PDA

View Full Version : Can DVD recorders record via scart?

Guest 2189
22-10-2005, 10:00
Looking at getting a cheapo dvd recorder, but I was wondering can they record via scart (ie can I record from my telewest box)?

I feel a bit stupid asking this but I was stunned when I discovered few (any?) HD recorders can do this so now I am not sure DVD-recorders can?

thescrounger
22-10-2005, 10:49
Erm, they all can.

stephen
22-10-2005, 19:14
They can as long as the signal isn't copy protected. There are three possible copy protection signals:

None - can be copied onto any DVD.

Copy once - can only be copied onto a DVD that prevents further copying, e.g. a DVD-RW in VR mode with CPRM.

Copy never - can never be copied to a DVD.

I tried feeding a DVD player into my DVD recorders scart input and it wouldn't record at all. but it's fine when recording from freeview. You will have to check if telewest boxes include copy control signals in their output.

Delh
23-10-2005, 07:34
Even if its cheap, u should try & get one that records a RGB signal via Scart for best picture quality.

Delh

Guest 2189
23-10-2005, 09:39
Thanks for the help! I thought they could but after looking at HD recorders I wasn't sure.

Delh, could you recommend a cheap recorder that can record via scart?

ixi
23-10-2005, 12:17
Which HD recorders can't record from Scart? I can't believe that anyone would make one that didn't.

Delh
23-10-2005, 15:51
Thanks for the help! I thought they could but after looking at HD recorders I wasn't sure.

Delh, could you recommend a cheap recorder that can record via scart?

Depends on your definition of cheapo dvd recorder ~ u can get a Panasonic DVD Recorder for circa 150 that covers all bases, depends if u want multi-region, what format u want to write to (+,-,RAM) etc.

If u want a sub-100 dvd recorder with RGB in, you'll have to check specs, & keep asking around

Delh

DM
23-10-2005, 15:57
Some sub 100 here http://www.thedvdforums.com/jump.php?url=http%3A//www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/dvdrecord.html

I'm still debating wether to go for the xvid/avi one.

stephen
23-10-2005, 18:35
Which HD recorders can't record from Scart? I can't believe that anyone would make one that didn't.

Most of the Freeview HD recorders can't record from scart in. They record the bitstream directly from the aerial, so they only need to have an MPEG decoder in them, If they were designed to record from scart input as well then they would need an MPEG encoder too which could push the price up.

Guest 2189
23-10-2005, 21:11
If the spec says the scart is 21 pin does that mean it can record RGB?

AdamBrunt
23-10-2005, 22:25
Most of the Freeview HD recorders can't record from scart in. They record the bitstream directly from the aerial, so they only need to have an MPEG decoder in them

But a Freeview HD recorder (or even Sky+ for that matter) is not the same as a DVD HD Recorder ??

Freview recorders only record the Freeview signal so they are designed to only record the aerial input. In theory, a DVD HD recorder can be set up to record from any sort of input.

stephen
24-10-2005, 12:06
But a Freeview HD recorder (or even Sky+ for that matter) is not the same as a DVD HD Recorder ??

Freview recorders only record the Freeview signal so they are designed to only record the aerial input. In theory, a DVD HD recorder can be set up to record from any sort of input.

ixi asked which HD recorders couldn't record from scart.

Delh
24-10-2005, 16:22
If the spec says the scart is 21 pin does that mean it can record RGB?

Afraid not, has to specifically say RGB, & it should be RGB in to record in RGB, RGB out to output in RGB

Delh

ixi
24-10-2005, 16:36
ixi asked which HD recorders couldn't record from scart.

Sorry I sort of meant DVD HD Recorders like the Panasonics. :)