Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 28-08-2013, 17:06   #61
madstu
Trusted User

Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Just saw it again tonight and I still enjoyed it even with all its faults.
Why twice? There must be something else on...
Old 28-08-2013, 17:23   #62
allan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstu View Post
Why twice? There must be something else on...
Saw it in Sweden 2-3 weeks ago before it came out here and then my friend wanted to see it last night and as we have unlimited cards I thought I'd like to see it again as it didn't cost anything.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:27   #63
cold187
CallMeMrKane

watched it last night, again as other people have said was disappointing, and Foster performance was just awful

PSN/XBL Gamertag: CallMeMrKane
cold187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 09:49   #64
RoboCop4
Senior Mumbler

Watched this at the weekend, and was disappointed too. Seemed very much a case of style over substance. Some of my issues are...
Spoiler:
  • 1. A rather childish, over-simplified analogy for the ongoing - and complex - questions about free heathcare and immigration.
  • 2. Earth represented only by Los Angeles looking not much worse than some parts of the city do now. I never got the impression this was a global problem.
  • 3. A space ark whose only protection against attack appeared to be a loony on Earth with a surface-to-space missile. Seriously?? Towards the end, spider(?) was able to chase after Matt Damon in a 2nd shuttle and land it on Elysium without any interference. WTF?
  • 4. Why a space ark at all? Wouldn't it have been easier/safer to use that tech to create a logan's run style city on earth somewhere?
  • 5. Matt Damon's character undergoes major surgery (performed by weed-smoking 'surgeons' in a dirty shack) and is back on his feet and fighting within hours. His character isn't Wolverine...

I prefered Oblivion.

Last edited by RoboCop4; 29-08-2013 at 09:51.
RoboCop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 09:54   #65
allan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop4 View Post
Watched this at the weekend, and was disappointed too. Seemed very much a case of style over substance. Some of my issues are...
Spoiler:
  • 1. A rather childish, over-simplified analogy for the ongoing - and complex - questions about free heathcare and immigration.
  • 2. Earth represented only by Los Angeles looking not much worse than some parts of the city do now. I never got the impression this was a global problem.
  • 3. A space ark whose only protection against attack appeared to be a loony on Earth with a surface-to-space missile. Seriously?? Towards the end, spider(?) was able to chase after Matt Damon in a 2nd shuttle and land it on Elysium without any interference. WTF?
  • 4. Why a space ark at all? Wouldn't it have been easier/safer to use that tech to create a logan's run style city on earth somewhere?
  • 5. Matt Damon's character undergoes major surgery (performed by weed-smoking 'surgeons' in a dirty shack) and is back on his feet and fighting within hours. His character isn't Wolverine...

I prefered Oblivion.
Spoiler:
5. I'm guessing those pills were the writers way of getting around that fact as the droid said something like "these will keep you functioning normally until you die".

3. That bit didn't flag with me on first viewing but when I saw it again I straight away thought that as they just seemed to fly right in completely fine.

Old 29-08-2013, 10:09   #66
RoboCop4
Senior Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Spoiler:
5. I'm guessing those pills were the writers way of getting around that fact as the droid said something like "these will keep you functioning normally until you die".
Spoiler:
I thought those pills were to help with the effects of the radiation poisoning, not for immediate recovery from massive invasive surgery! Why bother with magic medical chambers (which can rebuild a face that's been half blown off by a grenade (with no brain damage, apparantly - even though parts of his skull were probably embedded in it)) at all when you have pills like that...
Old 29-08-2013, 10:17   #67
allan
Trusted User

Quote:
Spoiler:
I thought those pills were to help with the effects of the radiation poisoning, not for immediate recovery from massive invasive surgery! Why bother with magic medical chambers (which can rebuild a face that's been half blown off by a grenade (with no brain damage, apparantly - even though parts of his skull were probably embedded in it)) at all when you have pills like that...
Spoiler:
but just how much power did that suit give him?

I didn't like the complete lack of explanation as to how long the med bays had existed before and why they only existed on Elysium. The station itself was obviously at least 40 or so years old as Max was loooking up at from his younger years
Old 29-08-2013, 16:05   #68
Spooksta
Mr Honest

You guys are over analysing this because it was not what we were expecting.

(i agree with the nitpicks but don't think about them like you)

Still worthy of a 3/5
Old 30-08-2013, 08:27   #69
RoboCop4
Senior Mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooksta View Post

(i agree with the nitpicks but don't think about them like you)
Fair point. But the issue I have with so many 'big' films these days is the plot holes go way beyond nitpicks; they're a result of lazy writing. Nitpicking is pointing out things like this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/...ref_=tt_trv_gf.

Last edited by RoboCop4; 30-08-2013 at 08:35.
Old 30-08-2013, 08:30   #70
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooksta View Post

Still worthy of a 3/5
True enough. Personally, I was so overwhelmed with District 9 that I though this Neill Blomkamp was going to be the director of the 21st century Sci-fi films. I therefore waited with a lot of expectation for Elysium and from that point of view, it was more than slighlty diasppointing.

But as I have said in my thread immediately after seeing it, it is not bad as a standalone film but nothing special. 3/5 sounds about right.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 11:43   #71
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Quote:
Fair point. But the issue I have with so many 'big' films these days is the plot holes go way beyond nitpicks; they're a result of lazy writing. Nitpicking is pointing out things like this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/...ref_=tt_trv_gf.
Yup it does seem to be a regular thing now.
Im trying to get used to the idea its just a film rather than pull it apart but as far as summer blockbusters go this one was the most promising of recent years but also the most disappointing.

Ive always liked to score a film out of 10 but with films being enjoyable but disappointing at the same time the scores are harder to put down.
So its marks out of 5 now.

6/10 seems to low as i enjoyed it alot
3/5 feels just right :0

Its basically the same percentage lol

Ill get my coat...

Last edited by Spooksta; 30-08-2013 at 11:48.
Spooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 11:50   #72
fivebyfive
Trusted User

RoboCop4's point is spot on, massive difference between nitpicks and lazy writing. Sadly there is people who shouting everyone down with "stop moaning ffs!!!!11"

Not going to lose sleep over lazy plot holes but people shouldn't get use to it because its a big budget film
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 11:57   #73
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
RoboCop4's point is spot on, massive difference between nitpicks and lazy writing. Sadly there is people who shouting everyone down with "stop moaning ffs!!!!11"

Not going to lose sleep over lazy plot holes but people shouldn't get use to it because its a big budget film
Yup, i think my nitpick term was lazy writing itself

There is a point where things stand out like a sore thumb and those mentioned about this film certainly do.
Old 30-08-2013, 17:56   #74
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

The other problem is that the socio-political allegory that worked so well in District 9 failed quite badly in Elysium, assuming that Blomkamp had something similar in mind.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 20:30   #75
Taq
Evil Scientist

I enjoyed this, but I didn't get
Spoiler:
why the people in charge just didn't re-run the reboot software and set everyone on Earth back to illegals again?

Say what you want about Blomkamp, but he makes really cool hi-tech guns
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25   #76
anephric
Kidney Thief

Re: Elysium

I probably enjoyed this more than most on here, going by this thread, although Matt Damon was terribly miscast - if Eminem pulled out they could've at least followed through and tried to get someone who is similarly a bit edgy and street, not Boston's finest.

Sharlto Copley completely steals this. I would quite happily have watched the entire film from his perspective and his mercenary mates ******* everyone over.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51   #77
Dno
StolenBadger

I found him to be quite watchable as well.. The cat-and-mouse section with the gunship/dropship thing hunting them down was the most memorable section for me.. I loved the design of the ship, and the relatively grounded effects & camera work is where Blomkamp shines through. A week later, everything else was pretty forgettable.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51   #78
Gedalia
Space Monkey

I finally caught this last night, and whilst it was entertaining, I was hardly blown away.

The leads were just weird. I don’t think Damon or Foster were right for their roles. Whilst an enjoyable enough movie on the surface, I just didn’t feel that Blomkamp did anywhere near as good a job world building as he did with District 9. If I start to think about any of it too much, it just raises loads of unanswered questions, and so I have to treat this as a somewhat forgettable summer action sci-fi/action movie.

You could see a lot of ideas from his failed Halo movie in here though, what with the exo-suits, drop ships, funky weapons and the habitat that was very halo shaped…

The ending was just cheesy none-sense too, even though
Spoiler:
Damon died, which my wife thought was a good non-hollywood ending, ignoring the ridiculous implication that this one habitat had enough med-droids to heal the entire world.

As others have said, I think the ending was a massive cop-out, with no real thought as to what the implications are.

My favourite sci-fi movie of the summer is still very much the beautiful and mesmerising Oblivion.

Last edited by Gedalia; 03-09-2013 at 08:52.
Gedalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 16:46   #79
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Re: Elysium

This was daft and good fun but not a classic by any means. Reminded me a little of the (far more clown shoes) Lockout.
rustybin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:04   #80
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Not done good box office either has it. Shame as the look of the film is great.