Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 28-05-2011, 17:45   #1
Tempest
Trusted User

Handbrake Video Converter - Too quiet - Any solutions?

I'm guessing quite a few people here use the program Handbrake to convert video's from their native format to the MPEG4 format Apple insist on using.

Handbrake is an excellent product, especially as it's free
And I'm getting superb image quality with a full length HD movie being shrunk to around 1GB using the current iPad setting of 1024 pixels wide.

My big problem though is it too dam quiet

Does anyone have any tricks or settings you can change on Handbrake to increase the sound level? When I watch other things on the iPad, the volume level can be around double what I'm getting with Handbrake converted films.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:20   #2
MKIKE
Gooner

What are you encoding the audio to, pro logic II? Might be worth trying just plain stereo?
MKIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:35   #3
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIKE View Post
What are you encoding the audio to, pro logic II? Might be worth trying just plain stereo?
Funnily enough I had the same thought

As the iPad had rather, lets tactfully say, basic speakers!
It seemed a bit OTT to stay with the default Dolby Pro Logic, so I did select Stereo from the iPad default settings. I also changed the DRC value from zero up to the maximum 4 setting, which I believe is supposed to compress the dynamic range and to be honest it made no difference.

I remember from early DVD days complaints about low volume levels which were explained away by the fact they had an increased dynamic range.

Basically this seems to mean in reality, that quiet things are quieter, so you turn the volume up to a higher setting, so that when a loud bit comes along it's REALLY LOUD.

On a HiFi of course, this is fine as you have plenty of Audio Welly and can ramp up the volume fine.
However given the iPad's less than stellar speakers and volume it's a bit of a non starter.
iPlayer is very loud and clear however which is great.
I'm guessing the quiet bits need ramping up (the dynamic range being compressed) then the whole lot can be raised up. which is what I thought the DRC setting did, but to be honest, seems to make little real difference.
Old 28-05-2011, 18:55   #4
wakey99999

check out the forums on the handbrake website, the members there are really good if you have an issues.

I presume you are using the standard preset, it maybe that you just have to tweek it a little?

Depending on the source of the file you are converting though have a look at MKVtools (presuming you have a mac) as thats a lot quicker for converting to MP4 format. (make sure though you have a 2 channel AAC audio track though as thats what the ipad uses.

Last edited by wakey99999; 28-05-2011 at 18:55.
wakey99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 20:00   #5
thescrounger
Trusted User

I found Handbrake to encode the sound at too low a volume, it's a known issue. What you want to download is the nightly build which is a beta, but months ahead of the official build. It has an audio gain option which I set to +4 and that seems to have improved the output volume when encoding to AAC/MP3. Leave the DRC alone, it's not very effective.

https://build.handbrake.fr/

Last edited by thescrounger; 28-05-2011 at 20:18.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 20:49   #6
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
I found Handbrake to encode the sound at too low a volume, it's a known issue. What you want to download is the nightly build which is a beta, but months ahead of the official build. It has an audio gain option which I set to +4 and that seems to have improved the output volume when encoding to AAC/MP3. Leave the DRC alone, it's not very effective.

https://build.handbrake.fr/
Thanks for that. Never knew that existed.
Downloaded a GUI version and trying it now with +20db (the max setting)
Will either be great or terrible, will report back

======= EDIT========

Yay...... We have success (partially)

The new Gain control really works, albeit the 20% (MAX) setting I used has introduced some distortion, as I expected really, but I had to try it to see.

I guess now just have to see how high I can go without introducing distortion that's noticeable.

Last edited by Tempest; 28-05-2011 at 22:19.