Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 28-11-2012, 19:59   #1
tizza
cranial deficient

Tenvis IP cam wont connect to virgin superhub

I need a bit of help here from some clever people.

Ive just bought a tenvis wireless ip camera.

I can see it when the network cable is plugged in but when it instructs me to unplug the camera it isnt connected wirelessly. Im sure its something I havent done, Im a dunce when it comes to port forwarding and stuff. Ive tried to look online and have followed a few guides but nothing.

Basically I dont know what port forwarding means and cant even grasp how this thing could be secure when its set up for 3g, as default passwords are simple and the same for each camera (I think) .

Anyone got them camera, is there any big thing Im missing out. Give it to me in laymans terms please!

Last edited by tizza; 28-11-2012 at 20:30.
tizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 21:02   #2
RBZ5416
Trusted User

I set one up a while ago just to play with but it's sitting in a cupboard now. The only thing I remember struggling with was the MAC address of the WiFi, as it wasn't documented anywhere. Only the ethernet MAC address was printed on the camera. I ended up having to work it out from the router's assigned IP addresses. Can't remember where that was required though so not sure it helps!

Have you had a look at their web site for the latest software/firmware/instructions? I seem to recall the instructions being a bit lean.
Old 28-11-2012, 21:43   #3
tizza
cranial deficient

Ive sorted it cheers.

Er..no I havent. It doesnt work over 3g
.balls.

Last edited by tizza; 29-11-2012 at 07:10.
Old 29-11-2012, 11:15   #4
DJBenson
Android Defector

Location: Burnley - Eagerly awaiting Bolton and Blackburn's demotion...
Port forwarding lets you "forward" traffic from the outside world, via your router, to the destination. Lets say for example your camera's web interface runs on port 8080 (as mine do) - to get to that camera from the outside world, you need to forward a port to the IP address of the camera.

Log in to your Virgin router and there should be a page for port forwarding, all you need to do is choose the port (use the one configured in the IP camera interface) and enter the IP address of the camera. You should then be able to access the camera from the internet.

Make sure you change the default password to something more secure.

If you have multiple camera's - you'll need to change the port on the IP camera - so something like;

Camera 1 - port 8080
Camera 2 - port 8081

You would then forward port 8080 to the IP address for camera 1 and the same for camera 2.
DJBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 12:32   #5
wicky
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza View Post
I can see it when the network cable is plugged in but when it instructs me to unplug the camera it isnt connected wirelessly.
I have a DB power one which will be similar to the tenvis, it came with some software.

When I plugged it in using the network cable, I loaded the software and in the software I had to enter my wifi network name and password. It then wrote this back to the camera so that it could operate wireless-ly.

Have you done that step, as I think it's necessary so that your camera knows which wifi connection to use.

(PS I also had to do the port forwarding so that I could view it externally)

Love my IP cam, although all I do is watch my cats sleep when I am at work
Old 29-11-2012, 14:42   #6
RBZ5416
Trusted User

Just ran my 3815 up & the default port that needs forwarding is 81. You can check yours by going to Device Management > Basic Network Settings when connected via you LAN. Or look at the figure after the colon in your browser address bar when you connect to it. You could try enabling UPnP first in UPnP Settings to see if it happens automatically.

The reason I needed the WiFi MAC was to assign a reserved IP address for the camera on the router. Otherwise it's likely to change.

Do Virgin provide static or dynamic IP addresses? If dynamic then you'll also need to configure a DDNS service. Apparently the new cameras come with account details on a sticker to set one up via Tenvis?

They also have their own forum.

Last edited by RBZ5416; 29-11-2012 at 14:44.
RBZ5416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:01   #7
tizza
cranial deficient

Comes in from work and switches everthing on and now the camera isnt even connected to the network anymore. So Ive set everything up and the ip of the cam changes this time. So myunderstanding is I should disbale dhcp, which would give a static IP???
I did this.

Now the xbox's wont connect to the network, but the camera does, altho I havent tried 3g yet. That tenvis forum is confusing with the same admin just repeating the same blurb over and over.

Anyone want fancy a challenge and to give me it in laymans terms how I should go about connecting everything up.
Old 29-11-2012, 19:03   #8
RBZ5416
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza View Post
So my understanding is I should disable dhcp, which would give a static IP???
Where did you disable DHCP? I'm guessing on the router? You ned to re=enable it unless you want to manually assign IP addresses to all of your equipment (you don't!).

Somewhere in the router's interface should be the ability to reserve an IP address against a hardware MAC address. This means that the IP address you choose can't be assigned to anything else & will always be assigned to the camera.

So the first thing you need it the camera's WiFi MAC address. Hopefully that's documented somewhere now because this was the issue I had. If it's not documented you will have to look in the router for something along the lines of "connected devices". This should show the IP address the camera currently has together with it's MAC address.
Old 29-11-2012, 21:57   #9
tizza
cranial deficient

The ip on the cam is 192.168.1.239:82

Im assuming the 82 is the port used?

I cant add this in the router, the unchangable part reads 192.168.0 so no way to change the 0 to 1.

but when I run it thru the software to set it up the ip is 192.168.0.240

Im going thru it all again, have the MAC addres added in the router dhcp reservation section.

Should I be enabling remote access??

Last edited by tizza; 29-11-2012 at 22:05.
Old 30-11-2012, 14:04   #10
tizza
cranial deficient

Well finally got it working after phoning virgin and they said they dont allow port forwarding on the superhub. Offered to give me the number of tech support that would charge me to do it.

After a bit more research I hadnt enabled port triggering in the settings.

Im quite chuffed now, for a computer illiterate its amazing what you can find out on google.