Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 21:06   #1
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

R.I.P. Sony MiniDisc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_893187.html

After 22 years Sony announce the discontinuation of the MiniDisc player.

Hands up who thought they did this 10 years ago.

Amazingly they still make the CD Walkman. Who still uses those and why?
dunkrag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:21   #2
luffk
Trusted User

There is a blast from the past.

I had one years ago as a replacement for my walkman. I then picked up another one a few years ago when I had a stint working as a reporter / website bod for a football club. They were actually pretty good for recording interviews on and kept the quality high after frequent use.

However even those little dictaphone things (which I always thought a bit fiddly) seem have killed off that final little niche. Shame.
Old 08-07-2011, 21:42   #3
Random
Ninja Extraordinaire

MiniDisc rocks. I have a unit in my car, and I wouldn't change it for anything. The battery in my portable unit has died though, so I have to run it off the mains.

I remember when the iPod first came along, I thought "nah, that will never beat the MiniDisc".

R.I.P. MiniDisc
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:50   #4
luffk
Trusted User

I remember getting some random 64mb mp3 player years ago but thought ripping CD's etc was a faff on and took up way too much hard drive space so ran back off to my mini-disc player.
Old 08-07-2011, 21:59   #5
callmecheez
Trusted User

I always thought if (data) CD's had died in favour of data mini-discs, life would've been so much easier with regards to scratched CDs etc, as the disc was obvious enclosed in a sort of caddy.
Old 08-07-2011, 22:17   #6
RobDickinson
Trusted User

Sony should have opened the tech up to others way sooner than they did, by the time they widened its manufacturing the writing was on the wall.

Good riddance to sony proprietary tech.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:54   #7
LouBarlow
Game Changer

Long live the DAT!
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:01   #8
hedgie
Sounds That Can't Be Made

I still have a mini-disc hi-fi and a personal player, although I think at least the battery is dead on the personal. But I never upgraded the one place where it made most sense - the car. It was always the plan to upgrade but it seemed too expensive and too much of a hassle, especially if I sold the car. Eventually a compromise turned up when I got a PC and could copy CDs. But even now I'd still prefer an in car mini-disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkrag View Post
I don't use one anymore, but I'd guess people who can't or don't want to try to get to grips with digital players and people who prefer the better audio quality of a CD.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53   #9
beebul
--- Pom in Oz----✈

Still got a recorder/ player and loads of discs. It was a pain in the arse to transfer music over as I had to record real-time but still have fond memories of carting discs around
beebul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03   #10
The Cleaner
diska diska diska

Found my discs the other day in the cupboard. Oh the time spent recording them! And then entering the track names afterwards
The Cleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:11   #11
Ratfink
*Paracinemaniac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
Found my discs the other day in the cupboard. Oh the time spent recording them! And then entering the track names afterwards
I used to enjoy doing that. Tape compilations were the best, but minidisc came a close second and were easy to edit to precision. I used to love calling the compilations amusing things before passing them to friends. I still have my player, and a minidisc walkman, although that has been retired in favour of an Ipod.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30   #12
alsemail
Bibble....

I had a Walkman and a MD player in my car for years, it's the only car stereo I've ever bothered to remove and put in my new one. Tape was dead and CD's were too bulky. MD was where it was at....

It was a great little format, Sony created it and killed it at the same time and they still haven't learned with all their proprietary format crap.
alsemail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 13:01   #13
anephric
Kidney Thief

A lot of blind people still use CD walkmans for speaking books, which is why they still exist.
Old 09-07-2011, 13:17   #14
thescrounger
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkrag View Post

Probably because they still sell CDs with music on them. And CD players is what you play them on.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 13:46   #15
Anorakus
Trusted User

I still have a very nice Sony minidisc deck in my hifi setup - a JBS-940, which at the time I bought it (2002) was the top-of-the-range model. It's a cracking bit of kit - pristine sound quality and more editing functions than you can shake a stick at - you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands

I don't use MD's much now - my car deck fell into disuse when I changed my car for one with a built-in CD/radio - and I use my phone for music on the move. But it was (and is) a quality recording system that does what it says on the tin. I have a MD walkman with a mic input - I'm still looking for an opportunity to get a decent mic and try some live recording!

Does anyone remember pre-recorded MD's? There were never many around, and mid-late 90's music (predominantly from Sony artists) would have to be your thing but I've picked up a few from charity shops for nostalgia value

For any MD die-hards out there, Tascam do a very nice pro recorder with plenty of connections and editing functions. It won't be cheap, but if you want to keep the format alive you won't mind

A.

Last edited by Anorakus; 09-07-2011 at 13:52.
Anorakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 14:07   #16
Anorakus
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDickinson View Post
Sony should have opened the tech up to others way sooner than they did, by the time they widened its manufacturing the writing was on the wall.
Back in 2001-ish, the format was gaining acceptance in the UK after a shaky start fighting it out with DCC. I remember going to the US on a business trip and treating myself to a MD walkman from the duty-free Dixons. They had several models to choose from. Unfortunately for Sony, the iPod was just around the corner....

Quote:
Good riddance to sony proprietary tech.
Sony made the same mistake they did with Betamax, and perhaps they deserved to fail - but it's a shame to see MD go as it's a technically excellent system. (As was Betamax, for the time.)

A.

Last edited by Anorakus; 09-07-2011 at 14:09.
Anorakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 22:59   #17
PAZ
Twiddler

I bought an Aiwa minidisc whilst on jury service to pass the time - years back, I occasionally rediscover it and and use it for a while then forget about it again. Apart from the appalling Sony software which was the only way of getting tracks on to it I thought it was a really nice bit of kit. Doing some long distance driving soon so I might rediscover it again.
PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 00:11   #18
MovieMax
Trusted User

I must admit I thought the format died many years ago, after all when was the last time you visited HMV and found a section dedicated to the MiniDisc. Shame it never caught on, as it was definitely a step up from the humble cassette.
MovieMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13   #19
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

I loved my minidisc portable with its editing functions. Hated Sony's Sonicstage software though, cludgey rubbish that was. RealPlayer came out with a plugin to their software that allowed you to transfer music from your PC to the minidisc via USB though (from memory I think it basically copied over as mp3s). But as it was stored as digital files and not audio, you could get more tracks on each disc (and still had all the track details of each track).

I still have my portable although its not been used in years. I still have a portable CD player lying around somewhere too (although having a FLAC-playing Cowon X7 has finally rendered it obsolete).
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25   #20
danielsesay
Your Oh Vision!

I still have my MD deck and my portable MD player. Not used them for years though. I've still got lots of disks lying around, some are in fact albums I don't have as mp3s so I must get round to converting them. I remember being fascinated when my friend first got his recordable portable MD player when we were in 6th form. Loved it so much that I eventually bought myself the deck I still own which came with a free player, which I eventually replaced with a better one a year later. It was much better than cassettes which had that horrible hiss. Being able to record was a BIG selling point for me. The only downside was hauling discs around with you when you went on holiday or even just out and about. I think that was why it got killed by mp3 players - you can carry many albums with you without the extra discs.

Shame it's died because MDs would've been perfect for storing data on for games, software etc.

RIP.
danielsesay is offline   Reply With Quote