Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 20-09-2010, 17:22   #1
scoobyood
S: Joeoshock PSN: JAYmock

Minecraft (PC/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS/XBOX/PSN/Lego)

I am shocked there isn't a thread for this already. Anyone else play this yet?

I'll let the youtube Minecraft guy, David, explain what it is..

David has a 40+ episode series on his channel where he adventures and builds stuff. http://www.youtube.com/davidr64yt

I plan to buy this when the website is back up. So many people have brought it lately the site has been overloaded and guy who's developing it is a millionaire.

When the site is back you'll see there is a free version available that you play in the browser. That has no monsters or any survival element, it's basically just a creator where it generates the world and lets you play around placing blocks, burrowing and building things.

The game is half price while it's in alpha and for that you'll get all subsequent updates (out on a Friday) and Notch (the games creator) has big plans for it in the future. Recent updates include snow levels, a fire starter and a compass. The game has a multiplayer side and soon COOP adventuring.

Here is a review of it on Australian TV.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/vi...0_2030&story=5

edit: XBLA trailer out now.. on the dash or youtube.

Last edited by scoobyood; 18-10-2014 at 10:37.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 17:44   #2
BigDavie2000
Big Member

I bought it the other day and been spending hours mining and building. Currently I am trying to build a railway but haven't figured out how to leave a cart.
Old 20-09-2010, 19:10   #3
scoobyood

As per the notice on the site, I'm playing it now for free, till the servers are back. I'm on my first night and have made a little corner to stay while the monster roam

edit: I've been playing this since I created this post and I've already run into a cobblestone monster dungeon! There's one behind my house.... do I go in now... or shall I create some armour or something? This game is scary... but my house is cool.

Last edited by scoobyood; 20-09-2010 at 21:23.
Old 20-09-2010, 23:07   #4
scoobyood

Check it out. One empty dungeon.

In the end I whimped out going on a full on attack, this was a spider dungeon and I have no armour. So I burrowed around and under it and came up right under the monster spawner. Took that out and then the spiders where no problem. Got a load of loot from the chest as well.
Old 21-09-2010, 07:36   #5
BigDavie2000
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Check it out. One empty dungeon.

In the end I whimped out going on a full on attack, this was a spider dungeon and I have no armour. So I burrowed around and under it and came up right under the monster spawner. Took that out and then the spiders where no problem. Got a load of loot from the chest as well.
Are you playing Multiplayer? I have yet to see any chests except those I make myself.

Just made a monster trap after following instructions on youtube. I made it exactly as said but it isn't killing them as planned just trapping them. I saw another that used lava which should be more effective but had no instructions on how to build.
Old 21-09-2010, 09:12   #6
vast_girth
Dirty Scone

I tried it out because of the 'free weekend' and it is strangely compulsive isn't it?

Built a nice little cave network with an impressive castle like entrance next to a waterfall, re-directing the water to be a moat. Then mined down and ended up in a whopping great cavern with lava.

It is very good, but a little too rough round the edges for me at the moment. Not to mention it would be impossible to play without looking online. But i will certainly be keeping and eye on it and will play again. I look forward to what Notch can do with a whole studio behind him...
vast_girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 11:17   #7
scoobyood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavie2000 View Post
Are you playing Multiplayer? I have yet to see any chests except those I make myself.
Nope this is in the single player. They are rare but the game randomly inserts dungeons of cobble stone (cobble stone does not naturally occur unless in a dungeon). They are always the size you see in picture, note the mossy cobblestone floor. In the centre of the dungeon is a monster spawner which looks like a cage with fire in the middle, this one spawned about 6 or 7 spiders. You have to break down the spawner with a pickaxe or it will constantly pump out monsters.

The chest is your prize for surviving and killing the monsters. In that chest I got 3 buckets, 7 steal, a pig saddle, some corn and a couple of loaves of bread.

The way to track down a dungeon is to listen for the scary music, that's to indicate that you are close to one.

A dungeon encounter..

Last edited by scoobyood; 21-09-2010 at 11:29.
Old 21-09-2010, 12:10   #8
waldopepper
Trusted User

Lots of people are telling me to play it so there's definitely some greatness going on there!

Some gamers are turning their noses up at it due to the blocky old-school graphics but they're missing the point - games are about gameplay simple fun as much as how good they look. Videos on Youtube look like crap most of the time but it's still massively popular.

I was watching some tutorials and someone pointed out this one - absolutely hilarious. Don't play with fire kids!
waldopepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:47   #9
Dno
StolenBadger

Jesus H Christ this is addictive. Having only just started playing, I've lost two evenings to it now.

Exploring one of the natural caverns had a greater sense of tension and atmosphere than nearly any of the 'AAA' titles I've played in recent years.
Old 29-09-2010, 11:36   #10
vast_girth
Dirty Scone

Apparently he is making up to £350k a DAY! from minecraft!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...s-lovely-rich/
vast_girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 19:04   #11
scoobyood

****... that's a lot of money.

This is also crazy, how long would it take to mine all that red stone?!... Note: Nerd alert.

Old 30-09-2010, 17:15   #12
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Minecraft is very addictive. I got it right after the first Mine the gap episode on RPS and it's been lots of fun. So much so that my wife bought her copy, my 12 year old sons got their own copy and several of my friends have started playing it.

I even set up a multiplayer server I run on my machine where those few friends meet up to create stuff. It's very different from the survival aspect of single player Minecraft. But it's great fun to get to be creative and share with your friends too.

The game is simple and yet it can get you engrossed for hours as you explore just one more cavern, decide to go find out what crazy world has been generated beyond the horizon or dig deep to find diamond.

My current home is a tower at the top of a high mountain. It's built above cloud level:

A nice change of location, considering I started my first day of Minecraft life by inadvertently falling down a deep hole with only a few blocks of woods and wooden tools on me and nearly dying there and then.

The game is great and, Alpha or not, really worth a try. If you are not sure, read the RPS series to get a taste of Minecraft life. It's an entertaining read.

For those who want to try different graphics for the game, check out the Painterly Pack: http://painterlypack.net/

Wendelius

Last edited by Wendelius; 30-09-2010 at 21:05. Reason: Typos and stuff
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 16:43   #13
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

What's the one thing you shouldn't have on your hotbar right next to the wooden planks when you are building a wooden bridge?

That's right. Flint!

I couldn't put it out fast enough. So I had to run back and sacrifice about 10 blocks of length of my brand new bridge to buy myself enough time to hack a 3 block gap.

All the while, I had visions of the guy burning down the Minecraft house. There were about a thousand planks in my bridge. Be still my beating heart.

Wendelius
Old 01-10-2010, 18:33   #14
scoobyood

Nooooooooo...! I burnt myself by accident with the flint when I was trying to dig down :P Now I carry a water bucket everywhere with me, I keep it in my small crafting area. You can use that to store stuff too.

Last edited by scoobyood; 01-10-2010 at 18:34.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41   #15
scoobyood

Old 02-10-2010, 13:39   #16
slh
Xbox Live: Riviera Kid 69

slh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:37   #17
Radyr
M00!

Neeed moooar diamonds!
Radyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12   #18
richie-t
Dick Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh View Post
that is LOL tastic.

I looked on his youtube vids, and hes posted a video response to that.

Someone commented this below:

"if i had a vagina, id let you minecraft it"
richie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:09   #19
scoobyood

This game is going to be the ruin of me. Check out the crib.. I'm standing on my tree farm

The whole of that mountain it's built into is like swiss cheese, here's the other side, I've mined out a big chunk of the back.

This took forever.

When you see people have strip-mined huge spaces down to bed rock... even if they used diamond it must have taken hours and hours. I've been down to the bottom quite a bit but haven't found diamond yet

Last edited by scoobyood; 04-10-2010 at 14:22.
Old 04-10-2010, 17:25   #20
Radyr
M00!

Best place to find diamond is in the roofs above lava pools
Radyr is offline   Reply With Quote