Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 14:52   #1
oldskool
Trusted User

recommend me some modern anime

Back in the day, I used to be a huge anime fan and remember staying up on a saturday night to watch them as they were shown on Sci-Fi

Fast forward 15 years and I'm still a fan, however beyond the obligatory Miyazaki/Ghibli stuff and the old classics (akira, ninja scroll, Ghost In The Shell, urotsukidoji, sailor moon, cowboy bebop, Demon City Shinjuku etc) I've not watched any new ones in quite a while as lost interest for about 10 years (aka, ended up with a woman who thought it was "weird".)

So can anybody recommend any good modern anime....Films preferred but OVAs also worthwhile....Also if they're on Netflix (any netflix), even better.

Tried randomly watching some on Netflix but so far, most I've turned off after about 20 minutes as they just didn't catch my imagination

thanks all

Last edited by oldskool; 05-09-2012 at 08:43.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 15:34   #2
Barnacle
XBL: Bottletop Bill

Death Note
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 15:45   #3
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Oh, and Summer Wars.

Last edited by Ste7en; 04-09-2012 at 15:47.
Ste7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:18   #4
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

^

Good shout on both of those! NGE is being re-done as movies and they're much better then the TV Series, also i loved the last Haruhi Suzumiya movie, very well done
Old 04-09-2012, 22:38   #5
Shingster
Trusted User

I'm seriously out of the loop when it comes to the most recent anime titles, so hopefully you've not already caught most of the following titles I suggest.

First up I want to echo the suggestions so far, and funnily enough I've reviewed all of them for TDF in case you want a more in depth read on them: Death Note, Evangelion 1.1, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time/Summer Wars

Other shows worth getting that I an think of off the top of my head (I've included links to TDF reviews where applicable, but many of these are old reviews of mine so they're poorly written, so you may want to just skim them):

Darker Than Black
Eden of the East
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Note this is the more recent series not the original Fullmetal Alchemist series).
Hellsing Ultimate (Again this is the more recent OVA series and not the original Hellsing anime TV series)
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo
Shigurui
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (think it's known as just Gurren Lagann in the states)

For film recommendations I would suggest anything from Satoshi Kon in the years you've been away from anime - Millennium Actress especially. Sword of the Stranger is a recentish samurai film worth checking out. Also Berserk is being re-made as a series of film trilogies in Japan, with the first trilogy having been released across this year in Japanese theatres. The first of those: Berserk: Golden Age I - Egg of the Supreme King is out on Blu-ray in Japan already and should hit US then UK shores by the end of the year. If you've never seen the original series then the films are well worth checking out (based on the quality of the first film). But then, if you've never seen the original series I would also add that your list!
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 00:27   #6
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

I'd pretty much agree with most of the recommendations listed above

The Girl who leapt through time, and summer wars are both good films (and you may be lucky and find the double blu-ray pack cheap!)

Redline is a very enjoyable racing anime, for some reason it rung bells with me in regards to some of the classic 80's stuff, possibly due to the style, and soundtrack.
I bought it pretty much blind (the Manga UK blu ray/dvd combo pack), and loved it
Even my younger brother who isn't much of an anime fan enjoyed it, and keeps finding one of the tracks from it's OST whenever I have my mp3 player in the car

Satoshi Kon's works are very much worth watching, Paprika etc, and it's a real shame that he died so young as he was so talented, and from what I've read a really nice guy.

Eden of the East is great fun, with the shortish TV series, wrapped up in two films.

A slightly "out there" suggestion, and certainly not one for all tastes, but I loved the Aria series. It's basically a very tranquil slice of life series about trainee gonderlero's (Undines) on a terraformed Mars. It's about the most relaxing anime I've ever seen, and great to unwind whilst watching (and also a good one to show that anime doesn't have to be about scantily clad girls, and violence).
Unfortunately it's not available in the UK AFAIK, and is only available on R1 DVD (sub only if that matters).
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 00:44   #7
megatron
Trusted User

I haven't watched Anime in ages too. Last really good things i saw were

Voices of a Distant Star
Cat ***** One
Hellsing Ultimate
The first 100 eps of Naruto (subbed).

Got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars lined up...

Can't seem to get in the mood for animation these days though for some reason.

Last edited by megatron; 05-09-2012 at 00:48.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06   #8
Shingster
Trusted User

My crappy memory is starting to recollect more anime:

You never said which of those old anime titles you enjoyed oldskool, but if you were a fan of Ninja Scroll then I would also recommend Basilisk. On a completely unrelated note, Black Lagoon is well worth checking out & is available on Blu-ray (expensive though, so you may want to rent). Freedom is also available on Blu-ray and is quite good. Another Sci-fi every raves about is Planetes. I don't know if you got to see Jin Roh back in the day, but if you didn't then it's an absolute must watch. Did you ever get to see Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal back in the day? A superb two-part OVA.

Last edited by Shingster; 05-09-2012 at 04:08.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03   #9
Just Passing Through
Trusted User

You don't say what your preferences are, but judging by the list of films you provided, I guess you're looking for old school, sex and violence. A lot of anime made nowadays caters for the cutesy moe trope, so you may want to shift your expectations accordingly...

That said, while the era of Ninja Scroll and Urotsukidoji was intense, there's something to be said for the quality of storytelling now, especially in longer series.

But if you do want old school...

Try Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack, out this week. It's a b-movie horror which is absolutely nutty. Fish grow legs, come out of the ocean and attack mankind. It's got the first threesome I've seen in mainstrea anime. It's directed by Satoshi Kon's protege, and the quality of the animation is excellent.

Mardock Scramble: The First Compression. More sex and violence in a somewhat more cerebral story, the first in three movies, also available on Blu. It's cyberpunk in a classic vein, with a murder victim rebuilt to testify against her killer.

If you've got time for sci-fi slice of life comedy, which appeals to the cute and moe tropes, but has a hell of a fine story. Look up The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Season 1 is hard to find since Beez went bust, and as Bandai's shutting down , you'll have to hurry to import it from the US. Season 2 isn't as good, but is available in the UK, and it all ends in the epic Disappearance movie. Actually import from Australia, and you can get Season 1 easily, and Disappearance on Region B Blu.

Redline's been mentioned, but worth mentioning again, wacky races on acid.

You have to get the Evangelion Rebuild movies, although they are coming out achingly slow. The first two are out here on Blu, The third film gets a theatrical release this winter.

Satoshi Kon movies are always worth having, and you'll want Millennium Actress, Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue, as well as the Paranoia Agent TV series. No arguments, just get them... Oh, and the Memories anthology.

If you like Mamoru Oshii (GITS) try Sky Crawlers, although I find a little slow. But Kenji Kamiyama's take on Ghost in the Shell is worth it too. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is easily available,is epic at 52 episodes plus the Solid State Society movie (also on Blu). There are a couple of anthology movies if you haven't the time for the series, Laughing Man and Individual Eleven, but the series is so worth it you won't regret a single frame.

Katsuhiro Otomo's Roujin Z is an oldie that's been recently released here on Blu. That's great. And Akira's out on Blu which is almost definitive...

Look up Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade for another psychological horror.
Just Passing Through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 13:28   #10
oldskool
Trusted User

Thanks for the suggestions all.....

As for the sort of stuff I like, it's completely varied, I realised on looking now that the anime I've mentioned is fairly in the sex, violence, monster category, but these are more just the ones I remember watching (probably because they were quite graphic) more interested in good imaginative stories than sex and violence but not a huge fan of the cutesy high school crap (although have an unnatural love of sailor moon).

Last edited by oldskool; 05-09-2012 at 13:30.
Old 05-09-2012, 13:37   #11
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

I love the tags for this thread

A couple of clips of redline can be seen here and here
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:21   #12
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

How about Last Exile? I have a very nice DVD set of it, this one:

Last Exile

Good series as well
Old 06-09-2012, 11:28   #13
oldskool
Trusted User

Right, last night consisted of (all on netflix as I try to avoid buying disks these days)

Redline - Awesome are really reminded me of oldskool stuff...I started watching it previously but had switched it off after the first 2 or 3 minutes....big difference this time
First 2 episodes of Darker Than Black - Liked it, but gonna take it a bit slower
4 episodes of Oh My Goddess - Didn't watch it back in the day

Also noticed a lot of others in this thread available so all been added to my instant queue for watching
Old 14-09-2012, 08:28   #14
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
How about Last Exile? I have a very nice DVD set of it, this one:

Last Exile

Good series as well

As with Eurka 7 they're both critically acclaimed animes but for the life of me couldn't get on with them, i actually finished Last Exile but i thought it was deeply average. Eurka 7 i stopped after 5-6 episodes as it seemed like total garbage and i seriously wanted to hurt the main character as he was such a winey little turd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
4 episodes of Oh My Goddess - Didn't watch it back in the day
Oh My Goddess is very old school harem show and it's actually quite good, but watch the latest 2 series first before watching the movie despite the movie actually being made a few years before the series. As the movie is set afterwards and it makes way more sense, in fact it gels so well that i had a hard time believing the movie was made before! Oh and Urd...drool (yeah i went there)

Last edited by Roberto; 14-09-2012 at 08:34.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 14:26   #15
ljp
learned 2 ape the motions

As a great fan of Lupin the Third I would recommend "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine".
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote