Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 29-05-2019, 17:26   #1161
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
I was thinking more about Jamie Lannister's character arc stopping suddenly, and people complaining that it didn't go how they wanted.
What a wonderfully vague turn of phrase that completely negates any sense of disappointment or displeasure a viewer might feel over, well any form of entertainment that is poorly made.

Person A: "I REALLY didn't enjoy X-Men: The Last Stand and was very disappointed in how it ended."

Person B: "That's because it didn't play out the way you wanted!"

Sometimes crap is just crap.

Last edited by Shingster; 29-05-2019 at 18:37.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 18:51   #1162
Taq
Evil Scientist

The internet is full of opinions, not just yours.

A section of people (ie not you, but other people who exist who aren't you) on the internet were complaining that Jamie didn't get the character redemption arc they wanted, and my comment comparing Jamie to Rob was related to that.

Personally, I agree that the last season was rushed and fairly poorly thought out, with character motivations driven by the plot rather than vice-versa. But I still enjoyed it, and at least it had an end and not endless middle.
Old 29-05-2019, 19:39   #1163
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,186 Times in 837 Posts
I think Jamie did OK, he went to fight at Winterfell, did honourable things along the way a bit and the book writing was a nice touch. Did he slay his sister? No, but was he ever going to?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 20:52   #1164
Boink!
In the Good Place

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Or ... if Dany had sat on the throne, only to have Arya stick her needle through the back of the throne, into her (the way the camera panned round, I actually wondered if anyone was hiding back there).
Personally I think it would have been better if Ayra had stabbed Dany instead. She could have sneaked past the dragon easily, Jon would have seen her approach / kill, so Jon still gets the guilt of not stopping the inevitable and tells everyone he did it.

Everything else the same.

That would have been a good enough ending for me.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 21:30   #1165
MaxNutter

For me, the more ruthless things that Danaerys did in the early seasons showed that she did have a darker side, although not "slaughter the innocents" dark as yet, but still cruel.

Move forward to the last few episodes and she's lost two of her 'children', been 'betrayed' by her lover and two of her most trusted advisors, lost her two best friends and come to realise that Westeros would never accept her as the rightful heir, just a foreign conqueror.

This, coupled with her lust for the Iron Throne, was enough to finally "wake the dragon".

I can't see how it's a massive stretch, they talked about the Targaryen proclivity for madness from day one.

Quote:
Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.
and

Quote:
a Targaryen alone in the world a terrible thing
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by MaxNutter; 29-05-2019 at 21:35.
MaxNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 23:51   #1166
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
The internet is full of opinions, not just yours.
I was making a general point, I actually don't have any problem with Jaime's decision to go back to Cersei, and I've got no issue with someone saying they loved season 8 and found it flawless. I'm challenging the opinions of members here who don't feel certain aspects of this season has earned its widespread criticism.

Seeing as you've decided to accuse me of elevating my own opinion above others then I could say the exact same thing about you, couldn't I? All I have to do is refer you back to the numerous posts you've made attempting to dismiss the complaints across the interwebs of certain plotpoints of season 8 - including some absolutely disastrous attempts to point out similarities to plotpoints from earlier seasons that didn't come in for so much flak. Making general statements like "It just didn't go the way you want it to" to somehow dismiss the criticisms of a good portion of the show's fanbase (including a good number of the posters here) is elevating your own personal opinion above others much more than anything I'm doing. So what can I say?

And just for the record, like I have stated earlier in the thread: I'm happy with how it ended, and while I feel season 8 is the weakest season yet, I still found it entertaining. However, I fully understand why it has come in for some serious criticism and I believe much of it is valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
I think Jamie did OK, he went to fight at Winterfell, did honourable things along the way a bit and the book writing was a nice touch. Did he slay his sister? No, but was he ever going to?
Yeah I thought that was the most touching part of the finale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
I can't see how it's a massive stretch, they talked about the Targaryen proclivity for madness from day one.
Which of course stems from the fact that they've been marrying brother to sister for centuries, a small fact that D&D completely forgot about in season 8 when they introduced that groanworthy contrivance that the people of westeros wouldn't accept Jon and Dany marrying because they are Aunt and Nephew. Dany's own parents were siblings!

Last edited by Shingster; 30-05-2019 at 01:20.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 09:28   #1167
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Is there a streaming service that had the earlier seasons of got included? I can only find them on Amazon Prime but not included in the sub
Old 14-06-2019, 20:05   #1168
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

It's on NowTV at the moment.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 20:51   #1169
Stevie G
Dazed and confused

Only season 8 according to their site (before you're logged in)
Old 14-06-2019, 21:05   #1170
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Yeah, you're right, the earlier seasons have vanished now
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 19:30   #1171
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Last edited by Out for Justice; 16-06-2019 at 07:08.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote