Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 14-11-2012, 13:44   #1
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

X-Files series being prepped for Blu-ray release in 2013...

As per the Bits' report: http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/th...to-blu-in-2013

Quote:
A number of our industry sources are now telling us that Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is planning (and in fact may already be gearing up to) release their classic TV series The X-Files on Blu-ray. As fans will already be aware, the first four seasons of the show were produced in 4x3 format, like many TV programs of its era. The series then went to a 16x9 widescreen format for the remainder of its run, as anamorphic widescreen displays were starting to become common. The entire show was still broadcast in standard definition – not actual high-definition – and the visual effects and post-production were finished in SD. (Note that the first actual HD broadcast on Fox was for the 2004 NFL season, while X-Files ended its run in 2002.) Our sources say Fox has likely decided to “rebuild” the seasons in high-definition, in much the same way that CBS has done with Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Provided all the original camera negative has been properly stored and archived, it’ll presumably be an easier task as the show featured fewer and less elaborate visual effects.

This wouldn’t be the first time Fox has upgraded a show to Blu-ray: They did something roughly similar with Firefly on Blu-ray back in 2008, although to be fair all of the show’s visual effects were upconverted to HD rather than re-rendered in actual high-definition to save costs.

If all goes well, we’re told the first seasons of The X-Files could appear on BD sometime in late 2013. We’ll post additional updates as they come in. Stay tuned…
Looks like it'll be given a full rebuild a la TNG. The Bits were bang on about TNG's HD revival, so I'd take this news as a given, unless the bean counters at Fox decide otherwise.

Another titbit is that the series was apparently protected for 16:9 from the outset (switching to proper widescreen production about halfway through, as we know), so Fox may well go for 16:9 throughout.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 14:52   #2
MKIKE
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguygeoff View Post
Another titbit is that the series was apparently protected for 16:9 from the outset (switching to proper widescreen production about halfway through, as we know), so Fox may well go for 16:9 throughout.
This would be good, might tip me in favour. I saw an early episode of Friends on Comedy Central and it looked amazing in HD/widescreen, and I'm guessing it was originally broadcast in 4:3?
MKIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 14:55   #3
LouBarlow
Game Changer

When they showed recaps to earlier seasons later on in the shows life, they were always shown in widescreen weren't they?

I'd only be interested in a complete collection at this stage. I own them all on DVD but haven't watched them in years, so it would be great to have a marathon session.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 16:04   #4
BlueDwarf
I MUST HEAR FIREWORKS

Great news, but makes me regret buying the complete set on DVD a couple of years ago, as I've not got round to watching them yet...
BlueDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 16:24   #5
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDwarf View Post
Great news, but makes me regret buying the complete set on DVD a couple of years ago, as I've not got round to watching them yet...
Same here. Time to sell it on me thinks
Old 14-11-2012, 19:32   #6
Robin Davies
Trusted User

I'd hang on to them if I were you, until we see what this "rebuild" actually entails. I'm very dubious about this tampering with the past. It's OK if they include the original versions (like they did with the Star Trek Original Series blu-ray) but if the only option includes tarted-up special effects I'm not interested.
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 19:52   #7
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies View Post
I'd hang on to them if I were you, until we see what this "rebuild" actually entails. I'm very dubious about this tampering with the past. It's OK if they include the original versions (like they did with the Star Trek Original Series blu-ray) but if the only option includes tarted-up special effects I'm not interested.
Sounds a bit extreme. X-Files isn't like Star trek where there loads of FX in each episode.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 20:04   #8
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

My wallet just had a heart attack...
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 20:05   #9
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies View Post
The effects shots for X-Files don't exist in HD so they'll need to be recreated for Blu-ray. As with the redone effects in TNG, as long as the intention is to reproduce the original and not to replace it with something different then that'll be fine by me.
Old 14-11-2012, 20:57   #10
LouBarlow
Game Changer

How much better will this look in HD though?
Old 15-11-2012, 09:45   #11
Niceguygeoff

Are you kidding? TNG smashed it in HD. X-Files has a different aesthetic to be sure, all dark rooms and flashlights and whatnot, but IMO there'll still be a noticeable uptick in quality.

I'd imagine that if this did well then Fox would look at redoing Buffy too. Even though it was shot on Super 16 for the first 2 seasons it'd look soooo much better than the nasty noise-ridden DVDs. SyFy DNR the hell out of their Buffy S1/S2 broadcasts for that reason.
Old 15-11-2012, 11:08   #12
Kevin
Trusted User

They are my #1 and #2 Blu Ray wants. X-Files and Buffy...I'd be so happy if even one of them gets the full Blu Ray treatment (I do appreciate that the X-Files "news" is just at the rumour stage at the moment), but if Fox decided that both would get a BD release, then it would be absolutely amazing!!

Add that to the fact that UFO TV series is being released (in Japan only unfortunately!) in a few weeks time, and I'd be one happy bunny!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:38   #13
LouBarlow
Game Changer

Quote:
Are you kidding? TNG smashed it in HD. X-Files has a different aesthetic to be sure, all dark rooms and flashlights and whatnot, but IMO there'll still be a noticeable uptick in quality.

I'd imagine that if this did well then Fox would look at redoing Buffy too. Even though it was shot on Super 16 for the first 2 seasons it'd look soooo much better than the nasty noise-ridden DVDs. SyFy DNR the hell out of their Buffy S1/S2 broadcasts for that reason.
No I'm not kidding. Some of us don't watch Star Trek! I didn't think Firefly was a massive improvement over the DVDs though.
Old 15-11-2012, 11:42   #14
RoboCop4
Senior Mumbler

Quote:
That would be good. As long as they don't create a fake widescreen image by just cutting the top and bottom off the frame, like the 'V: The Final Battle' and recent 'World at War' re-release DVDs
RoboCop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 15:16   #15
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
No I'm not kidding. Some of us don't watch Star Trek! I didn't think Firefly was a massive improvement over the DVDs though.
IIRC the F/X shots in Firefly were just upscaled, so they didn't look great, for Star Trek (TOS) they went back and redid the whole effect and sympathetically modernised a lot of the shots. For TNG they cleaned them up and they're like night and day.

The end result is outstanding for both series IMO. Especially as the DVD's are very similar to the "Friends" releases with colour bleed and an overly saturated look.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 15:40   #16
LouBarlow
Game Changer

I meant the live action stuff in Firefly. I know the CGI was upscaled. It is better but not a massive improvement. If its a similar story for xfiles I don't think I could justify replacing all the box sets. I'd probably have my nuts removed by the other half actually.
Old 15-11-2012, 17:02   #17
Boink!
One life left

I still have my laserdisc and VHS copies of Tooms and Squeeze somewhere (unopened, obviously).
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 17:06   #18
Richie
Trusted User

Obviously!

I hope this release happens. Would they risk a "complete" series off the bat or release season by season? I would personally hope for a complete series set first (for the die-hard fans, of which there are many), then individual seasons afterwards at intervals.
Remastering in HD also makes business sense as Fox can then sell it into syndication around the world for many more years to come.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 17:18   #19
Niceguygeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Obviously!

I hope this release happens. Would they risk a "complete" series off the bat or release season by season? I would personally hope for a complete series set first (for the die-hard fans, of which there are many), then individual seasons afterwards at intervals.
Remastering in HD also makes business sense as Fox can then sell it into syndication around the world for many more years to come.
I've a feeling that Fox will look to how CBS is handling TNG, i.e. they'll commit to remastering the lot, but it'll have to be done on a season-by-season basis because of the sheer amount of work involved.
Old 15-11-2012, 19:23   #20
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop4 View Post
That would be good. As long as they don't create a fake widescreen image by just cutting the top and bottom off the frame, like the 'V: The Final Battle' and recent 'World at War' re-release DVDs
If it was shot protected for 16:9 then that's exactly how it's intended to be matted - it's not "fake widescreen" any more than hard-matted film is.