Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 20-08-2012, 21:49   #1
Richie
Trusted User

[FIXED!] "no internet access" despite excellent wifi signal. Help me please!

This problem has been making me tear my hair out all day!
I'll try to be succinct!

There are 3 computers in our house on a wireless network.
1 mac, 1 windows XP, 1 windows 7.

The network is fine, the router firmware is up to date, the internet works fine on all but the windows 7 laptop.
I have tried everything!
The wireless connection is strong, one pc just can't get internet access!

Using online guides and googling etc I have:
- reset the TCP/IP using this.
- made sure the router firmware is up to date and reset it.
- Updated the Intel® PROSet/Wireless software and drivers for the affected laptop.
- Disabled McAfee network agent and McAfee firewall core service on affected laptop.
- Ensured DHCP is enabled for Wireless LAN adapters (there are 3 wireless network connections on the affected laptop, dunno why there are 3? 2 are unconnected).
- Added Default Gateway info to Wireless Connection settings.

Oh and I've also done the "turn everything off and on again" thing.

And STILL the laptop has "no internet access" despite the wifi connection being "very good". I simply don't understand how the hell to make this work?!

There was a "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" warning on my PC yesterday (which is not the affected laptop). We've had those a few times before and usually they don't cause a problem. Googling indicates it's when one or more computers isn't using DHCP, well I've checked all of them and they all are.

Thanks if anyone knows anything!

Last edited by Richie; 21-08-2012 at 00:27.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 22:48   #2
sharp_circle
Fantasist

Does it connect at all (IE do you get an exclamation mark saying local only) or does it juyst sit there? can it see the wireless connection?
Old 21-08-2012, 00:10   #3
Richie
Trusted User

Yes, it can see the connection which is at "very good". Here's a grab of the network info window:

and also a close up of The Notification Area / System Tray showing the connection status:

Last edited by Richie; 21-08-2012 at 00:11.
Old 21-08-2012, 00:31   #4
sharp_circle
Fantasist

This might sound odd but create a guest account and see if the guest account can connect.
Old 21-08-2012, 02:10   #5
brianone1
Trusted User

Richie - was it working previously or is this a new laptop to your network?

Can you open up a command prompt (Run -> cmd.exe) and type in ipconfig and confirm what the IP address is (IPv4 to be explicit) as well as the Default Gateway? (Id expect the Default Gateway to be either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on the make of router unless you've manually changed that.)

If your IP address starts with 169.X.X.X, it means your laptop isn't getting an address from your router. If it is getting a valid address, I'd be looking at local security software (maybe the Windows Firewall isn't playing nicely with the McAfee one?) or something at the router that's preventing access to the Internet. If you're able to, maybe completely uninstall McAfee to rule that out? I've seen instances where just disabling it doesn't do the trick.

Some routers have settings to block certain IP addresses. On my Cisco Router they call this Access Restrictions. Any chance someone's playing a prank on you?

Finally - have you tried plugging in the laptop direct to the router with an Ethernet cable to help figure out if we're troubleshooting the wireless aspect specifically or the overall networking 'stuff'.
brianone1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 02:14   #6
brianone1
Trusted User

Oh - one other thought, on your Router - check to see if filtering by Wireless Mac is (a) enabled (b) set to allow MAC addresses other than yours. (You'll get the Mac address of your network card by using the Ipconfig command above.)

Simple test is if it's enabled, temporarily disable it, reboot your PC and see if that helps.

I'm grasping a little here and this perhaps isn't terribly likely but worth ruling out.
brianone1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 08:06   #7
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 1,190 Times in 455 Posts
yes, I'm surprised there isn't a good tool built into Windows, or even a 3rd party app that can confidently ID network issues like this.

- I'm guessing you've tried this, but - when Internet Explorer can't connect to the web, it prompts you with a popup trouble-shooter that is much better in Win-7 than it has been previously. Does this report any specific errors ?

- Have you tried fixed IP addresses for everything on your network ? Having tablets & smartphones and PCs emerging from sleep/hibernation can cause IP conflicts (as you said).

- can you connect to the router admin panel using the offending machine ?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 08:36   #8
ian turner
Trusted User

When you say dhcp is enabled on the laptop do you mean you went into properties for the wireless adapter and under internet protocol version 4 selected automatic for ip address and dns server ?
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 11:16   #9
Richie
Trusted User

Thanks for the responses guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
This might sound odd but create a guest account and see if the guest account can connect.
How do I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
I'm guessing you've tried this, but - when Internet Explorer can't connect to the web, it prompts you with a popup trouble-shooter that is much better in Win-7 than it has been previously. Does this report any specific errors ?
Just ran Windows Network Diagnostics when IE can't connect and it says "your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues", same as yesterday. This makes no sense as the others computers in the house connect to the internet no problem and the Windows 7 laptop is connected to the router with an excellent connection.

Quote:
Have you tried fixed IP addresses for everything on your network ?
No I haven't but seems strange that would be necessary. I'll give it a try later though.

Quote:
can you connect to the router admin panel using the offending machine ?
No, I can't, even though the laptop has an excellent connection to the router itself. The router admin is done via a web address, unless there's another way I'm not aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian turner View Post
When you say dhcp is enabled on the laptop do you mean you went into properties for the wireless adapter and under internet protocol version 4 selected automatic for ip address and dns server ?
Yes, and I also checked via "ipconfig".

I might "roll back" the laptop to the last point before this issue which was when a large "critical update" was installed. Worth a try, right?

Last edited by Richie; 21-08-2012 at 12:20.
Old 21-08-2012, 11:27   #10
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianone1 View Post
Richie - was it working previously or is this a new laptop to your network?
It's been working fine for over a year or more apart from the odd "IP conflict" I mentioned, this is why this whole thing is so frustrating!

Quote:
Can you open up a command prompt (Run -> cmd.exe) and type in ipconfig and confirm what the IP address is (IPv4 to be explicit) as well as the Default Gateway? (Id expect the Default Gateway to be either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 depending on the make of router unless you've manually changed that.)

If your IP address starts with 169.X.X.X, it means your laptop isn't getting an address from your router. If it is getting a valid address, I'd be looking at local security software (maybe the Windows Firewall isn't playing nicely with the McAfee one?) or something at the router that's preventing access to the Internet. If you're able to, maybe completely uninstall McAfee to rule that out? I've seen instances where just disabling it doesn't do the trick.
The IPv4 address is 192.168.1.2 (which according to the router is the start number)
ipconfig lists the Default Gateway as 192.168.1.1

Quote:
Some routers have settings to block certain IP addresses. On my Cisco Router they call this Access Restrictions. Any chance someone's playing a prank on you?
Highly unlikely I think!

Quote:
Finally - have you tried plugging in the laptop direct to the router with an Ethernet cable to help figure out if we're troubleshooting the wireless aspect specifically or the overall networking 'stuff'.
Just tried and it's the same status, excellent connection but no internet access.

Quote:
Oh - one other thought, on your Router - check to see if filtering by Wireless Mac is (a) enabled (b) set to allow MAC addresses other than yours. (You'll get the Mac address of your network card by using the Ipconfig command above.)

Simple test is if it's enabled, temporarily disable it, reboot your PC and see if that helps.

I'm grasping a little here and this perhaps isn't terribly likely but worth ruling out.
Wireless MAC filtering is not enabled.

Last edited by Richie; 21-08-2012 at 12:47.
Old 21-08-2012, 11:36   #11
ian turner
Trusted User

Can you access the routers config page from the windows 7 pc ?
Are these 3 wireless network connections listed under manage network connections or network and sharing centre ? If the former then what devices are they claimining they are associated with ? Bluetooth would appear as a wireless connection.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:10   #12
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Can you access the routers config page from the windows 7 pc ?
Just tried and no I can't. Not wirelessly and not by plugging in with an Ethernet cable either. There's no internet access via the Ethernet cable.
Quote:
Are these 3 wireless network connections listed under manage network connections or network and sharing centre ? If the former then what devices are they claimining they are associated with ? Bluetooth would appear as a wireless connection.
Yes, there are 3 wireless connections. 2 are "not connected", 1 is connected to the router.
Old 21-08-2012, 12:21   #13
njc
Trusted User

If it's any consolation, I had a call from a friend last night with exactly this kind of problem too on a W7 machine. The IP config was all fine from the Sky router, but couldn't resolve names and couldn't reach the router management interface either.

Same for either wireless or wired connections. I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a recent W7 update that did it a couple of days ago, though am going round tonight to see if I can fix it.

Last edited by njc; 21-08-2012 at 12:21.
njc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:34   #14
Richie
Trusted User

Thanks njc, if you discover anything can you post back!
I think I am going to go ahead and roll back the laptop to before the last update (which is the previous roll back point listed before I started messing about yesterday anyway)!
Old 21-08-2012, 12:48   #15
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

if you can't get to it wirelessly or wired, but you are getting an ip, sounds like the firewall is getting in the way. I know you said you disabled it, but sometimes that's not enough, maybe try uninstalling it, see if that fixes the problem.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:55   #16
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
If you're able to, maybe completely uninstall McAfee to rule that out? I've seen instances where just disabling it doesn't do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfrog View Post
if you can't get to it wirelessly or wired, but you are getting an ip, sounds like the firewall is getting in the way. I know you said you disabled it, but sometimes that's not enough, maybe try uninstalling it, see if that fixes the problem.
Okay, I'll try this (before doing a rollback).
Stupid question probably but once I uninstall McAfee, how do I get it back?
The Windows 7 laptop is the only one that uses McAfee.

Last edited by Richie; 21-08-2012 at 13:04.
Old 21-08-2012, 12:56   #17
njc
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Thanks njc, if you discover anything can you post back!
Will do.

The set up you described made me wonder if you and my friend are the same person. They've got a mac, XP machine and a W7 laptop and it's only the W7 machine that's showing this problem, exactly the same as yours, since yesterday morning.
njc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:59   #18
Richie
Trusted User

No, we're not the same person as I didn't call anyone about it last night (and I'm not on Sky BB)!
Funny coincidence though!
Old 21-08-2012, 13:07   #19
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Okay, I'll try this (before doing a rollback).
Stupid question probably but once I uninstall McAfee, how do I get it back?
The Windows 7 laptop is the only one that uses McAfee.
was it there when the machine came and you paid for a sub?
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 13:13   #20
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumfrog View Post
was it there when the machine came and you paid for a sub?
I don't actually know (it's not my pc). I think it must've been on the machine. I can't check with the owner right now either.
If uninstalling it doesn't work anyway, will doing a roll back put it back?

Last edited by Richie; 21-08-2012 at 13:14.