Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 11-06-2019, 13:29   #1
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,176 Posts
DOOM Eternal - Multi - March 2020

DOOM 2016 was brilliant so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Update: Delayed to March 2020 for PS4, XB1 and PC. Switch will come later. No word on Stadia.

Here's the E3 2019 story trailer:

Here's the E3 2019 gameplay demo:

And a Multiplayer Teaser:

Previous trailers / demos:

Quakecon 2018 demo: https://youtu.be/CGq8Ee2gOe4
E3 2018 teaser: https://youtu.be/_oVwrpfo_QA

Last edited by kanedaa; 08-10-2019 at 15:21.
kanedaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:25   #2
kanedaa

This is no longer coming out in November. Delayed to March 2020 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Switch version later. Not sure about Stadia.

The Doom 64 port is also delayed to March 2020. It will be a pre-order bonus as well.
Old 18-03-2020, 01:07   #3
eye__writ
Trusted User

Only a couple of days until release and I'm a little wary about it.

It's getting positive coverage from the media but I haven't liked the footage I've seen very much and particularly how they've decided to embrace the gaminess of the endeavour.

The sheer amount of neon **** everywhere kind of takes me out of the immersion I felt in the first game.

Having said all that, the standard tediously contrary review from Eurogamer seems to be pretty much the only dissenting voice, so I'll definitely play it, but with some slight apprehension.
Old 18-03-2020, 09:06   #4
Slender
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
Only a couple of days until release and I'm a little wary about it.

It's getting positive coverage from the media but I haven't liked the footage I've seen very much and particularly how they've decided to embrace the gaminess of the endeavour.

The sheer amount of neon **** everywhere kind of takes me out of the immersion I felt in the first game.

Having said all that, the standard tediously contrary review from Eurogamer seems to be pretty much the only dissenting voice, so I'll definitely play it, but with some slight apprehension.
I got the game in the mail yesterday and played it for about 30 minutes. Compared to the first game Eternal feels much less like you're in a real world location. You're put in arena's with loads of jump pads and different levels. You even have to find a yellow key in the first level so it really feels like the classic shooters. It also feels like you have less ammo because I'm constantly running out. So you constantly have to chainsaw enemies to gain more which is already starting to get annoying.
Other than that the game is fast, absolutely stunning to look at and the shooting is really satisfying.
Slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 08:43   #5
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,111 Times in 499 Posts
The eurogamer review is a joke, edwin is well known pompous writer - he could write essay or nothing at all and then "the colonial aspects of shredded wheat"

Have not got the game just yet but it seems a bigger and better version of the last game, not sure about the bits where you grapple hook? across platforms
Old 22-03-2020, 07:23   #6
ROne
Trusted User

I'm finding it slightly to difficult and a lot of trial and error to get through levels.

What happened to the suspense of Doom?

Also why is the POV so close; when you get into a close combat it's just too close to see what's going off.

That said I'm enjoying it but it's a long way from my favourite version of Doom (PS1).

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!
ROne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 00:37   #7
sharp_circle
Fantasist

I played it for about an hour and a half.....got bored. typical doom for me.Just not my thing.

The structure of the game is well crafted, and it looks great. The problem is it's just a bit dull.
Old 23-03-2020, 08:03   #8
kanedaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROne View Post
Also why is the POV so close; when you get into a close combat it's just too close to see what's going off.
I'm not sure what the range is but you can change the FOV in the options.
Old 23-03-2020, 08:10   #9
ROne
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedaa View Post
I'm not sure what the range is but you can change the FOV in the options.
Ah. Great. That's really useful thanks.

Red DRAGON / EPIC Digital Cinema Owner/Operator - if you want to make a film most things considered!
Old 23-03-2020, 08:11   #10
ROne
Trusted User

I'm actually playing Doom64 a bit now. Really enjoying it.

Old 23-03-2020, 23:33   #11
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Finished it. I enjoyed it lots, but it’s certainly more of an “arcadey” outing than the last one. The story takes the player all over dimensions etc, so it doesn’t have the same strength of setting as the last game. A lot of aspects in the level design are also very “gamey” and wouldn’t make sense in a real environment. I suppose it’s unashamedly more like an old school shooter, but I preferred the previous approach where it had one foot in a half-way tangible game world.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 07:58   #12
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Think I'll wait till its Ł20 as I have loads of games via gamepass. Also from all the reviews I've seen they messed up some aspects of the game like water level, sticky floors, new enemy that everyone hates.
Old 28-03-2020, 13:11   #13
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROne View Post
I'm actually playing Doom64 a bit now. Really enjoying it.

I’ve been playing DOOM 64. Got to the final boss and it was literally impossible to defeat. Apparently you can only do it by finding three secret keys in the campaign and three upgrades for the Unmaker. How was I supposed to know that?
Old 07-06-2020, 09:11   #14
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Got the game, really hate the marauder enemy, its dog **** of enemy design. When I was looking for tips on YT and the net, some gimps are very angry over criticism of the marauder one prat said "I will now debunk all the criticism blah blah"

Its over powered enemy thats cheap in a tiny room. Also it goes against all the game mechanics, but managed to beat him but was not fun
Old 08-06-2020, 10:51   #15
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Got the game, really hate the marauder enemy, its dog **** of enemy design. When I was looking for tips on YT and the net, some gimps are very angry over criticism of the marauder one prat said "I will now debunk all the criticism blah blah"

Its over powered enemy thats cheap in a tiny room. Also it goes against all the game mechanics, but managed to beat him but was not fun

Wait until you fight more later. I managed that first one pretty quickly, but there’s one you fight on a bridge a couple of missions later that I was stuck on for ages!

Like you say, it’s at odds with the rest of the game’s design. They’re a right pain when you have to deal with them whilst waves of other enemies are attacking. Also, those bloody dogs it spawns...
Old 08-06-2020, 15:33   #16
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmatetone View Post
Wait until you fight more later. I managed that first one pretty quickly, but there’s one you fight on a bridge a couple of missions later that I was stuck on for ages!

Like you say, it’s at odds with the rest of the game’s design. They’re a right pain when you have to deal with them whilst waves of other enemies are attacking. Also, those bloody dogs it spawns...
I killed that one on the bridge without losing a life, found a good tactic on youtube (works well for the bridge level where you have lots of room) keep far away from him and dodge his shield blast as he does his turning axe attack near you, super shotgun him, works most of the time. Sometimes the tosser will block it if microsecond early

saw one in slayer gate challenge, noped out of the challenge

No idea why the devs thought it was good, so many hate this enemy. Doom 2016 was more fun, the game should have original mode once you complete it to replay like the 2016 game