Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 02-05-2020, 14:17   #1
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

'No signal' on TV HDMI 2 port but HDMI 1 is fine ...

Hi all,

Before I panic and think about replacing the TV ... can anyone think why my Kogan (don't ask) TV might have a problem with connections to it's HDMI 2 port but not the HDMI 1 port ?

1. connect my XBox to HDMI 1 ... all good
2. connect my PC displayPort to HDMI 1 ... PC detects the 2nd monitor and PC sounds go through the TV speaker
3. connect my XBox to HDMI 2 [ with the same cable as (1) ] ... 'no signal'
4. connect my PC displayPort to HDMI 2 [ with the same cable as (1) ] ... PC doesn't detect the 2nd monitor TV shows 'no signal'

Any ideas what that maybe ? Could HDMI2 be about only port - even though it is shown on the TV's list of sources ? Could it just be a knackered port ?

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 03-05-2020 at 09:53.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 15:59   #2
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,654 Times in 556 Posts
I don't know about the display port, but my Xbox One absolutely had to go in HDMI 1 or it wouldn't recognise my display properly as 4K. And that's with a 2019 TV.

I'm just assuming that the different HDMI ports on your TV could be different specs.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:11   #3
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Yeah, maybe only HDMI 1 is HDCP compatible?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:23   #4
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post

This.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:56   #5
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I don't know about the display port, but my Xbox One absolutely had to go in HDMI 1 or it wouldn't recognise my display properly as 4K. And that's with a 2019 TV.

I'm just assuming that the different HDMI ports on your TV could be different specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliman5000 View Post
This.
Ah, OK.

Thanks all. Is there a way of 'making' it HDCP compliant through some adaptor ? Or is it case of the TV won't do what I had hoped in having the PC and XBox connected at the same time ? Even, worse case having the PC/XBox going through a switch into HDMI1 ?

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2020, 10:23   #6
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Ah, OK.

Thanks all. Is there a way of 'making' it HDCP compliant through some adaptor ? Or is it case of the TV won't do what I had hoped in having the PC and XBox connected at the same time ? Even, worse case having the PC/XBox going through a switch into HDMI1 ?

AFAIK HDCP is baked in, I certainly haven’t heard of any adapter and the common route is an HDMI switch.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:40   #7
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
AFAIK HDCP is baked in, I certainly haven’t heard of any adapter and the common route is an HDMI switch.
Ok.

Time to start looking for a switch. Ideally one with automatic switching based on priority.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:41   #8
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Ok.

Time to start looking for a switch. Ideally one with automatic switching based on priority.

Unfortunately it is one of those things that are buried in the TV specs and people don’t think about...until they start plugging things in.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:46   #9
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Unfortunately it is one of those things that are buried in the TV specs and people don’t think about...until they start plugging things in.
Tell me about it LOL

Is it quite common then - even on newer TV's - to only have 1 HDCP compliant HDMI port ?

Old 03-05-2020, 10:50   #10
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
Tell me about it LOL

Is it quite common then - even on newer TV's - to only have 1 HDCP compliant HDMI port ?

Very much so, ‘flagship’ models will have all HDMI ports HDCP compliant but as you start going down the models only a certain number of ports will be enabled, usually one or two.

When you start looking at the lesser known brands (not Panasonic, Sony, LG etc) I can only imagine it is a minefield and a lot of pot luck.

I have no idea of the manufacturing process for HDCP ports, but can only imagine it is a cost saving choice.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:57   #11
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,344 Times in 675 Posts
I've not heard of TV's with only 1 HDCP connection in years, bit odd.

HDCP is content specific. If you play Xbox games, those aren't content protected. People like to capture the game consoles for streaming and so, so Microsoft/Sony allow this. If it's a movie you are playing HDCP will kick in and you do need a complaint HDMI connection.

If you are playing 4K protected content, it's slightly different. There is a new standard HDCP 2.2. Also, for 4K60fps content you need HDMI 2.0, so on cheaper TV's these days they only provide 1 HDMI 2.0 port. This is then the only port with HDCP 2.2..
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 21:00   #12
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

OK - so one of these switches arrived yesterday and I finally got round to setting it up today. XBox One connected to one input port, PC displayport to another.

The PC can see the TV screen as a 2nd monitor When I turn the XBox on, the switch flips over to the XBox input and the TV shows the XBox dashboard However, when I then turn the XBox 'off' (hold down the home button and then select 'Turn console off') the TV goes to "No Signal" but the switch doesn't flip back to the PC input

The fact that the switch only flips to the XBox input when it's turned on implies the switch is working which suggests it is something the PC is doing or, rather, not doing
Old 06-05-2020, 22:23   #13
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
OK - so one of these switches arrived yesterday and I finally got round to setting it up today. XBox One connected to one input port, PC displayport to another.

The PC can see the TV screen as a 2nd monitor When I turn the XBox on, the switch flips over to the XBox input and the TV shows the XBox dashboard However, when I then turn the XBox 'off' (hold down the home button and then select 'Turn console off') the TV goes to "No Signal" but the switch doesn't flip back to the PC input

The fact that the switch only flips to the XBox input when it's turned on implies the switch is working which suggests it is something the PC is doing or, rather, not doing

I’m not surprised to hear this IF your PC has remained on throughout. Sounds like the switch you got supports CEC (good!) but in my experience it will only work when a new signal is invoked - a system is switched on.

Which would explain the switch when your turn your Xbox on, but it has no reason to switch to an already established source.

Does that make sense?

Imagine if you had a four port switch, if you turned all devices on one by one, you would expect the TV/switch to change one by one too right? But if you turned the active connection off (Xbox in this example), which port should the switch go to? It doesn’t know, so in short it just stays where it is.

It’s exactly the same with an AV unit. If CEC is enabled on all devices, the most recent one you turn on will invoke the AV unit to show it.

In short turn the current device off before switching on the new one, if you want it to auto switch back (when you turn the other back on).

Not ideal with a PC I realise, but I’ve never used any system that will switch back to the last used connection - not to say they don’t exist.
Old 06-05-2020, 22:27   #14
aliman5000
Clown X

Just to add I actually envy the fact that your switch auto changes when you turn your Xbox on - the only device that doesn’t do this on my AV unit is the Xbox because of the rubbish way MS have implemented CEC.

All other devices I use - Sky, Apple TV, TV Apps auto switch the AV unit. The Xbox will not.
Old 07-05-2020, 16:51   #15
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

It kind of makes sense though, to my mind, if it is clever to detect a new device then it should be clever enough to remember it it's state at the time.

Regarding your setup ... I was under the impression that auto switches didn't like Sky boxes as they never actually stop sending a signal unless they were unplugged.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 07-05-2020 at 16:53.
Old 07-05-2020, 18:16   #16
aliman5000
Clown X

Quote:
It kind of makes sense though, to my mind, if it is clever to detect a new device then it should be clever enough to remember it it's state at the time.

Regarding your setup ... I was under the impression that auto switches didn't like Sky boxes as they never actually stop sending a signal unless they were unplugged.

My Sky Q box powers on my receiver and selects the right input so no issues there.