a Roland Keyboard to it, and in Stereo mode I get, what I think is the clearer sound, but of course, nothing out the rear's.
If I use another mode (cinema?) the sound it more "filling" but clarity gets lost.

Room wise, it's pretty good in that respect, not too much soft furnishings.
Speaker wire I think I'm generally in decent shape. I tend to find I have trouble setting connections done as the cable I generally get is a bit larger than the cheap bell wire I think they presume many till use.

Old 13-07-2020, 08:34   #27
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,077 Posts
Yes, looks to be a step up from the thinnest bell-wire, but you might still hear a difference with a greater diameter cable. You could buy a few feet to check it out? Or look in your garage/attic for some chunky electrical cable.

I like the top end too - I would often listen to audio cassettes with the dolby off, to increase the high frequencies. Or even record onto chrome tape and replay on the normal setting (that would really zing!)

The other thing of course is that as we age, our hearing loses sensitivity to the higher frequencies. My hearing curve is pretty poor and has been for some years. Too many gigs and too much time wearing headphones.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote