PDA

View Full Version : General Forum Closure

ColinP
15-08-2020, 08:23
The General Forum has been closed. It is the source of 99% of all reported posts and we don't have the time or energy to deal with the constant bickering.

Over the last few years the active forum population has decreased - even I no longer want to visit here because of the atmosphere generated by certain users. I tried to reduce the level of moderation and become more flexible in what was allowed on the site as everyone here is an adult and should be capable to acting like so on a forum like this.

In that time certain remaining members have constantly felt the need to make remarks and comments that trigger ongoing feuds. Every single time I go to investigate a reported post the reporter has already had their say - at which point the moderation challenge has doubled. No one is able to just report and step away.

All I've ever asked is for people to think and be considerate before they post.

I've been accused of being the problem - with some pretty nasty comments both on site and in private messages. Myself and my family have been threatened by some ex members. I was making moves to introduce community moderation and while this had take longer than I had hoped the situation has continued to deteriorate with members being unable to discuss politics or other divisive subjects without falling into a continual funnel of insults, accusations and complaints.

Almost everyone here has been active on the site for over 10 years, some as long as the site has existed - I had hoped that those involved might have more respect for a the site than they clearly do. I fully expect to receive comments, emails and messages from people who think yet again I've made the wrong decision - maybe I have and yes this probably adds to your feeling that I am the problem with the site.

I've been accused of not acting, I've been accused of favouritism (despite banning members who have been friends IRL and active writers of the site), I've been accused of taking the wrong actions, I've been called all the names under the sun, I've had phone calls to my personal phone number from ex-forum members threatening me. I've been attacked by people across the political spectrum - including those who I broadly agree with. I'm past caring about this stuff now.

The rest of the forums will remain open for sensible discussion. If I find the general forum discord now spreads around other sections of the site I might need to reconsider that too.

I enjoy spending time on the non-forums area of the site creating content and working with people who are writing some amazing things that most of you don't give a damn about and are happy to dismiss in a few words or insults. That's where my passion has always been and The Digital Fix will continue with or without the forums.

The Bear
15-08-2020, 08:34
A shame it had to come to this.

I try and avoid the politics threads for that very reason. Too full of bickering at each other.

alsemail
15-08-2020, 08:47
Congratulations Colin, you've just killed the forum.

You lost interest in it years ago, you've let it fester, a number of times the solution was pointed out to you and you ignored it.

You finally decide to actually do something about it, but didn't actually do anything and it has continued on. Members were willing to help you out, for free and you've stuck your head in the sand, continually.

You don't care about the forum anymore so why should it's members. I'm out.

I don't care about the other content on the site. Maybe the writers are enthusiastic but it's limited, certainly anything I'd be interested in reading about is far too short and barely scraped the surface of what I'd want to know or call a review.

GL all, it was nice knowing you. I've enjoyed my time here but it's just going to die and the owner just admitted he doesn't care.

Colin, I wish you luck with the parts of the site that do interest you. Pull the plug on this part and let it die with a little dignity.

ColinP
15-08-2020, 08:54
Congratulations Colin, you've just killed the forum.

You lost interest in it years ago, you've let it fester, a number of times the solution was pointed out to you and you ignored it.

You finally decide to actually do something about it, but didn't actually do anything and it has continued on. Members were willing to help you out, for free and you've stuck your head in the sand, continually.

You don't care about the forum anymore so why should it's members. I'm out.

I don't care about the other content on the site. Maybe the writers are enthusiastic but it's limited, certainly anything I'd be interested in reading about is far too short and barely scraped the surface of what I'd want to know or call a review.

GL all, it was nice knowing you. I've enjoyed my time here but it's just going to die and the owner just admitted he doesn't care.

Colin, I wish you luck with the parts of the site that do interest you. Pull the plug on this part and let it die with a little dignity.

Point proven.

Goodbye.

AndyWilson
15-08-2020, 09:01
It's a pity, but if people want "robust" discussion I guess there's plenty of alternatives.

I don't know if my views or posts on occasion provoked reports or encouraged discussion that led to reports, but I do know I felt the need to use the "report" button less than a handful of times during my decades here, which to me implies Colin's moderation policy was working.

The General Forum will be missed, it's the only place online where I've felt comfortable debating politics - but I can understand the reasons why.

The Bear
15-08-2020, 09:07
It would be nice if we could just ban politics threads. It's the same on every forum I ever visit tbh. There's always trouble in them.

ColinP
15-08-2020, 09:08
It would be nice if we could just ban politics threads. It's the same on every forum I ever visit tbh. There's always trouble in them.

I did that and had the same accusations that I wasn't moderating properly.

ColinP
15-08-2020, 09:09
It's a pity, but if people want "robust" discussion I guess there's plenty of alternatives.

I don't know if my views or posts on occasion provoked reports or encouraged discussion that led to reports, but I do know I felt the need to use the "report" button less than a handful of times during my decades here, which to me implies Colin's moderation policy was working.

The General Forum will be missed, it's the only place online where I've felt comfortable debating politics - but I can understand the reasons why.

Thanks Andy. You were fine with your posts :)

GregB
15-08-2020, 09:17
Before I go, I'd like to say I fully support any decision Colin makes and I can only apologise if I played any part in the closure. It was never my intention.

shteve
15-08-2020, 09:24
I think this is a damn shame. Personally I've never seen a post I thought warranted reporting, but a few people did seem to have very thin skins with regard to some of the other posters. Is it possible to have the section back but remove the reporting ability? If people didn't like what they were reading, they always had the option to step away rather than asking someone to remove the comments they didn't like.

ColinP
15-08-2020, 09:30
I wouldn't want to do that - there are genuine legal reasons to report posts so I can't remove that option.

jockosjungle
15-08-2020, 09:38
Such a shame, I'll still be visiting for the other threads but hope there is enough to keep them going. I follow the Digital Fix but do find reading the articles via facebook to be what suits me now.

It's not the forums as such, seems to be society as a whole, people can't seem to stand to have an interesting discussion anymore, anything political, it just descends to abuse. I have it with my Trump supporting American friends, there is just no point having the discussion.

Thanks for all the hard work over the years Colin, it is appreciated.

No idea how much you've cost me in the way of bargains, can't believe really I've been here so long to have seen the rise of the DVD format, eagerly awaiting new releases of old stuff, £20 being a bargain, etc. To the realisation that charity shops now refuse to take DVDs.

It's been a fun ride and whilst initially I ignored the general forum in its heydey, I did enjoy the discussions and the advice. Overall we're an intelligent bunch, who might have disagreed sometimes, but would always be there for each other with advice on a gate in a fence or a new car.

driver8
15-08-2020, 09:56
Shame. I can't remember the last time I reported a post (for content) - years ago, for sure.

And a shame we couldn't keep it civil, with or without any newly appointed mods.

(I see the GF threads are still accessible individually, just not the forum-listing.)

I set up a brand new forum (https://nutritionchat.net/community/nutritionchat/) a few weeks ago that currently has me as the only active member! So for anyone who wants to discuss politics, I've just set up a couple of sub-forums - signing up will do me a favour (vet the process and my site-building skills). Then you can decide if you want to post or not (for anything non-TDF). Tips & suggestions welcomed.

Boink!
15-08-2020, 10:09
Sorry it has come to this Colin.

Stevie G
15-08-2020, 10:12
It would be nice if we could just ban politics threads. It's the same on every forum I ever visit tbh. There's always trouble in them.I agree with this. A lot of people try to have more considered debate but you never get people with strongly opposing hardwired political views being able to have reasoned debate and it nearly always just gets nasty, aggressive and personal.

I really hope it's not the death of the forums as it's still my first point of check-in, but it's definitely not been the same for some time.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

mnementh
15-08-2020, 10:14
Shame. This does seem to be a case of punish the many for the actions of the few. I was hoping the upcoming new moderators would have helped, but it seems the nuclear option has been the only choice.

I hope the decision can be revisited once Colin's had a break from the noise, but will understand if not.

I know I'm not a regular contributor, but I did enjoy (to a point) reading the threads, and threw in a post occasionally.

I hope the rest of the site survives

Marts62
15-08-2020, 10:15
Oh, thanks for letting us know, Colin. When I couldn't see the GD forum, I thought I had been inexplicably banned.

Now, if I could just get an invitation to that Elite Users Forum y'all started in 2006...

Ono
15-08-2020, 10:17
Ah crap. Such a shame.

The forums have been such a big part of my life and I really hope it remains as something useful for people but I do fear for the traffic. If not, please consider keeping as an open archive as I like to look back at some of the wonderful discussions and fun we've had over the last 20 years I have been here.

cjanderson
15-08-2020, 10:23
Shame
The general forum seemed the most active recently, posts in other forums get no debate (I would probably get more discussion on mumsnet about the last of us 2 than here did to sheer numbers of active members)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driver8
15-08-2020, 10:28
If not, please consider keeping as an open archive as I like to look back at some of the wonderful discussions and fun we've had over the last 20 years I have been here.
Yep - all the posts are still there, just that the GD root has been hidden.

https://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/subscription.php

scoobyood
15-08-2020, 10:37
This is a shame. Understandable points Colin. Sounds like this forum is a constant pain in your ass.

.. hoping to not further the pain... I tentatively wondering if I can make a small request or two or three... or four.. . :)

Can you move the cool picture thread to photography section. The youtube moments thread to TV section and move the electric car thread to Computing? :dork: It's not really computers as such, but there's no general technology sections.. the computing section is fairly dead. Maybe rename it 'Computing and Technology'. I've had some decent conversation in the EV thread and I think it's might be handy to reference posts as
more people get those cars.

I'm imagining you'll say no as everyone will then make similar requests, which is fair, but those would keep a few of the fairly benign threads going.

AdamBrunt
15-08-2020, 10:37
Oh, thanks for letting us know, Colin. When I couldn't see the GD forum, I thought I had been inexplicably banned.

Not just me then ... phew.

It is a shame that the General Forum has gone completely for the sake of a few individual threads - some of which were IMHO deliberately started purely to get a rise out of certain posters. I would have said that the other 99.99% of threads in the General Forum had no issues at all.

I would agree with earlier posts about the possibility of at least making it read only and/or searchable. The General Forum was a mine of useful information.

Psycho
15-08-2020, 10:46
Thatís a shame but I donít blame you! :)

I wouldnít post in certain threads due to the fact that they would easily get heated.

alsemail
15-08-2020, 10:49
Point proven.

Goodbye.

Nothing I haven't said to you before. A number of times.

I don't want to leave with a sour taste Colin, I really do wish TDF well and hope at the least it brings you some personal joy. Something that's been missing from your time spent working on the forum for the last few years.

To all I've laughed with, rubbed the wong way, debated hotly and maybe helped with the odd post. I wish you all well, I actually have tear in my eye as I type this as it's the end of a long-time here. I've loved this place, but that was then.

Maybe we'll bump into each other on another forum. Any AVF members? Over there I'm Sloppy Bob.

Bye all. :cry:

cjanderson
15-08-2020, 10:50
There are also lots of travel threads that could maybe be moved to another section?

kohoutec
15-08-2020, 11:01
Such a shame, especially as most of us left have been here for 20 odd years.
But no-one has the right to criticise Colin's decision, it's his perogative when it comes down to it.
I've never felt the need to report a post, despite some obvious massive personality clashes... When it comes down to it the majority of us are just random folk on the internet who will never meet.
Personally I'm gutted, and I would love a different outcome, but completely understand

Rob
15-08-2020, 11:06
It would be a shame if the forums disappeared. I've been posting and reading on here for 20 years and whilst I don't always agree with everybody, I've never felt the need to report anybody. I find most people are happy with a debate and even if it sometimes descends into a minor argument, that's fine.

However, I find it sad that Colin is subjected to hate mail and death threats. Incredible how people can become so angry at an online spat. Really sorry to hear that you have to put up with this kind of thing, Colin. It's been a pleasure to be a member here for so long and I appreciate all you have done for the site. I hope the forums can continue but respect whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes to all - life's hard enough at the moment, we don't need any more problems.

ColinP
15-08-2020, 11:47
Yep - all the posts are still there, just that the GD root has been hidden.

https://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/subscription.php

I'm not deleting anything and I will happily reinstate it as an archive soon.

Psycho
15-08-2020, 11:55
I like the idea of some threads being moved to other existing or new areas, i.e. Holiday/Travel, DIY/Home Improvements, Collectibles/Memorabilia, Funny/YouTube Moments, etc?

Basically splitting out some of the good elements of the General Form?

Not sure how easy it would be to do that?

ASH
15-08-2020, 12:01
First off thank you Colin for hosting it as long as you did. That people attacked you off forums is beyond belief.

Tht said this is a very sad day. I've been on these forums for over 20 years and it is the only bookmark I carry forward when i build a new rig.

I accept that a small number of people were abusive and should have just been banned, as it is the general population suffer because of them and a comfortable place where we could have a laugh, see what what new on youtube or just put a "Hey guys i discovered this today I think it's pretty cool" post has gone.

It feels a bit like the loss of an old friend.

Every day life seems to lose more of its shine.

Ds3
15-08-2020, 12:32
Sad day, and I have to say seems a bit of an overreaction. I can see why it was a drain on resources but it just needed moderating properly. A case of punishing the many for the actions of the few I feel.

I very rarely visit any other element of the forums but came to the general form daily for some very insightful and informative views on a wide range of subjects in amongst the pointless bickering.

Colin, I understand your position but I think this is a mistake for the forums. Had a moderating team been put in place the quality of the content would have improved along with the popularity of the forums, but as it stands I think you will lose a lot of contributing members as a result.

As a member for almost 20 years and someone who has not partaken in any of the childish bickering, I will miss these forums that have become a part of my daily routine for many years, but my incentive to visit is now gone so it’s ‘so long, and thanks for all the fish’ from me.

Ds3 over and out.

basegreen
15-08-2020, 13:04
Having had members on here try to contact me and family members off forum, I have every sympathy with Colin’s unwillingness to carry on.

That said, I can’t really understand why the moderator elections didn’t happen as deleting a few posts here and there usually does the trick and keeps stuff on track.

I think robust political debate is good, but the vitriol and anger at people with different views is really crazy especially when it results in abuse offline.

The only time I ever “rose” to it all was when being accused of being racist, which is a serious slur and untrue. It’s at times like a proxied argument with someone else as the replies didn’t match the original post in terms of tone and vim.

Colin - serious suggestion... why not reinstate the politics ban, reopen the forum and install a couple of mods. You’ll probably enjoy it more with others doing the work.

The Bear
15-08-2020, 13:29
Colin - serious suggestion... why not reinstate the politics ban, reopen the forum and install a couple of mods. Youíll probably enjoy it more with others doing the work.
Another option would be to put the politics stuff as a sub forum within General Discussion called Current Affairs. All the topical stuff can be hidden away there. Anyone who can't stop bickering once warned by a mod simply gets a 30 day ban from that sub forum (to be agreed with by two/three mods depending on however many are appointed).

That way they still have access to the rest of the forums. Repeat offenders can get longer bans, culminating in permaban from the sub-forum. If they bring it to the main forum then they get banned from the rest of the forums too. Simple.

Colin - It's clear you need to step away from moderation and appoint a small team to take away that stress from you. I've definitely got thick skin and couldn't care less if someone I've never met sends me abusive messages! I've banned plenty of people before on a other forum, and I use a VPN so no chance anyone can find out who I am or where I live. Stuff em if they can't play nice!

shteve
15-08-2020, 13:53
That sounds like a good idea. Would need active admins to make sure people don't start political threads in the General Discussion area, or if they do so, move the thread to the Current Affairs sub forum.

Jez
15-08-2020, 14:23
Thanks for all your hard work Colin, sorry you've had people giving you grief.

Abuse offline for a message board content, really? Do people really get that worked up?

Spaceranger2001
15-08-2020, 14:46
I echo the gratitude others have expressed for you Colin. Really hard to believe some have gone as far as to threatening you and yours, over words on a message board.

Shame it's come to this but if it has to be done so be it.

All the best

LV426
15-08-2020, 15:56
I sympathise. On another forum where I am "one of the team" we do have Politics, Brexit, forums and they also involve far greater management effort than any other - well maybe Football goes in there as well.

We do get some abusive contributions on topics where there are highly opinionated "fanbois" - LCD/LED vs OLED vs Plasma; this game console vs. that; etc., as well. But it's all "traffic"........

Bravoman
15-08-2020, 15:59
Gutted. The forum and its members have been a massive help and support to me over the years and I will miss the generally friendly and helpful advice received. I don’t think I ever felt the need to report a post or user. The block user function was always great until people quoted that user though.
Sorry to hear you have had such a hard time from this Colin, I can fully understand why you have pulled the plug, life is too short to take abuse like you’ve been getting from strangers., maybe one day you will feel happy to have the GF running again with some community moderators in place.

PS anyone recommend another decent forums with active General Discussion Forum?

ShaneC
15-08-2020, 16:00
Gutted, just came back to the forums as I am completely put off social media. General seemed like heaven compared to toxic twitter.

I don't think I've ever reported a post unless it was spam, not sure why people have that mentality. If you don't like what is posted, ignore it.

Sad to see someone upset Colin enough he has to take this action.

dvds2000
15-08-2020, 16:20
I'm sorry Colin, but you've just killed the forums, the rest of it gets hardly any traffic, having said that, nor did General compared to years ago.
I come here for the forums, I click through and read articles sometimes when I'm here, and use affiliate links from time to time, when I buy something.
No forums, the rest falls down for me.

You have closed the forum because of 2 or 3 members clearly trolling and, at times, being abusive. This was discussed 2 or 3 months ago, you said you were putting new mods in place and you didn't. The members involved should have been banned, or banned from the general forum, and because you didn't, this has happened. There were plenty of members offering to help out, it would have taken 2 minutes to set a poll up, and 5 minutes to change the member statuses to mods when the result was in.

Even if you don't have time to deal with the reports, where are the other mods, why aren't they dealing with them? Theres a couple still active I believe?

What a shame that 2 or 3 sad individuals who think they are clever, but in reality are just sad little tossers, have caused the death of a forum many of us have been members of for 20 years.

Thanks for the last 20 years Colin and all the members I have spoken to in that time, but I'm out now :(

Boink!
15-08-2020, 16:52
Can we stop blaming Colin for this?

Out for Justice
15-08-2020, 16:57
I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Wooglie
15-08-2020, 17:55
It's a shame that it's going, but if people keep on giving Colin flack then I can see why he does it.
Thanks for all your hard work Colin.

Ds3
15-08-2020, 18:31
I don’t think anyone is blaming Colin, and the fact he has received abuse outside of the forums is absolutely abhorrent.

But closing the general forum is cracking an egg with a sledgehammer and taking away what has become part of many people’s lives for two decades.

Ban anyone that is abusive and have a moderation team that can keep any contentious discussions on the straight and narrow. That’s how most forums run and do it very successfully.

These forums have been on a slippery slope for a long time now due to the lack of the above and this is just the bottom of the slope. Is very sad as it could all have easily been avoided, but it’s not Colin’s fault.

basegreen
15-08-2020, 19:10
I just don’t see the issue with having mods.

kohoutec
15-08-2020, 19:19
I think if I was getting abuse off forum I would have to think long and hard about carrying it on.
(Appreciate you've had the same Basegreen), that's bloody awful for anyone, and I really don't understand the mentality of someone who would do it (other than assume they had some serious issues)

basegreen
15-08-2020, 19:29
I think if I was getting abuse off forum I would have to think long and hard about carrying it on.
(Appreciate you've had the same Basegreen), that's bloody awful for anyone, and I really don't understand the mentality of someone who would do it (other than assume they had some serious issues)

Yeah, and I ended up not taking it further when it did turn out to be a mental health issue going on with the person concerned. Have had my own struggles in the past so a bit of kindness probably helped.

But not a lot of fun to try and explain to family why some random is trying to cause trouble due to me being openly Conservative online.
:nuts:

emeyedeejay
15-08-2020, 19:39
What a huge pity ... I've been an "off and on" member for 18 years and have recently started coming back more often as (anti)social-media was resulting in me seeing everything in a very negative light. It's toxic.

I'll definitely miss this place. Colin - thanks for the many, many hours you've given to this.

Is this really over a handful of users? :?:

AndyWilson
15-08-2020, 19:44
I do like the idea of moving some non-controversial threads. I’m on the verge of buying an electric car and was thinking the advice I’d get on here would be more independent than elsewhere on the net

Anyone making it political could just have a few Tesla batteries crocodile clipped to their gonads? :D

ColinP
15-08-2020, 20:11
OK - I accept that there is a lot of uncontroversial stuff in the General Forum and it IS a useful resource.

I think I feel like I've just been fighting a losing battle - I've banned political discussions twice (IIRC it was also one of the founding rules of the forums which was relaxed at some point) - the second time brought with it accusations that I wasn't running the site properly by the same people who have said the same above.

I wanted to instate community moderators but some of the people who ended up putting themselves forward were actually instrumental in causing some of the problems. There was also not a varied enough group of people and the site moderation would have been heavily weighted to right-leaning members. I really don't think that would help make things a friendlier.

And it isn't that I don't care about the forums - I wouldn't have put thousands of pounds of my own money into the site if I didn't. I would have closed the place down a long time ago if I didn't. I've just not been able to enjoy the place when certain members seem unable to avoid ******* all over the furniture.

I don't want to ban anyone - it's a small enough community now, and banning people isn't going to help that situation. I thought that people here would be able to take part in debate without it falling into the gaping chasms that it has done frequently. The whole to-and-fro over alleged racism over the last few days has been awful and I can't moderate something that constantly sees people arguing, deleting posts and posting snide comments.

So I'm at an impasse - I don't want to stop people who were enjoying the site and treating it with respect from using the General forum, but similarly I don't want to see countless midnight reports from people arguing and coming in to see the aftermath that is filled with abuse on both sides. I would love other people moderate the site, but I can't put together a team that reflects all sides and similarly I am responsible for everything that happens on here.

Thank you for the positive comments above - that has helped. For the record, outside of the forums I'm dealing with a lot of very difficult things at the moment including trying to protect my own mental health. In the past this is the place I would have turned to but I don't think I could do that now.

Am I really being unreasonable in asking people to firstly not post things that need reporting in the first place, and secondly accepting that people have different opinions and views and that discussions don't need to fall into a constant bait and attack?

alsemail
15-08-2020, 20:31
Am I really being unreasonable in asking people to firstly not post things that need reporting in the first place, and secondly accepting that people have different opinions and views and that discussions don't need to fall into a constant bait and attack?

Are you being ureasonable. No.

Are you being unrealistic when you asked for it, expected it and didn't get it on 243 previous occasions. Yes.

The lack of moderation has long been a problem Colin, you've told me previously on multiple occasions you were looking into it and it never happened and things got worse, and worse....
All decent, active forums have mods. You just need to look over on AVF to see how well run it is and I could name a fair few others. Ones that aren't properly moderated turn into the hellholes of the internet or die.

You have to ban people who are continually disruptive. If you think that's me, you should have banned me or at the very least warned me a few times before hitting the final banhammer.
IIRC you didn't even ban the people who threatened you... and then the few lunatics took over the asylum.

If you stopped enjoying the forum years ago, who's to blame for that?

Your own inaction has been the catalyst to it. If you're not enjoying it because you think it's toxic then it was time to do something about it then, and now you feel it's too late and not worth it.

Keep doing what you're enjoying. I hope your health gets better. I thank you for the many years I have enjoyed on here, all the laughs and lighter moments, the bargains, the opinions and the thought provoking commentary. At times it's been a real lifesaver although I've never maybe divulged that much about what was going on in my personal life. Maybe, just maybe I'll chuck on a crappy old DVD in memory of The DVD Forums. (I will have to dig a disc spinner out the loft, though, and there's all those spiders and I'm sure it's in that pile at the back... those spiders look big... maybe tomorrow)

cjanderson
15-08-2020, 20:38
Maybe try a month or two without allowing any political posts in the forum. So that includes current events I suppose like statues and jk Rowling stuff. And coronavirus when it strays into politics over working from home impacts.
There are enough of us keen to keep the general forum open to keep an eye on stuff and say ďlook this is getting political rather than factualĒ and try and keep topics on topic.
And us members also need to create new threads as well to keep discussion going. About holidays or whatever.

Ds3
15-08-2020, 20:45

Are you being unrealistic when you asked for it, expected it and didn't get it on 243 previous occasions. Yes.

The lack of moderation has long been a problem Colin, you've told me previously on multiple occasions you were looking into it and it never happened and things got worse, and worse....
All decent, active forums have mods. You just need to look over on AVF to see how well run it is and I could name a fair few others. Ones that aren't properly moderated turn into the hellholes of the internet or die.

You have to ban people who are continually disruptive. If you think that's me, you should have banned me or at the very least warned me a few times before hitting the final banhammer.
IIRC you didn't even ban the people who threatened you... and then the few lunatics took over the asylum.

Your own inaction has been the catalyst to it. If you're not enjoying it because you think it's toxic then it was time to do something about it then, and now you feel it's too late and not worth it.

Keep doing what you're enjoying. I hope your health gets better. I thank you for the many years I have enjoyed on here, all the laughs and lighter moments, the bargains, the opinions and the thought provoking commentary. At times it's been a real lifesaver although I've never maybe divulged that much about what was going on in my personal life. Maybe, just maybe I'll chuck on a crappy old DVD in memory of The DVD Forums. (I will have to dig a disc spinner out the loft, though, and there's all those spiders and I'm sure it's in that pile at the back... those spiders look big... maybe tomorrow)

Whilst somewhat bluntly worded, thereís some truth to this.

Colin.

Firstly, protect yourself. Do whatever is necessary for that to happen. You donít deserve abuse and anyone that has stepped out of line should be kicked in to touch without a second thought.

Secondly, pick people YOU think will make good moderators. ******* the public vote. Itís your site. Chose some people you think are around enough and sensible enough to look after them.

Whatever happens, thank you for 18 years of daily enjoyment, please be aware of how grateful the majority of the members are for that.

wasted
15-08-2020, 20:46
Just ban anything politcal or religious, give a 3 strike and your out warning, there are only a few people who are pushing this, and no need to punish all the people who have been here for the last 20 years who joined up to see whats happening with this new fangled DVD format and stayed here because there are some really nice people and some great chats, it would be a travesty to loose all that because a few people are politically motivated to destroy what we have here. I am not a huge poster, but I am a huge reader, and have done for 20 years, lets not loose what we have. Also mods help alot, lets not loose all this.

The Bear
15-08-2020, 21:08
I don't think it matters whether mods are left or right leaning. As long as they're sensible enough to see when arguments are getting out of hand.

scoobyood
15-08-2020, 21:15

Keep doing what you're enjoying. I hope your health gets better.You put yourself forward for modding in the other thread but taking your comments in this one as an example, you've thrown a bit of wobbly, seemingly quit the forum entirely and then been generally confrontational... which in my opinion, shows you are lacking the necessary chill to be an objective 'moderator'.

I think most people here are middle aged and have been posting here for 20 years or there abouts. It's surprising that it's this hard to keep things civil. I'm pretty close to 40 and have also turned away from social media. It's all noise. Reddit I do use as an aggregator. Now more than ever it feels like there is a space for a traditional, moderate forum. Familar names and avatars have a value, as even with disagreement, you can track bias and personality. That's important and it gets lost in those noisy platforms. It would be a shame to lose this place.

Politics is a molten hot potato right now. You literally can't buy a loaf of bread without having to follow government guidelines. It will continue to spill into a lot of threads. Not sure what the solution is.

There was a thread a few months back on having a shuffle of the sections, merge areas of low traffic and trying to drive conversation into new more structured topics. I'd say keeping the ban on 'general' chatter for a couple weeks might clear the decks and push people to new conversations in the other sections. A little break and a clear head might offer some perspective, then a few 'tidy up' options may present themselves to funnel people into a more manageable structure and some new rules.

At the end of the day, we are here for conversation, not shouting. The sections are mere arbitrary constructs. I'm happy to chat wherever.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

alsemail
15-08-2020, 21:45
You put yourself forward for modding in the other thread but taking your comments in this one as an example, you've thrown a bit of wobbly, seemingly quit the forum entirely and then been generally confrontational... which in my opinion, shows you are lacking the necessary chill to be an objective 'moderator'.

I only put myself forward as it was me "throwing a wobbly" that got Colin to admit, eventually, the site needed some moderation/he needed help.
I don't particularly want to be a mod here, nor do I think I'm uniquely the correct individual to be one but as I started the thread on it, it seemed a bit disingenuous to then just leave everyone else to it after being the initiator of the discussion.

I'm confrontational as this is a place I've loved and it just keeps on declining, with nothing to stop until it hits the bottom and this may very well be it.

I don't see it that "I've thrown a wobbly" here though. The site has kept declining, the solutions are pretty obvious, but they're ignored in favour of trying to keep everyone happy, which is totally unrealistic and hasn't worked at all, for years.

Forums need active moderation. Active mods keep discussion focused and on topic. They nip things before they spill out of control.
Troublemakers need warned/suspended/banned according to their history. This keeps the forum from becoming toxic and may actually encourage new members to hang around and older ones to return.

All I've tried to regarding this topic is honest about how I feel and what I see the problems are. In this thread, the one I started and the one on moderation.

It's pretty obvious nothing is going to change here, Colin is going to ask us, once again, to be nicer and not post and .... and the merry go round continues. I think this is me getting off the ride.

Bye all.

scoobyood
15-08-2020, 21:57
I only put myself forward as it was me "throwing a wobbly" that got Colin to admit, eventually, the site needed some moderation/he needed help.

I don't particularly want to be a mod here, nor do i think I'm uniquely the correct individual to be one but as I started the thread on it, it seemed a bit disingenuous to then just leave everyone else to it after being the initiator of the discussion.

I'm confrontational as this is a place I've loved and it just keeps on declining, with nothing to stop until it hits the bottom and this may very well be it.

I don't see it that "I've thrown a wobbly" here though. The site has kept declining, the solutions are pretty obvious, but they're ignored in favour of trying to keep everyone happy, which is totally unrealistic and hasn't worked at all, for years.

Forums need active moderation. Active mods keep discussion focused and on topic. They nip things before they spill out of control.

Troublemakers need warned/suspended/banned according to their history. This keeps the forum from becoming toxic and may actually encourage new members to hang around and older ones to return.

All I've tried to regarding this topic is honest about how I feel and what I see the problems are.Don't think I'm having a go. I don't know you well enough so I'm not being personal. You are clearly passionate about the place, no problem with that.

But in this case, it's clearly not only about the forum threads. Read between the lines.. It's the overhead, the hassle and the blow back. Modding is handing over the keys and if Colin gets blow back for essentially 'siding with people' who are given the keys, that doesn't solve anything. It just brings more hassel. If the man is clearly on the edge of shutting the whole thing down.... Maybe just respect that. People have their own lives to live, what's the point in having a go?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arthur Fowler
15-08-2020, 22:41
Whilst somewhat bluntly worded, thereís some truth to this.

Colin.

Firstly, protect yourself. Do whatever is necessary for that to happen. You donít deserve abuse and anyone that has stepped out of line should be kicked in to touch without a second thought.

Secondly, pick people YOU think will make good moderators. ******* the public vote. Itís your site. Chose some people you think are around enough and sensible enough to look after them.

Whatever happens, thank you for 18 years of daily enjoyment, please be aware of how grateful the majority of the members are for that.Well put.

kohoutec
15-08-2020, 22:52
I like the idea mentioned earlier about a political/current affairs/whatever you want to call it subforum where members could get temporary (or if it came to it, permanent) bans if needed.
I don't personally think banning political threads is helpful, with all that's going on in the world right now they will understandably be the busiest (and most heated) threads, but also for many the most engaging.
When the politics ban was in place it felt "really* quiet in the general discussion forums

Of course all of the above would mean a decent moderation team though

Arthur Fowler
15-08-2020, 23:19
I wanted to instate community moderators but some of the people who ended up putting themselves forward were actually instrumental in causing some of the problems. There was also not a varied enough group of people and the site moderation would have been heavily weighted to right-leaning members. I really don't think that would help make things a friendlier.

Happy to help if you want Colin. Think your choice of mods rather than a vote would be sensible.

driver8
16-08-2020, 07:36
Yep - I think Colin should choose his mods by PM if he's got a couple of people in mind. (I remember you did approach a few of us some years back, with the lure of splobber's goat pr0n collection!)

This place has been buzzin' in 2020 thanks to world events and the lockdown, and I'm pretty sure I've read every single word that's been written on these forums since the end of 2019!

The political threads can get feisty for sure, but they can be enjoyably frustrating! I'm honestly not sure why people don't just keep scrolling rather than hanging around to get upset. (Although I understand the frustration of strawmen, 1-sided/deaf arguments and random links to twitter).

I wonder if it's possible to turn off the 'report post' option at thread level? And then we can have political threads without Colin getting inundated with reports. (And the occasional thread can be assigned to a 'gloves off' mode!)

Or is there a way to assign a thread/forum over to specific mod/s? That way, extra mod/s can police the individual (political) threads, or the GF as a whole.

AdamBrunt
16-08-2020, 13:00
On that last point ... not sure what software this forums is using but most of them allow you associate mods with particular sections

shteve
16-08-2020, 13:00
I'm pretty sure I've read every single word that's been written on these forums since the end of 2019!

I wonder if it's possible to turn off the 'report post' option at thread level? And then we can have political threads without Colin getting inundated with reports. (And the occasional thread can be assigned to a 'gloves off' mode!)

Clearly not :D

I wouldn't want to do that - there are genuine legal reasons to report posts so I can't remove that option.

malcy
16-08-2020, 13:38
You can’t not have a report post option if you want to protect yourself from serious legal consequences.

A current example is the MP recently accused of serious crimes who can’t be named in the UK either in press or online like here. If someone here posted a link to a foreign news site naming them or a twitter post doing the same there’s serious repercussions for Colin. He needs to be able to immediately delete the post and ban the member posting it.

You can’t just have a free for all.

driver8
16-08-2020, 14:21
Interesting, I didn't know that. :)

AndyWilson
16-08-2020, 15:40
I don’t see how you can ban politics though? It intrudes into every area. Even the Movies forum can get controversial, I felt that there was a tendency for films with female leads to attract excessive criticism from some for being too “woke” - and that opinion turned out to be VERY unpopular. And that was undoubtedly a political opinion.

So where do you draw the line?

Is it ok for someone to post “That movie is rubbish because it’s woke”?
Is it ok for me to reply “that sounds like someone on rotten tomatoes “?

I guess the answer is that 90% of these problems occur in the General Forum and Colin can handle the other 10%?

ColinP
16-08-2020, 16:14
OK - the General Forum has been re-opened.

I have closed a number of threads. The general discussion points of these threads are fine but they all crossed the line in some of the posts. Therefore I will permit new threads on these subjects to be opened if anyone wants to sensibly discuss the situation.

I have also made a post in the Moderator Elections thread - I've already outlined my concerns earlier in this thread so now the decision on moderators will be down to me from those that put themselves forward. I will be choosing THREE moderators who will be responsible for the General Forum only. If you want to put yourself forward as a moderator and haven't done so already then please post in that thread as soon as you can. I will be deciding moderators during the next seven days.

Similarly if you have previously put yourself forward and have since decided against being a moderator then also please let me know in that thread.

Going forward if things descend to this level again I will again close the General Forum to take remedial action - it's impossible to make fair decisions when people are attacking each other editing and deleting posts so please if you want to reports something please do but DO NOT RESPOND. Closures of the forum will be implemented to clear up any cross-thread fallout and unless there are extreme reason this wouldn't be permanent.

Shingster
16-08-2020, 16:52
I'm sorry you've had to deal with all this crap Colin and I'm sorry for whatever part I played in getting the General Forum locked down, I'm just not the type of person to let other members deliberately insult me without reacting, but if a mod is there to chastise any offending posts for me, then there is no need for me to.

I said it in the incriminating thread, but there are too many accusations of prejudice and bigotry on these boards, to reply to this comment:

So where do you draw the line?

Is it ok for someone to post “That movie is rubbish because it’s woke”?
Is it ok for me to reply “that sounds like someone on rotten tomatoes“?
It is perfectly acceptable to reply "that sounds like someone on rotten tomatoes", you're just challanging an opinion and highlighting the typical internet response to "woke" films, and ultimately it will invite what I would expect to be healthy debate. It is NOT ok to say "you're a misogynist". That's personally accusing a member of being a bigot, flat out. Based on comments about a film. The notion that any member of these boards actually has a problem with films with female leads is frankly ridiculous imo given the films we all championed back in the heydey of asian cinema in the noughties (which are often a lot more female-centric than anything Hollywood is doing even today), but there you go. Simply floating the idea that viewers here seem to be taking issue with female-led movies is also perfectly fine, you're not deliberately accusing anyone personally of anything, just making a general observation which is open to a counter-argument where members can defend their prior criticism.

The main problem we have in the political forum is that certain members will float an idea, argument, or comment (usually taken from twitter or a national newspaper) and they will sit and wait, and when a member comes along who posts the specific response they are after, no matter how innocuous or tangentially connected that response may have been, they then pounce and convert that comment into the inflammatory response they were originally after by taking it and twisting it completely out of context, or they just resort to snide remarks or direct insults, so things escalate from there. All you need Colin is those mods to step in and tell these people to stop and nobody to reply to them. If you can set it up so that the report a post function goes to those mods and not you, then even better. I know how busy you are and you definitely don't need to be dealing with any coonflicts unless they become a legal issue.

Does Alsemail know that you're taking mod nominations again Colin? I would strongly urge you get in touch with him to let him know if he hasn't already put himself forward again and I would recommend you take him on. I know he might have been very blunt and bit of a pain in this thread one or two times, but that's obviously because he really gives a **** and I think he would be fair and unbiased in the position.

As for people reporting and making personal threats, have people attacked you recently over all this, or are you just talking in general over the years? That sounds pretty nuts!

cjanderson
16-08-2020, 17:05
there are tons of threads i could post on the importance of female leads, even in rubbish movies, why are they judged so harshly (ie one failure on something like ghostbusters means "no one likes female led movies", why is it so poor that many movies don't even have 2 female characters who even speak to one another, yet there is zero point discussing it in a forum which is 99% male posters. So its a topic to just stay away from debating here mostly.

I still throw in criticism of movies where there is mostly no women who interact with any other women (i probably mentioned it in Spiderman far from home comments, you have a ton of male students/teachers and One female who speaks and one female who snogs a bloke the entire time and one aunt May) but you just get snark when you mention it.

(i have feminism forums one can discuss this on anyway)

basegreen
16-08-2020, 17:16
OK - the General Forum has been re-opened.

I have closed a number of threads. The general discussion points of these threads are fine but they all crossed the line in some of the posts. Therefore I will permit new threads on these subjects to be opened if anyone wants to sensibly discuss the situation.

I have also made a post in the Moderator Elections thread - I've already outlined my concerns earlier in this thread so now the decision on moderators will be down to me from those that put themselves forward. I will be choosing THREE moderators who will be responsible for the General Forum only. If you want to put yourself forward as a moderator and haven't done so already then please post in that thread as soon as you can. I will be deciding moderators during the next seven days.

Similarly if you have previously put yourself forward and have since decided against being a moderator then also please let me know in that thread.

Going forward if things descend to this level again I will again close the General Forum to take remedial action - it's impossible to make fair decisions when people are attacking each other editing and deleting posts so please if you want to reports something please do but DO NOT RESPOND. Closures of the forum will be implemented to clear up any cross-thread fallout and unless there are extreme reason this wouldn't be permanent.

I canít see the General Forum?

kohoutec
16-08-2020, 17:53
It's on a need to know basis [emoji38]
(Neither can I!)

The Bear
16-08-2020, 18:07
There's should be no problem discussing politics on any thread no matter what the subject, as long as its done respectfully that is. Arguing is fine, within limits. But bickering and baiting needs to be stamped out that much is clear.

ColinP
16-08-2020, 18:21
Trying to work out what the hell I did to actually remove it now :-/

ColinP
16-08-2020, 18:24
Is it visible now?

cjanderson
16-08-2020, 18:30
Yes, I can see it now

basegreen
16-08-2020, 18:30
Nope.

It was a strange removal. It seemed be hidden rather than permissions revoked.

As links into it still worked.

Now it looks more permission related. So possibly two things. Vbulletin is a labyrinth sometimes.

Edit: now working a few min later

fivebyfive
16-08-2020, 18:31
I do think there should be current affairs forum as someone else mentioned. to keep the general forum free of the threads that can get a bit "heated"

I have noticed some snide comments in the film and tv that any one does not like something is some kind of "bigot/misogynist right winger" but they mean alt right of course. If you like something and someone else does not, just be respectful of others and others will do the same for you (mostly)

Arthur Fowler
16-08-2020, 19:26
Is it visible now?

Yes, but looks like posts need to be moderated before being shown.

Shingster
17-08-2020, 05:24
there are tons of threads i could post on the importance of female leads, even in rubbish movies, why are they judged so harshly (ie one failure on something like ghostbusters means "no one likes female led movies", why is it so poor that many movies don't even have 2 female characters who even speak to one another, yet there is zero point discussing it in a forum which is 99% male posters. So its a topic to just stay away from debating here mostly.That's a shame, it would be nice to have discussion in the film forum that doesn't fall into the Star Wars/MCU/Superpowers ultra mainstream bracket. 2020 was shaping up to be a stellar year for cinema here int he UK before the COVID hit and IMO most of the best films released before April were female led.

basegreen
17-08-2020, 07:10
Im not a movie buff, but is pushback against female led films actually a thing (on here)??

ColinP
17-08-2020, 08:21
I think it's working now.

Spaceranger2001
17-08-2020, 08:41
Im not a movie buff, but is pushback against female led films actually a thing (on here)??

Depends on how you define pushback, Ripley, Sarah Connor, Original Trilogy Princess Leia well written characters you could get behind regardless if you are a man or woman.

Empowering these days seems to come at the expense of making someone else look stupid or weak.

Or simply put a woman in a man's character with little change if any. I would site Batwoman as an example she approaches fights just like Batman does without the bulk. RR is not a MMA fighter but she throws around men twice her weight because writing. Pushback here is that it is ludicrous that she can do that, there is no real world explanation that Nolan pioneered. Plus the writing is meh Kryptonite Bullet against Batwoman :doh:

My view of a real world type Batwoman is that she should be more stealthy and use more brains than Braun.

cjanderson
17-08-2020, 09:00
Fair comments but we donít tend to see that criticism of all the other daft superheroe shows. And itís important to have female leads and having a gay female lead is even more important.
Same as having bame superheroís are important and if the writing isnít 10O%, well it can improve, we have Tons of meh white male superheroes but if they fail, itís not because ďpeople donít want to watch those sort of heroesĒ
Anyone, one for another forum.

ColinP
17-08-2020, 10:45
Depends on how you define pushback, Ripley, Sarah Connor, Original Trilogy Princess Leia well written characters you could get behind regardless if you are a man or woman.

Empowering these days seems to come at the expense of making someone else look stupid or weak.

Or simply put a woman in a man's character with little change if any. I would site Batwoman as an example she approaches fights just like Batman does without the bulk. RR is not a MMA fighter but she throws around men twice her weight because writing. Pushback here is that it is ludicrous that she can do that, there is no real world explanation that Nolan pioneered. Plus the writing is meh Kryptonite Bullet against Batwoman :doh:

My view of a real world type Batwoman is that she should be more stealthy and use more brains than Braun.

Off topic, but unless those same criticisms are applied to male characters then it feels like there's an agenda at work.

Boink!
17-08-2020, 11:14
Off topic, but unless those same criticisms are applied to male characters then it feels like there's an agenda at work.

True.

AdamBrunt
17-08-2020, 12:36
I think it's working now.

Not showing here using Tapatalk

EDIT: Yes it is - I just needed to refresh the forum list

cliff homewood
17-08-2020, 13:15
So I only visit the forums lunchtimes at work, it all seems to have blown up over the weekend. Thanks Colin for reinstating the general forums and keeping th eplace going still. Like any decent person sorry to hear you are getting personal abuse and threats from the forums, this is not on. If death threats shouldn't they be reported to the Police? Depends how hard you want to go on the person doing them, its a personal judgement call.

You've always got to put your health first however liek everybody else here this place is like a family, I've had discussions about trans rights and black lives matters, which are two highly controversial areas (the latter shoudln't be in the modern age, but what do you do?) and its been good to have intelligent conversations without a) being derided for ones own views and b) not being hit by racism etc.

It's been a place I've trusted and turned too for a long time for any interesting discussion or help. It's a shame you feel it's not there for you when you could do with it as a crux now, i suppose that's life, but harsh when the creator can no longer fully enjoy his creation, yet many of us do and have leaned on it in the past.

Glad to hear general is back open, as I also felt this place woudl die without free discussion, jsut blocknig whatever threads are causing your issue. Personally never report anything, if people are going along a track or diatribe I don't like I just abandon the thread, but as an owner you don't get that luxury!

Shingster
17-08-2020, 13:45
Fair comments but we don’t tend to see that criticism of all the other daft superheroe shows. And it’s important to have female leads and having a gay female lead is even more important.
Same as having bame superhero’s are important and if the writing isn’t 10O%, well it can improve, we have Tons of meh white male superheroes but if they fail, it’s not because “people don’t want to watch those sort of heroes”
Anyone, one for another forum.I hate Batwoman about as much as every other DC show, but the fact that it's putting representation out there does make it more "important" than say Gotham, which is probably on my personal shortlist of the worse scripted drama I've seen on TV in the last 30yrs.

If someone wanted to watch a superhero show with LGBTQ representation then I'd recommend Umbrella Academy, although it's probably not as good as Batwoman in terms of representation.

fivebyfive
17-08-2020, 15:19
If there was super hero film with 8/9 stone man beating up MMA fighters (unless its a parody - which is far enough) it would be ridiculed. It does not happen really, also tony stark (just a normal man physically) can only fight bad guys due to his armour. So, No there is no agenda at work. BTW people really like the Wonder woman film and WW 1984 is probably going to be good

as shingster said there is better shows with LGBTQ representation in that genere like UA. Even Doom Patrol (which is bit out there) has gay main character that is well written and the female characters (Jane and Rita) are well written and not just "strong woman trope" but hey its easy to scream sexist at people for not liking batwoman tv show

shteve
17-08-2020, 15:30
Even in the DC TV universe you've got Legends which has quite a diverse ensemble crew of race and sexuality, feels much less forced than in the other shows.

jockosjungle
17-08-2020, 15:36
Nice to see it back.

Spaceranger2001
17-08-2020, 15:45
Did not mean for this thread to divert from is intended use. I added my comment to the TV forum .

Main issue if these shows keep going with identity and sexuality as a character's main feature these shows will die off. Then you have no shows with the representation you want. Gay or straight or whatever has to take 2nd place to a good character and storytelling.

Look at Batwoman and Supergirl viewing figures they don't lie the shows with the highest amount of identity politics are loosing viewers. The people they expect to watch this show are not.

Wowbagger
17-08-2020, 20:51

She'd probably only need the Braun for her legs and armpits.

Boink!
17-08-2020, 21:02

https://i.imgur.com/mFNkB4O.gif

Spaceranger2001
17-08-2020, 21:25

Dam yew autocorrect dam yew strait two hall

Apostate
19-08-2020, 19:19
Only just read this thread and had no idea all this was going on. Surprised to read about posters and their families being abused off-site. How does anyone find out who you are?

Bravoman
20-08-2020, 15:52
Only just read this thread and had no idea all this was going on. Surprised to read about posters and their families being abused off-site. How does anyone find out who you are?

Why does anyone care? How sad is your life that you feel the need to do that?

driver8
20-08-2020, 16:15
Yes, very weird.

I seem to remember someone (DeadYankee?) getting phone calls to his workplace too, in attempts to discredit him to his employers.

fivebyfive
20-08-2020, 16:30
It was someone called steford (nasty arsehat of forum person, thankfully gone), some psycho in the gaming forum tried to get me sacked back in 2009-ish with fake stories because I didn't worship the ps3 like him. :nuts: Pretty sure it was one of the squirtle re-regs :suspect:

jockosjungle
20-08-2020, 18:09
I recall years ago I posted a bargain of 3 DVDs for £30 in ASDA, it was a national offer. Someone decided to grass me up to ASDA head office and try and get me sacked.

Apostate
20-08-2020, 20:24
Yes, very weird.

I seem to remember someone (DeadYankee?) getting phone calls to his workplace too, in attempts to discredit him to his employers.

Equally weird is disclosing information to strangers on a forum that allows them to track you down.

fivebyfive
20-08-2020, 20:36
Equally weird is disclosing information to strangers on a forum that allows them to track you down.

its more weird when they piece it together from your location and odd comment in other threads of your job. Some serial killer **** there

The forum has had some nutters over the years that apple freak, the "bluray war" nut jobs. I had someone have a "essay rant breakdown" at me for not liking a game he liked :cuckoo: (hopefully he is in a padded cell with lobotomy)

DeadYankee
20-08-2020, 23:45

Nice to finally find out it was my fault all along! Skirt too short.

Just posting to say Iím sorry to see whatís happened. Hope it recovers. And to say it isnít me thatís been abusing Colin, in case you were wondering.

The politics of populism has made online interaction impossible for anything vaguely political. Itís a global disease, not one of this forum. So, whilst I do very much blame some individuals for their trashing of the Covid threads, this was all inevitable.

Donít dismiss the content on the Digital Fix site. Itís quality and made by good people.

Bye again

driver8
21-08-2020, 07:21
Equally weird is disclosing information to strangers on a forum that allows them to track you down.whoah ... victim blame, much? :doh:

its more weird when they piece it together from your location and odd comment in other threads of your job. Some serial killer **** there

Nice to finally find out it was my fault all along! Skirt too short.Hey, hi DY. :wave: It would appear that you've got a google alert set up for your username ... so we can summon you, like a forums superhero! :D

Apostate
21-08-2020, 08:22
whoah ... victim blame, much? :doh:

it's just common sense

SIMON ADEBISI
21-08-2020, 09:08
Sad to see it's come to this. I used to love this place so much but stopped posting years ago when the infighting got too much. Every thread was ruined by some idiot from Newcastle (Dizzy?) and the inevitable pile on that happened when he posted.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

driver8
21-08-2020, 10:12
hehe ... yeah, Tizza ... he's long gone.

DeadYankee
21-08-2020, 12:12
whoah ... victim blame, much? :doh:

Hey, hi DY. :wave: It would appear that you've got a google alert set up for your username ... so we can summon you, like a forums superhero! :D

Ha. No, I had a PM in my emails so I stopped by to say hello

Hello

shteve
21-08-2020, 12:52
Ha. No, I had a PM in my emails so I stopped by to say hello

Hello

We're trying to make it nicer again. Stick around, we've missed you.

monkeyman
21-08-2020, 13:22
I stopped posting in the General forum a long time ago more due to a lack of empathy in some posters than anything else. Always felt you needed to be stronger with some people who seem to find it amusing to poke the bear with a stick rather than have reasoned debate with anyone. The current COVID threads are a case in point.
I think it was a food bank thread that finished me off when Iíd posted about the good work our local food bank did and the general response was ď lazy people like free food- who knew..)
I hope it stays open Colin, Iíve been here for many years, but it has needed a slightly firmer hand for some time

SIMON ADEBISI
21-08-2020, 15:41
hehe ... yeah, Tizza ... he's long gone.That's the one.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

basegreen
21-08-2020, 16:22
I stopped posting in the General forum a long time ago more due to a lack of empathy in some posters than anything else. Always felt you needed to be stronger with some people who seem to find it amusing to poke the bear with a stick rather than have reasoned debate with anyone. The current COVID threads are a case in point.
I think it was a food bank thread that finished me off when Iíd posted about the good work our local food bank did and the general response was ď lazy people like free food- who knew..)
I hope it stays open Colin, Iíve been here for many years, but it has needed a slightly firmer hand for some time

The only thing I wish about food banks is that they were all organised by the church or local mosque or whatever.

During lockdown the local Muslims got together and created a huge help at home scheme for the village. Absolutely brilliant.

andybhoy
28-09-2020, 16:01
hehe ... yeah, Tizza ... he's long gone.

I had many a run in with Tizza, including him offering to fight me.

I lived locally to him, so we had a chat and .... turns out heís actually a lovely bloke, just easily wound up. He fixed my mums door lock for free when she lost her front door key -wouldnít even take the price of a pint, let alone the actual cost of the lock and his time.

jockosjungle
29-09-2020, 15:47
So who won the fight?

ascender
29-09-2020, 20:22
I had many a run in with Tizza, including him offering to fight me.

I lived locally to him, so we had a chat and .... turns out heís actually a lovely bloke, just easily wound up. He fixed my mums door lock for free when she lost her front door key -wouldnít even take the price of a pint, let alone the actual cost of the lock and his time.

Thatís brilliant 😊

andybhoy
29-09-2020, 20:28
So who won the fight?

My mum. Sheís rock.

Niraj
01-10-2020, 09:00
I'm glad the General Forum is still open.......too many pleasant memories of the place, would have been heartbroken if it had gone.

Good luck Colin, and please keep up the good work, you bring a lot of joy to a lot of people.

MrSpeed
01-10-2020, 10:25
I don't visit anywhere near as often as I use to, but having read through this thread it is good to see that the General Forum has survived.

jockosjungle
01-10-2020, 10:50
I've always liked it, when I first joined I ignored the 8 pages of posts in there and just hit the bargains.

I've always found it to be a great place for advice, bit of light hearted banter and debate.

I'd guess on average, we're a more intelligent group with some decent life experience, it's great to know there is a sympathetic ear if you've got cancer or advice on renovating your home.

The place has offered great advice over the years, buying a bike, running, getting a mortgage, etc.

dunkle
31-10-2020, 11:21
I hope this is ok to ask and it’s done so with no intention of any flaming or creating argument, but in light of today’s news, could we look at having a covid thread back in general chat BUT one which is just for support and proper questions

In the early days I found some members in here invaluable, both in terms of mental support and how they would interpret the charts and figures and break them down so someone of my level could understand

Was good knowing I could ask a question and it would be answered simply

A thread that would see even the slightest mention of politics or government handling just have that post removed

We do seem to have more moderators now, just feel a “support” thread would be welcome.

cjanderson
31-10-2020, 11:50
Iíd be okay with that, I think there are a few open -working from hone etc.

Abd what are you missing most?

So use those or start a new one. Make it clear no politics/science!

dunkle
31-10-2020, 12:08
Thank you

driver8
31-10-2020, 13:08
No science ??!!11!!

cjanderson
31-10-2020, 13:32
No science ??!!11!!

well no saying the science is LYING, wrong/a conspiracy :D

driver8
31-10-2020, 14:02
:D

GregB
31-10-2020, 17:43
The same sort of stuff that got thar thread closed has already flooded the new one, making it pointless to post in.

Bravoman
03-11-2020, 16:36
The same sort of stuff that got thar thread closed has already flooded the new one, making it pointless to post in.

Real shame as it was a great idea.

Arthur Fowler
03-11-2020, 16:53
Real shame as it was a great idea.Yes it was. Thanks to the few who couldn't keep to the simple rules. [emoji52]

fivebyfive
03-11-2020, 16:56
What a surprise the same people got it locked again :oh-hum:

basegreen
03-11-2020, 17:36
Don't blame me I haven't posted anything political. I just tried to answer the support questions as best I could.

lentini
03-11-2020, 18:53
Why was it closed?

douglasb
03-11-2020, 20:14
If people won't stick to the rules, you ban those people - you don't close useful threads.

Shingster
03-11-2020, 21:09
Yup, to be fair the original corona thread was not closed for the reason of political squabbling, it was closed because members were posting misinformation and youtube consipracy think nonsense, so every time someone comes along with blatant misinformation like "oh this pandemic is no different to the flu spike 20yrs ago" or "we had over 40,000 excess deaths in one year several years back" then ban them. Just ban their ass for any period from two days to a full week.

cjanderson
03-11-2020, 21:32
The trouble is, how does a mod know which bits are blatant misinformation?
Someone who disagrees may report it but without research itís hard to say which bits are right or wrong. (It may be blindingly obvious to others but not me)

Arthur Fowler
03-11-2020, 21:49
Someone who disagrees may report it but without research itís hard to say which bits are right or wrong. (It may be blindingly obvious to others but not me)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI think in this case CJ, the intent of the thread at its creation was admirable and clear.

Posters that took the thread in a different direction whether their posts were factually accurate or not, information, misinformation or disinformation could have been dealt with.

I understand why the action was taken to close the thread but I wonder if a different course of action could have been taken.

Respectfully submitted and thanks for taking on the thankless task.

lentini
03-11-2020, 22:01
Yup, to be fair the original corona thread was not closed for the reason of political squabbling, it was closed because members were posting misinformation and youtube consipracy think nonsense, so every time someone comes along with blatant misinformation like "oh this pandemic is no different to the flu spike 20yrs ago" or "we had over 40,000 excess deaths in one year several years back" then ban them. Just ban their ass for any period from two days to a full week.

:lol: seriously? You want to ban someone just because they disagree with your narrow-minded views?

Shingster
03-11-2020, 23:41
And just what exactly ARE my views lentini? Please inform us all oh wise internet sage and amateur psychic, because I haven't expressed them.

Colin made it abundantly clear in the original corona thread: Comments twisting the reality of this pandemic are both incorrect and dangerous, and he doesn't want them on his site. Period. Yes there was a particularly bad Flu mortality spike around 20yrs ago that was similar to the first wave of this pandemic. Yes there were excess deaths one year that rival the deaths attributed to coronavirus so far, there is nothing wrong with stating these facts, but when you compare them to the current pandemic for the purpose of making it appear that what we are seeing is just a natural bad year, you are spreading misinformation.

This is not a natural "bad year", we have seen over 40,000 deaths -the vast majority of which took place over a two month period - despite a national lockdown and a prolonged period of social distancing by the majority of people. The infection rate and deaths have been rising again. The virus has not been left to run its course like flu did twenty years back, if it had from the start we'd be looking at considerably more than 40,000 deaths. Same thing with excess death figures: You're comparing stats from a year when people are going about their business with no lockdowns, no self-isolating, nothing out of the ordinary other than a higher than normal excess death rate, and even then you're comparing an entire year to the death rate of a pandemic that has only been around about nine months, and things are beginning to heat up again.

Once winter is over we can look back and determine the severity of our actions and how badly we "overracted" if we did at all. Nobody knows how this pandemic is going to play out on BOTH sides of the argument. You can mock people Lentini all you want, but that just reveals who you are as a person. You know jack **** about where this pandemic is heading and how bad or good things will be if a 2nd wave is left to run its course. Just like the rest of us.

Oh and for the record here's my actual opinion: I don't know what the best course of action is! Maybe we should let it run its course and the vulnerable should just suck it up and try their best to survive it so we can turn the corner quicker for the economy. Maybe a series of lockdowns is best so we can look at ourselves in the mirror a year or two years from now and tell ourselves that, hey times are ******* hard right now, but at least we didn't tell people to die for our economy. Maybe we'll never get a vaccine and will eventually have to throw in the towel. That's all we have right now: Maybes.

So I am going to let the government do what they feel is right and I am going to accept that and look after my well being and the well being of my immediate family. Just accept the virus is out of my control and there is no surefire way to deal with it. So far the best answer is basically copy what they're doing in southeast asia, but you're talking about countries with cultures that were much more predisposed to knuckling down and tackling a corona pandemic than those in the west. We will never be like Japan or South Korea, and certainly not China.

Oh and when a mod or a thread starter creates a thread and asks you politely over and over and over again to NOT share political opinions or spout "facts" from the internet when not invited to, you don't ******* do these things. It's not rocket science. Keep breaking the rules, get banned. That's usually how forums work.

But what do I know? I'm just narrow-minded I guess! :brickwall :brickwall

dunkle
04-11-2020, 07:37
The thread was created for two purposes. To support those who may be struggling with various issues at this time and (certainly in my case) to have questions answered in a simple manner. Something that I have benefited from and I have had welcome and understandable answers from a number of members here

There was no need for it to become like it did
Too much willy waving and blinkered opinions. Nobody able to accept that just because someone does not agree with them that they may not be wrong

Isn’t the saying something like “I may not agree with what you are saying but I’ll fight to the death for your right to say it”

Some members on here should take a real long look at self. Chances are if your sitting there thinking “I never said anything wrong” or “this guy isn’t talking about me” then I’d chance that it’s you I am talking about

Im not mentioning names but you become as bad as each other with your petty point scoring and your derailing of something that was set up to help and support and safeguard members. A friendly thread. Can’t you see the irony in that ?

I don’t think these members should be banned. I think they should just realise they should just leave. Just go. They contribute nothing but bad feeling

At a young age I was taught if you having nothing nice to say then don’t say anything

I will after work seek to try and create a thread purely for support. No questions. Just for people to share how feeling and chat about anxieties etc. And in that I will explain why I feel so passionately about the issue.

nutter45
04-11-2020, 08:40
Itís an admirable notion dunkle but if you have people posting that the pandemic is over, when itís clearly not, thatís not providing any support to anyone and my personal feeling is that that needs to be challenged, in a civil but robust manner

basegreen
04-11-2020, 08:58
In my view I think it’s okay to post that but you’re going to get called out.

I think the issue is that we aren’t all going to agree on stuff but I feel as long as it’s not personal attacks (I’ve done that twice for which I apologise) it’s kind of fair game.

It is an emotive subject.

Jez
04-11-2020, 08:59

You have a trusted source list, anything outside of that is removed.
i/e government websites, certain news outlets and papers?

Things like Twitter and Youtube are not included on there because any flat earther can put stuff on there and claim its legit.

nutter45
04-11-2020, 09:10
In my view I think itís okay to post that but youíre going to get called out.

I think the issue is that we arenít all going to agree on stuff but I feel as long as itís not personal attacks (Iíve done that twice for which I apologise) itís kind of fair game.

It is an emotive subject.

Ok, but the last post on the previous locked thread expressly said it could not be done

ďThe forums will not be used to spread misinformationĒ

basegreen
04-11-2020, 10:05
Which is why I said "in my view".

I mean clearly the pandemic isn't over, but equally we have people here quoting SAGEs demonstrably incorrect modelling (they have since admitted it's wrong) as FACT. Did anyone sit there worried about the pandemic, read Allen's assertion and go, oh good that's ok then? Unlikely!

So, really, its easy to say stick to facts but there's so much uncertainty about everything right now. Misinformation isn't good I agree.

Conspiracy theories -- well they are 99% BS and most people see it that way. I don't think it's wrong that someone has a theory that goes against the grain.It can be a discussion point. If someone is here posting that there's no such thing as COVID, then yes, that's wrong.

cjanderson
04-11-2020, 10:13
This is just carrying the conversation here.
As agreed facts are impossible to agree on

A thread of just support or whatís been closed near you is okay.

But no discussion of any facts of figures, it just doesnít work.

Jez
04-11-2020, 10:26
This is just carrying the conversation here.
As agreed facts are impossible to agree on

A thread of just support or whatís been closed near you is okay.

But no discussion of any facts of figures, it just doesnít work.

Even when only facts and figures are from pre-approved sources no arguments then?

cjanderson
04-11-2020, 11:31
Some people will start an argument in an Empty room :-)

DeadYankee
08-11-2020, 12:41
Some people will start an argument in an Empty room :-)

Each day brings us a step closer to finding out if that is true