Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 28-01-2009, 17:25   #1
Confused
Where am I?

Panasonic Plasma TH42PX70 fault

My TV has just started showing a thin vetical line, top of the screen to the bottom, about 1/3 from the left hand side. Any ideas what this may be? Its on all sources, PS3, digibox, Wii so I think the problem is the TV itself. I got it from John Lewis about 18 months ago, so well with their 5 year warranty. Does anyone know if/when JL take the TV away for repair they provide a 'loaner'?
Confused is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 18:41   #2
Kryten

Sounds like the TV is knackered (probably panel fault or connection fault). I am not sure if they provide a loaner though, I do not think they do.
Old 29-01-2009, 21:00   #3
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

Mine did that. It's pretty common fault once you google for it..

Needs a new panel.
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:08   #4
Dan
Trusted User

Try this.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 00:17   #5
HarryTipper
Trusted User

Had the exact same problem last week with exactly the same TV. Just turned it on one night after getting home from work to find a thin pink/purple line running vertically down the screen. As Bapapapa says it's a pretty common problem with the early waves of PX70 models, and Panasonic are well aware of it. It needs the entire screen replaced with new boards etc. On the plus side you may end up getting the same updated screen as used in the new PX80 models.

As you're within warranty you're in luck. Mine was out of warranty (have had it for about 16 months), but I phoned Panasonic to ask what my options were and before I could go into details about what the line looked like they stopped me and said they'd cover the cost of a new screen and also contribute towards the labour charge. Awesome! They came to pick up the TV last Thursday and I should hopefully get it back early next week.

Don't know about you being able to get a 'loaner' but you could ask.
HarryTipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 13:21   #6
gjh

My TH37PX70 went exactly same way 2 weeks ago. Under JL warrenty so contacted them. They contacted local engineer. He came out said common fault on these. No need to take TV away he would return to get if JL authorised fix. JL just came back with offer for me to choose new TV. My choice is their lowest price 37 LCD - Samsung LE37A457 or their lowest price Plasma - Samsung PS42A57. Think I will go for 42" plasma.
Bit of a cheek not offering lowest price of same make TV.
Has anyone ague about choice they got for replacement and got better ?

They haven't asked for old TV back yet so I may get to keep as game TV or use in bedroom. The line doesn't really show up much watching normal TV.
gjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 14:04   #7
Psycho
Trusted User

From the AV Forums...

Quote:
On the label on the back will end PX70B or PX70BA. The PX70BA is the model with the upgraded panel and should be free from the issue.
I checked mine last night and it's PX70BA. So fingers crossed I won't get this problem but I have heard a lot of people saying they have.

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 12:25   #8
Confused
Where am I?

Thanks for all the replies - I've done some googling since and seen that its not an uncommon problem.

Called JL on Wednesday, they (or one of their contracted engineers) are coming out on Monday to take a look at the TV. Strangley when I asked if it was a common problem they claimed they had never heard of it before

Ideally I would like them to replace the panel. I dont think I would be happy if they try to fob me off with one of the Samsungs as I specifically chose Panasonic over the Sammys when I got the PX70 - better blacks and colours (to my eye at least). Having said that perhaps the difference in quality has changed in the last year and half - are the Samsung mondels gjh mentions any good? Time for more googling I think...

BTW, the JL customer service bloke said if they need to take the TV away for repair they would leave a like-for-like loaner. Which was nice...
Old 17-02-2009, 22:36   #9
Confused
Where am I?

Update

The TV was collected on Monday (16th Feb) - they left me with a loaner (32' JVC LCD) - and have replaced the panel, not sure what type yet (PX70 or PX80), although according to the docket its part number is MD42H10A1J with a unit cost of Ł669.01 . They are dropping off the repaired TV tomorrow.
Obviously haven't seen the TV yet, but if it performs as good as the old one (before the vertical line appeared) then I'll be very happy with how JL handled this.
Old 18-02-2009, 14:34   #10
deanos
You can call me Deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused View Post
Ideally I would like them to replace the panel. I dont think I would be happy if they try to fob me off with one of the Samsungs as I specifically chose Panasonic over the Sammys when I got the PX70 - better blacks and colours (to my eye at least). Having said that perhaps the difference in quality has changed in the last year and half - are the Samsung mondels gjh mentions any good? Time for more googling I think...

BTW, the JL customer service bloke said if they need to take the TV away for repair they would leave a like-for-like loaner. Which was nice...
My dad & FIL both have a Samsung 42" Plasma bought recently, and the picture is not a patch on my PX70 , sound is also very pants on them as well