Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 19-11-2011, 14:09   #1
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Harry Potter on Bluray - definitive best way to buy...

Never read a Harry Potter book. Never seen a Harry Potter movie. Knowing early on that there was going to be 7 books / movies I just decided to wait until everything was done and grab them all in a box set.

I'd like to avoid ever having to double dip on these in the future. 1 week until the first box set is out. Great value for 8 movies in HD - £32.99 - But of course WB start screwing with us by releasing 'Ultimate' editions on the same day.

What is going to be the best buy in the long run? I'm a movie fan, so love behind the scenes docs and commentaries - these are thin on the ground in the box set right? Also - extended editions - these are only on the Ultimate Editions right?

I'm sure all the Ultimate Editions will be packaged together eventually too - worth waiting for this? - has there been any decent bonus material announced that is going to held up for this inevitable box set?

Any decent bonus materials that have been in previous editions that is missing from the Ultimate ones?

Just trying to decide whether to cancel the box set next week and start getting the Ultimates or continue waiting - I've waiting 7 years so another few months won't hurt.
dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 15:05   #2
Richie
Trusted User

The 8 film boxset is probably your best bet. If you haven't cared up to now why would you want the Ultimate Editions anyway? You might dislike the films!
To see what the Ultimates contain you can check out reviews of the R1 versions to date starting with http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Harry-...y/5723/#Review
Although I don't know if the UK Ultimates will be exactly the same content wise (and obviously we get the proper 'Philospher's Stone' like France and Canada etc rather than 'Sorcerer's Stone').
Btw, only the first 2 films have "extended" versions in the Ultimate Editions.

Bare in mind that WB have said:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7614

Quote:
WHV are looking at a vault style release schedule for their multi-billion dollar Harry Potter movie franchise. The report indicates that WHV are going to pull all versions of Harry Potter from sale on December 29th 2011.

This means that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection will have just eight weeks on general sale before they are pulled from shelves and supply becomes seriously constrained.

WHV have not announced their future plans for the franchise and how they will take advantage of the vault, but we can expect Collectors Editions or Special Editions released on an annual basis with extra features and deleted scenes taking advantage of holiday season purchasing habits.
Whether this applies to the UK and rest of the world outside the US I don't know.

Plus on the US Deathly Hallows Part 2 there's a trailer for NEXT YEAR'S Super Duper Special Definitive Collection Edition Collection! So there's that.

Also read what director David Yates had to say about it: http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/4975

If in doubt, wait. If you want the most super amazing set you'll have to wait a year.
If you want to watch all 8 films sooner then get the £33 boxset.

Last edited by Richie; 19-11-2011 at 15:20.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 15:26   #3
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

People have been talking about the fabled Muggles editions of these movies being released since the first one came out on DVD!

Last edited by Roberto; 19-11-2011 at 15:26.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 10:57   #4
jackal
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post

Whether this applies to the UK and rest of the world outside the US I don't know.
According to the Bits, the HP moratorium only applies to the US and Canada.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa198.html (scroll down to 26/10)
Old 20-11-2011, 11:06   #5
Richie
Trusted User

Ah okay, cool.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 11:21   #6
Space Duck
Trusted User

Slightly **** off at Amazon because for Deathly Hallows Part One they did a steelbook but not a thing for Part Two. Had to order from Amazon.de.

Amazon Germany have a very cool and expensive complete set.
Old 20-11-2011, 18:54   #7
simong
I'm taking it back!

Like the idea of the Ultimate Editions but at close to 25 quid a pop getting the lot would be pushing £200! Plus they don't look very shelf friendly.
The £60 limited boxset looks more appealing.
Old 17-10-2013, 13:33   #8
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

I'm resurrecting this thread because i want to complete my HP collection but i don't know how best to go about it. I want all the blu-rays (Including the 3D discs for the last two) in the mega Wizard edition but that box set was stupidly large and now stupidly expensive. I have the first 6 movies on Blu-ray already but with my OCD i'm willing to sell them for a nice box set. The best way it seems to get as many extras as possible seems to be the combination of these two

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter...timate+edition

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/4...bc%7b600%7d%2b

As far as i can tell the second link is the 3D movies only and all the extras in the second disc are gone. Is there a better/cheaper way to get it all? I'm aware that i might have to forego the ultimate extended editions of the first two movies, were they any good or was the extra bits pointless?

Last edited by Roberto; 17-10-2013 at 13:44.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:55   #9
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Holy crap, the wizard's collection is HOW MUCH?? If I need to raise any cash that big ******* box set will go on amazon/play sharpish!!
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:10   #10
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Even at £130 it was too much for my blood, but the real reason i didn't go for it was because it was too bloody huge and i have nowhere to put it. It would have been nice if they just had a normal sized box set of just the BD's for half the price