Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 12-02-2002, 18:46   #1
Peachey
Trusted User

Eltax Atomic A6/A-8 subs

I have a Kenwood 5050 amp with Eltax Hollywood speakers. I'm thinking about adding a sub to the setup but am on a tight budget at the moment. QED sell the Eltax Atomic A6 sub for about £60 including delivery and the A-8 for about £80 including delivery. Does anybody have either of these subs? If so, what's the verdict? Would they make a notable difference to my current set up?
Peachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 20:53   #2
bobwindy

Ive got the atomic A8 and it makes a massive difference (got a kenwood 9050amp.....had the 5030 before).....I spent an age fiddling to get the thing right but its worth it, the bass is definatly "feelable" in some films....id go for the A-8 btw as ive currently got it on between 8-9 volume so id think the a-6 would be a little underpowered. The only downside is the auto-cut off which emits a loud (i mean Loud!!) pop if you turn the amp off if the sub is on....so you have to wait 10 mins after using before turning the amp into standby....not major but a tad annoying.

HTH
bobwindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 23:28   #3
RT
Clonk's coming...

Quote:
Originally posted by bobwindy
The only downside is the auto-cut off which emits a loud (i mean Loud!!) pop if you turn the amp off if the sub is on....so you have to wait 10 mins after using before turning the amp into standby....not major but a tad annoying.

HTH
That could be more to do with your amp than the sub. I have the A8 and have never heard a pop or thud when turning off the amp.
Old 13-02-2002, 09:03   #4
bobwindy

Quote:
Originally posted by RT

That could be more to do with your amp than the sub. I have the A8 and have never heard a pop or thud when turning off the amp.
Well it did it on my old kenwood 5030, which is practically the same amp so therefore i would presume it would do it with the 5050
Old 13-02-2002, 12:50   #5
kevlatimer
Buying unecessary things

I have the A-8 and it does emit a very loud thump when you turn it off after heavy use! Also, the heatsinks at the back can get very hot, and you can catch your hand on it when you're turning it off.

Aside from that, its a marvellous sub for the price, and is far more refined than my dads Gale (can't remember the model, the cheap Richer Sounds one), couldn't watch films without it! I'm using mine with a Nad T760 amp btw.
kevlatimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2002, 14:11   #6
RT
Clonk's coming...

Strange. I'm using the A8 with a 7050 and have never heard a thump or pop from it yet. From the sounds of it I'm lucky.

Peachy : The A8 is £72.83p inc delivery from QED
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2002, 17:41   #7
clayts
Trusted User

I'm also the proud owner of a "thudding" A8 (with Yammy DSPA5), but it does everything else fine and dandy.

I'm pretty sure it's the same model Richer Sounds are advertising for £50 in this month's What HiFi, altho' they call it the Symphony A8 - I don't doubt for a minute that it's the same pesky little critter.

Incidentally you shouldn't need to up the volume on the A8 to 8 or 9 unless you live in an aircraft hangar - it's only supposed to reinforce the bass coming from the front speakers, not take over.

Man, there must be some crumbling walls around that house

Last edited by clayts; 13-02-2002 at 17:42.
clayts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2002, 19:05   #8
RT
Clonk's coming...

Does anyone else have a non-thudding A8, or is it just me? - Not that I'm complaining

Re: Symphony - Just had a look at Eltax and the symphony specs are identical to the Atomic A8 apart from a 5hz difference on the x-over setting, which, assuming it isn't a typo - richers show the specs as identical to the A8 - shouldn't make any difference whatsoever as the 5050 will be handling bass management.

£50 is a bargain, especially when you consider Richer's website shows it at £119
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2002, 21:06   #9
bobwindy

Quote:
Originally posted by clayts

Man, there must be some crumbling walls around that house
The kenwoods have got a fairly low line output for the sub (which has been noted in several reviews).....plus it helps with my bowel problems
Old 14-02-2002, 08:14   #10
SloppyJoe
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by RT
Does anyone else have a non-thudding A8, or is it just me? - Not that I'm complaining

Mine doesn't thud - but then again I leave it one most of the time.
Old 14-02-2002, 11:24   #11
andymc
PS2Online = SkipIntro

I have the Atomic A8 as part of the Eltax Stargate X1 set and a Yamaha DSP-A5.

The Sub turns itself to standby after 20 mins. If I'm watching with the sound turned right down (late at night) the sub turns itself off. It also turns itself off sometime after I set the amp to standby when I go to bed. When it stands by there is a noticable click that sounds like a relay not the speaker. I never get a thump. I never physically turn off my sub.

Perhaps you could try turning the amp volume to 0 before turning it off? Failing that turn the sub off before you turn off the amp?

AMc
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2002, 18:24   #12
clayts
Trusted User

You are right, Andy - the sub should always be turned off before the amp

(Or leave them all switched on, he said wastefully )
clayts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2002, 18:27   #13
Peachey
Trusted User

Thanks all for your advice. Sounds like buying a sub is the way to go.

Sorry I didn't post any thanks last night, but I was away and not able to log on.
Old 20-07-2012, 09:12   #14
Kriseh

Good morning everyone and sorry for bringing this old post up.

My stepdad got this Eltax Atomic A-8 which smelled really burned when turning on yesterday. I took the sub apart and found out a resistor was completely burned. Now the problem is, I can't find any circuitboard sheet on the internet so maybe one of the owners of a atomic a-8 sub in this topic can tell me wich resistorvalue or resistorcolors the resistor marked as R-34 has?

With this information I can fix the sub again, I already googled alot but can't find anyhing about this sub, so I guess you guys are my last hope.

With kind regards,

Kriseh
Kriseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 09:21   #15
Peachey
Trusted User

Sorry Kriseh, can't help as Eltax sub has long gone from my set up.
Old 20-07-2012, 15:55   #16
Vulcan101
More DVD's please

You could always try Eltax, they might be willing to tell you.
“Life is not an easy matter. You cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness” Leon Trotsky
Vulcan101 is offline   Reply With Quote