PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 DVD installation error: 1334?

Guest 17192
16-11-2004, 12:23
Anyone else having a problem.

When installing it fails with the error -

Error 1334. The file 'hl2.ico1' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'hl24.cab'....

According to my copy of the DVD this file is in hl25.cab!!

Anyone any ideas?

Guest 12418
16-11-2004, 12:33
I just posted in the other thread, didn't see this one. I've downloaded mine on Steam, but my dad has just phoned me because he gets the same error...

The SteamPowered.Com forums are down at the moment, so can't check on there...I'll keep digging and see what I can find. It could, of course, be a bad disc?

Where did yours come from?

bumfrog
16-11-2004, 12:41
you could try copying the install files drom the dvd to the hard drive and running it from there....

Guest 17192
16-11-2004, 12:42
Got it from PCWorld.

I have found another mention of the same problem in another forum but he has not replied how he actually fixed it -

hl2.ico1 error (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51445)

ShakeyJake
16-11-2004, 12:43
If you have a fast connection maybe you could put in the cd key in the "Register a product I already own..." thing, then download the files off steam

Guest 12418
16-11-2004, 12:47
That thread has a bit more info in now - looks like you need to install CS:Source as well, otherwise it doesn't work...

Guest 17192
16-11-2004, 12:54
Just read that new info: I had also unticked the CS:Source installation.

Reinstalling now.......................

*fingers crossed*

EDIT: Sorted - waiting on Steam now.

Guest 12418
16-11-2004, 12:58
*fingers crossed*

Do let us know how it goes :) Good luck!

LeftHandedGuitarist
16-11-2004, 13:08
I had exact same problem, re-installed with Counter Strike selected and all worked well. Now I entered my CD key and got a pop up message saying:

"Your subscription to Half Life 2 Retail Standard has not been completed, because Steam servers are currently unable to process the transaction. You won't be able to play Half Life 2 Retail Standard until the subscription process is complete. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. The Steam team is working to rectify this situation, and will notify you as soon as the transaction is complete."

Am I supposed to just leave the window open and wait and see? This whole register online thing is stupid, I just bought the game and I want to install and play, shouldn't have to bother with this rubbish.

EDIT: Took about 15 minutes to authenticate, now unlocking files.

Guest 3376
16-11-2004, 13:18
Just got the same thing. Arghhhhhhhh

Guest 2473
16-11-2004, 13:19
I've just got the same message. No idea what we're supposed to do now... :(

Guest 2285
16-11-2004, 13:21
Sit and wait I guess and thank yourself lucky you're trying now unlike the rest of us poor sods that have to wait till we get home from work when there will be thousands of yanks trying too :(

Guest 599
16-11-2004, 13:36
Sit and wait I guess and thank yourself lucky you're trying now unlike the rest of us poor sods that have to wait till we get home from work when there will be thousands of yanks trying too :(

Oh poo :cry: I hadn't thought of that... :mad:

LeftHandedGuitarist
16-11-2004, 13:39
Uh-oh. I made the silly mistake of choosing to install the Source SDK pack, a 35mb download! Currently downloading at a rate of about 1mb every 5-10 minutes... oops.

DB2k
16-11-2004, 13:54
you have to install CSS jsut to play HL2? bah what a crock..

LeftHandedGuitarist
16-11-2004, 14:00
Yeah, very annoying. Anyway, I cancelled and then re-started the process by double-clicking on the Half Life 2 icon on my desktop. It went much faster than before and finished unlocking, it now says "Updating Half Life 2, ready to play in 2 mins... 2 mins 30... 3 mins... 4 mins... 5 mins 30..." oh dear.

Worst.
Installation process.
Ever.

mikegray
16-11-2004, 14:38
Really? My installation this morning went like "Run steam". "Play." Took about fifteen minutes.

Guest 38416
16-11-2004, 16:19
i had the same problem, i was trying to install everything to my salve drive, in the end i let it install to the defsuly location and it worked, however i did copy the dvd to my hdd in an iso, and mounted it using daemon toolz.

takes a bloody long time to unlock

Taq
16-11-2004, 17:34
God what a total PoS installation.
Got to the last bar on 'unlocking Steam files' then I got a server busy error and it started again from the beginning again. Have Valve never heard of 'resume'?

Thank God I get broadband next week.

Taq

Guest 2799
16-11-2004, 18:27
Awful installation and I suspect this may be one of those that has problems with certain makes of DVD drive. Took me an hour and a half to install with various busy messages etc and then when I tried to run said that it couldn't read the DVD it had just installed from. After getting down from the ceiling I reinstalled on a different PC and runs fine on that (apart from the fact I have to be online as their servers are permanently too busy to download the files to allow offline play). The agreements are a bit cheeky too, although (as usual) didn't bother to read all the way through so god knows what else I have agreed to.

Guest 22496
16-11-2004, 19:09
i,m at the vugames reg screen,it asks which game have you bought,cant see half life 2 in the list,which one do i choose???

RonnyJ
16-11-2004, 19:12
So it errors if you don't install CS:S ?

Makes me wonder exactly how much testing was done...

Guest 29553
16-11-2004, 19:27
I can't even create an account, this is driving me nuts. Anyone else having problems?

odin
16-11-2004, 19:32
This is doing my head in now, i also cannot even create an account, go through all the username/password screens and then after the 'security question' after a few mins it comes up with 'connection reset by peers' :brickwall

This maybe have anyhting to do with are friends over the water? :thinking:

sharp_circle
16-11-2004, 19:37
Anyone know if you can install this on 2 computers in the same house with one game?

Guest 19004
16-11-2004, 19:49
Been trying to get this running since 6 oclock.
Ive gone as far as cd key registration but then it just sits there until i get the message ' your steam ticket has expired, Please re-enter your password to continue'. :mad:
Then after doing so tells me that either my account does not exist or my password is wrong :?:
Its driving me :cuckoo:

Guest 2898
16-11-2004, 19:53
I cant load the game keep getting this message flashing up

Miles Error
The mss dll is incorrectly installed iin the windows system directory

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :razz:

Guest 22496
16-11-2004, 20:25
this is crap,all i want to do is play the game!!

wakeupjake
16-11-2004, 20:44
well here is what i have had to sit and look at for the past 5 hours, any ideas...

http://www.myimgs.com/data/Leela/hl2error.jpg

well done valve, not only to you postpone and postpone but you cant even get the bloody game to run without blood sweat and tears. i just want to play the game.

Guest 41904
16-11-2004, 21:21
Wakeupjake - that's the exact same message i'm getting too :cry:
This is a real joke now, all I want to do is playing the bloody game.

Guest 22496
16-11-2004, 21:27
me too guys,that same message,i'm tired now too.

Guest 29553
16-11-2004, 21:31
Been trying to get this running since 6 oclock.
Ive gone as far as cd key registration but then it just sits there until i get the message ' your steam ticket has expired, Please re-enter your password to continue'. :mad:
Then after doing so tells me that either my account does not exist or my password is wrong :?:
Its driving me :cuckoo:

getting this now........feel really let down by it all.

Guest 22496
16-11-2004, 21:40
i had a strange one now,i got the create account failed then cklicked ok but instead of only letting me back it went next and said thats it all done?????when i double click on the half life 2 icon it brings up the steam account log in,i type my password and username and after a while it says that i need to check my internet connection or their side could be down!!!!!!
this is real bad

Guest 20231
16-11-2004, 21:45
I.m getting this message too, logged onto steampowered.com and it says the site is up.Now at a loss and really fed-up.

ColinP
16-11-2004, 21:54
It's shockingly bad that the installation of something that has been purchased is held up like this. Why couldn't they have done something like Windows activation which would require 'registration' within a fixed time period?

RonnyJ
16-11-2004, 21:55
I also see that Valve have taken their forums down on steampowered.com... would it be a bit too cynical of me to suggest it's just to stop lots of complaints?

sharp_circle
16-11-2004, 21:56
It's shockingly bad that the installation of something that has been purchased is held up like this. Why couldn't they have done something like Windows activation which would require 'registration' within a fixed time period?

Tell me about it - I was 83% through unlocking the game and then got - 'sorry server unavailable' - have been trying for ages now and still nothing. What a crap way to run things :(

Guest 16047
16-11-2004, 21:58
I just keep getting a 'Failed to find Master AuthenticationServer' error message when trying to register a new account. I've been trying since I got home from work at 7pm with various error messages.

I'm going to try again in the morning and if it doesn't work I'm going to burn a copy of the DVD and take it back to the shop.

It's incredible that I can't play a legitimately purchased game!

sharp_circle
16-11-2004, 22:18
I'm finally in - unfortunately i'm getting real bad audio stutter now - it looks awesome but no matter what i do to the settings the stutter is the same. - very annoying.

Guest 9392
16-11-2004, 23:00
I'm getting the same "reset connection" error as wakeupjake, odin and Hitman2411.

Looks like Valve underestimated the demand for their game and didn't get the infastructure in place to cope.

Guest 2443
16-11-2004, 23:22
I'm also getting that "connection reset by peers" message. Been sat at my computer for an hour and a half now trying to play the game. Had to wait while Steam updated itself (I only have a 56k modem as well - took ages!), and now I can't create an account :(

I think I might cry... :cry:

CraigKORE
16-11-2004, 23:23
I'm finally in - unfortunately i'm getting real bad audio stutter now - it looks awesome but no matter what i do to the settings the stutter is the same. - very annoying.

You're far from alone with that problem (myself included). If you have a look on the other HL2 thread on here you will see quite a few more. Before the Valve forums went down there were loads of folks complaining about it. Have been looking about all night and tried a million different things (including another sound card) but still the same. Looks like we might have to wait on a patch to sort it out. I'm going to stop playing it for now though as I dont want the experience ruined.

Guest 3025
17-11-2004, 00:51
Hi i didnt have too many problems installing it today luckily for me. I was installing steam and it also updated. The only thing i couldnt do was get the page to load on the website where you would register your copy of the game probably for technical support etc. It wasnt the quickest install though. I did download catalyst drivers for my ati radeon 9800pro though as i discovered there was newer ones out.

I was experiencing a little audio stutter too. I cant remember if the game was also stuttering at the same time. The last time i checked i had the latest drivers for my creative Audigy Ls.

I had recently upgraded for this game I got a prescott P4 3ghz and a abit a17 motherboard. My ddr crucial ram is 512mb pc2100. My brother tried all sorts of things while i went to work. I have had about 338 free ram left out of my memory. I know my ddr is the slowest speed and we are wondering if that is my bottleneck. He is going to get a faster stick of ram from work to try to see if that works or not before i go buy it. The stutter was even there when we turned down some settings. Havent played it again yet but i rather play it when it runs smooth and i can turn all the settings up. I dont know if its relevant but i can play Jedi Academy with all its settings to highest.
Peter.

Guest 2443
17-11-2004, 05:37
Eventually gave up at 2am this morning after getting various error messages ("cannot connect to Steam - please check your internet connection" and "Server busy. Cannot register your copy at this time"). Just woken up now though to try before work and things seem to be working. Am just printing a purchase receipt. Hopefully this is it :)

Guest 22496
17-11-2004, 09:29
its at 2 am that mine finally came to life,i got logged then confronted with the hasle life 2 will start in 45 mins countdown,finally at about 2.30am i saw the title screen,didnt play it though,too tired....one thing i did notice,it stated that my gfx card drivers were out of date,i bought my 6800gt a few weeks back,there were new drivers released 9th november,could these help with peoples sound stutter?

Zaichik
17-11-2004, 10:21
Is it true that, if you buy the retail version, you can upgrade to the Silver package via Steam for only $10 (the difference in cost between the Bronze and Silver packages) simply by going through the process of purchasing the silver package? (i.e. that the cost of the Bronze package is deducted when you try to buy the silver package when HL2 is already installed)

Guest 18
17-11-2004, 12:17
Is it true that, if you buy the retail version, you can upgrade to the Silver package via Steam for only $10 (the difference in cost between the Bronze and Silver packages) simply by going through the process of purchasing the silver package? (i.e. that the cost of the Bronze package is deducted when you try to buy the silver package when HL2 is already installed)

I don't think so - only users holding ATI HL2 vouchers can do that.

Guest 3078
17-11-2004, 13:03
Just got my copy of HL2 through the post and am getting the Error 1334 thing but on a different file - halflife_2_base_content.gcf which it thinks is meant to be in hl2.cab but is actually in hl22.cab! What a POS!

Have copied the entire DVD to hard drive and am now going to see if copying the file (all 832Mb of it!) into hl2.cab will work.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Guest 993
17-11-2004, 13:09
So despite the monumental cock-up that is Steam making the original Half-Life and CS unplayable for many, they still haven't fixed the problems for HL2?
:oh-hum:

Does this mean even with the DVD you can't run it without connecting through Steam?

It's been said before and it's worth saying again...

Steaming pile of...

:razz:

Guest 10592
17-11-2004, 13:18
So if I went out to the shops and bought it, would Steam let me play it? If I downloaded it from Steam on my 2MB line, would it take decades to get here?

I see my initial decision not to buy it until other people got hold of it might have been very wise. What a crock! I suppose the future of anti-piracy is to stop everyone playing the game!!

EDIT: bought it from Woolies and everything seemed to work fine - decrypting the files was a bit of a ball-ache though...

grounded_dreams
17-11-2004, 20:09
Game loads onto the main screen fine. When I chose New Game, it will load unto the a HL2 logo

then I hear a *bing*, and the game just disappears and Im on my Desktop.
Uninstalled drivers, tried the 4.11, same thing. Nothing else running on PC.
A few times I got the G-Man says "wake up Mr Freeman", then his face goes
all grey, and the same thing. Another time I got the train section and before I could do anything it happened again.
Now downloading the 4.12 drivers to see if that helps.

Spec:

Win XP Pro
P4 2.8G
ATi 9800XT & 9100
512 RAM
Tried with and without the onboard sound.

Also got the below errors:

http://www.nirvana28.demon.co.uk/hlbug.jpg http://www.nirvana28.demon.co.uk/hlbug2.jpg

Guest 17963
18-11-2004, 11:03
Grounded :

http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=534770&highlight=PreCondition+Assertion+Failed#post534770

Tried that yet ?

grounded_dreams
18-11-2004, 11:18
I only got the error once, but this could help - cheers :thumbs:

Also saw this:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51721