Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 21-11-2008, 15:38   #1
kwangomango
Trusted User

What does 'Diverted Call' mean on phone display?

A friend of mine is with '3' and is receiving dozens of calls a day which display 'Diverted Call' on the display.
When he answers there is nothing at the other end. He has no call diverting set up, to or from his phone.
Is this some kind of scam?

Cheers.
kwangomango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 21:04   #2
stupendo
Lost......

Incoming diverted calls

If an incoming call is diverted, a mobile will normally tell you, either by briefly showing "Diverted Call" or similar, or by prefixing the caller's number with the > symbol. When calls are diverted, the number displayed is that of the original caller, not that of any intermediate step in the chain.

http://www.mobileshop.org/usertech/diverts.htm
stupendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 14:11   #3
DB2k
Mother Goose you pussy!

when you make a call the phone should say incoming calls diverted. You haven't really explained what's going on tho so not sure what is happening.

Of course your friend has diverts active. how do you think voicemail works?
Old 25-11-2008, 06:34   #4
mburton2
Trusted User

Sounds to me, like someone else has set their phone to divert to your friends number....but why they dont hear anythign when answering, I cant explain.
mburton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 09:35   #5
kwangomango
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB2k View Post
when you make a call the phone should say incoming calls diverted. You haven't really explained what's going on tho so not sure what is happening.

Of course your friend has diverts active. how do you think voicemail works?
Sorry,i thought i had explained.
Friends phone rings and when he looks at the display it says 'diverted call' rather than 'private number' or the number of the caller. He answers the phone and there is no one at the other end. This is happening multiple times per day. He hasn't manually set any other phone to divert to his mobile.

I thought it was a mistake by someone else at first, but it is strange that it repeatedly happens and nothing is at the other end. That is why i thought it was automated and potentially some form of scam.

Cheers for the help.
Old 25-11-2008, 12:40   #6
ac
Trusted User

It's probably a spam marketing phone call. They have automatic diallers and often if there isn't an agent ready you'll just get an empty line when you answer.

The diverted call bit would likely be where they reroute the call before it reaches you, although this is generally done so that you get a caller display of a central number you can call back on (if done properly this number will have a recording telling you why they were ringing, and instructions on how to remove your number from their list). Does a number ever get displayed (ie. after a few seconds)? What's listed in the call log on the phone?

Your phone provider should be able to help track the source down if it is causing an issue.

Last edited by ac; 25-11-2008 at 12:42.
ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 13:04   #7
kwangomango
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
It's probably a spam marketing phone call. They have automatic diallers and often if there isn't an agent ready you'll just get an empty line when you answer.

The diverted call bit would likely be where they reroute the call before it reaches you, although this is generally done so that you get a caller display of a central number you can call back on (if done properly this number will have a recording telling you why they were ringing, and instructions on how to remove your number from their list). Does a number ever get displayed (ie. after a few seconds)? What's listed in the call log on the phone?

Your phone provider should be able to help track the source down if it is causing an issue.

Cheers, that makes sense. No number ever gets displayed or in the log. The calls seemed to have stopped today so hopefully that's the last of it.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2008, 17:14   #8
JConway
Est 2001. Recyled in 2003

I received a couple of these calls over the weekend.
The phone rings and the display shows "Diverted Call", when i answered there was no one there.
JConway is offline   Reply With Quote