Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 28-08-2008, 20:29   #1
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Disney announces Platinum Editions Blu-Ray!

That's my Christmas list sorted then...

Quote:
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Announces Expansive Slate of Upcoming
PLATINUM EDITIONS

Pinocchio * Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs *
Fantasia * Fantasia 2000 * Beauty and the Beast
Each Available For the first time on Blu-rayTM Hi-Def

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Launching Disney’s New
BD Live Network - Worldwide – Fall 2009!

Berlin, Germany, August 28, 2008—Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) proudly unveils five additions to the celebrated Platinum Collection of animated features to be released on DVD and for the first time ever on Disney Blu-ray Hi-Def. These include some of Disney’s most beloved classics Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Fantasia 2000 and Beauty and the Beast. Each will be available for a limited time only, in new multi-disc sets featuring rarely seen footage and an array of new bonus features.

Fittingly the one that started it all for Walt Disney, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first feature length animated film ever made, will be the title that will mark a new era in home entertainment around the world, launching Disney’s worldwide BD-Live Network, a revolutionary technological breakthrough in home entertainment that will connect family and friends, allowing unprecedented interactivity and ease, from anywhere in the world.

Disney’s BD-Live Network will be initially launched in the U.S. only, with the first Platinum Edition Blu-ray release, Sleeping Beauty 50th Anniversary Platinum Edition, available on October 7, 2008.

Bob Chapek, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Worldwide President, commented, ”We are excited to announce a magical slate of Platinum titles for the first time on Blu-ray high definition, this celebrated collection of animated features demonstrates Disney’s commitment to deliver great content.”

“The landscape for the Blu-ray format is very healthy, and we believe that the enhanced movie experiences that the format provides, such as Disney’s BD-Live network, offer consumers the chance to reinvent the experience of watching movies in their homes, and the interactivity and connectivity that is being provided will truly make the family room relevant again,” continues Mr. Chapek.

Gordon Ho is Executive Vice President of Marketing and Business Development for Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) adds, “Disney’s BD-Live experience will enrich and deepen the overall consumer experience, and we are delighted that, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be the one that will launch Disney’s BD-Live network worldwide.”

The Platinum release roll-out will be:

Pinocchio, the beloved story of a wooden puppet who wants to become a real boy, comes to Platinum Edition DVD and Disney Blu-ray in spring 2009. Disney's second full-length animated movie, Pinocchio won two Oscars®, one for Best Score and another for the unforgettable song "When You Wish upon a Star.” It returns for the first time since 2002.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, honored with a special Academy Award® for screen innovation this movie has been unavailable since 2001. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition will be released in the fall of 2009.

Walt Disney’s experimental masterpiece Fantasia won two honorary Oscars for its innovative use of animation and music. Most recently released in 2000, the restored and remastered Fantasia Platinum Edition will be available in 2010. Alongside this release, a newly restored and remastered Fantasia 2000 Platinum Edition, will be available. Fantasia 2000 begins where its predecessor, Fantasia, left off, with seven completely new segments and the return of the popular “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”, featuring breathtaking images coupled with classical music favorites.

In conjunction with these releases, Destino, the unfinished animated feature film created by Walt Disney and famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali will release. Begun in 1946, it was rediscovered in 2003 and completed by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney. The collaboration between these two legendary artists will be available to own for the first time along with an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney.

Beauty and the Beast, the only animated film ever nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Picture, earned a breathtaking six Academy Award® nominations and won two Oscars®. Beauty in the Beast Platinum Edition will be available in fall 2010.
Old 28-08-2008, 20:35   #2
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
That's my Christmas list sorted then...
for 2009 and 2010
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 23:04   #3
Cockeye
Banned

No Lion King
Cockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 01:42   #4
camaj
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
No Lion King
See this

I imagine that The Lion King and 101 Dalmations will be after the 5 listed.

Mr Majestik, can you list the release dates at the top of your original post for reference, please?

I only own 1 disney DVD (Peter Pan), that I've never even watched! I did plan on buying all the ones I liked on DVD but I'm kind of glad I didn't.

Finding Nemo is scheduled for 2009 too.
camaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 19:47   #5
jroadley
Trusted User

Just to confirm, Sleeping Beauty is region coded.
Old 03-10-2008, 20:10   #6
Space Duck
Trusted User

I got SB on the way... it's quite strange I'm 27 and kinda giddy about its arrival
Space Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 18:30   #7
camaj
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Duck View Post
I got SB on the way... it's quite strange I'm 27 and kinda giddy about its arrival
Nothing immature about appreciating art.

Take a look at this screenshot comparison thread at AVS. I have to say the platinum DVD looks very good, especially in the live action part but the BD is crystal clear in the animated sections
Old 13-10-2008, 18:44   #8
jroadley
Trusted User

Old 13-10-2008, 19:42   #9
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
Just to confirm, Sleeping Beauty is region coded.
Damn! I've no idea which way to jump now. The cheaper software on a US machine or the convenience of a UK machine
Old 13-10-2008, 20:04   #10
jroadley
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
Damn! I've no idea which way to jump now. The cheaper software on a US machine or the convenience of a UK machine
To be honest, there isn't much price difference between UK and US releases now...
Old 13-10-2008, 22:08   #11
Psycho
Trusted User

Is Sleeping Beauty the only Blu-Ray released so far?

Will these come out in the UK?

I've never had any Disney animated films on DVD and wouldn't mind getting the following on Blu-Ray:

Snow White
Pinocchio
Dumbo
Bambi
Cinderella
Alice In Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Sword in the Stone
The Jungle Book
The Aristocats
Robin Hood

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 01:14   #12
camaj
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Is Sleeping Beauty the only Blu-Ray released so far?
Yes, it says so in the third paragraph of the first post! It's pretty inevitable that it'll come out over here, it's a question of when (Oct 27th as it happens).

Quote:
To be honest, there isn't much price difference between UK and US releases now..
I know, strange that!

Really price is not why importing is better, it's usually because there's a better choice of titles and earlier release dates in the US. I'm not sure how it's more convenient to buy in the UK, you don't have to wait for the order to be delivered if you buy in a shop, but you still have to wait for it to be released here.
Old 14-10-2008, 08:42   #13
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Price, cuts and choice of titles are all key factors in me going Blu (as in US or UK machine).

I guess it will be a lot easier to sell on or part exchange a UK release.

Last edited by Ste7en; 14-10-2008 at 08:42.
Ste7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 09:22   #14
LordoftheDance
Neurotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
Price, cuts and choice of titles are all key factors in me going Blu (as in US or UK machine).

I guess it will be a lot easier to sell on or part exchange a UK release.
Price not so important to me, as if I want it, I'll get it regardless (eventually), but choice and censorship are very important.

So far I've been lucky in that all the films I've wanted in high-def are available as region free or Region B (mine is a UK PS3).

The only 2 I can think of that aren't available yet that I really want are Mr Brooks and Man on Fire.

For the Americans, I know there's a lot of them that want the new Night of the Living Dead Optimum release, but can't as it's Region B only. Ha - suckers! Just kidding. It's really annoying that not everything is region free....
LordoftheDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 09:37   #15
Cha
Wallflower

I know this isn't strictly on the topic of Disney's Platinum releases, but did they not tell us we'd be getting Finding Nemo by now in a press release last year?
Old 18-10-2008, 08:59   #16
jroadley
Trusted User

DVD Times have posted info on USBD of Pinnochio:

I think we have to assume it will be Region locked as per Sleeping Beauty...

Quote:
Disc 1: Main Feature

# 1080P 1.33:1 Full Screen
# Up to 7.1 HD Sound
# Cine Explore – No specifics have been provided but we expect this to feature the following content from the DVD (and probably more):
-- Pinocchio’s Matter of Facts - - Learn fun facts about Pinocchio and other related subjects as you watch the movie.
-- Audio Commentary -- An all-new audio commentary with Leonard Maltin, Eric Goldberg and J. B. Kaufman.
-- Disney Song Selection -- Select this option to sing along with favorite songs as the lyrics appear onscreen.
# Disney BD-Live Network – The Disney BD-Live Network is just one of the many ways movie lovers, families, and loved ones can continue to stay connected and engage in their favorite movies.
-- Movie Chat – Communicate with your remote friends on-screen while in a synchronized viewing party using your remote control or any text enabled device such as a laptop, desk top or any PDA device such as a Blackberry, iPhone or most other regular cell phones. Your chat session will appear over the movie and occur in real-time while watching the movie together.
-- Movie Mail – Blu-ray owners will be able to record a personalized video message of themselves, superimpose that capture onto one of many pre-selected clips of the movie, and send it off to a friend, colleague, or relative. This specific feature enables Pinocchio Blu-ray Disc owner to personalize a very special greeting as never before.
-- Movie Challenge – Users will be able to test their skills against other players in a synchronized, real-time, online trivia game while watching Pinocchio with anyone online. Movie Challenge is always active no matter what time of the day it is, and there will always be a game in progress.
-- Disney Movie Rewards Live – Pinocchio Blu-ray owners will be able to accumulate Disney Movie Reward Points by participating in many Disney BD-Live Network activities. In return, viewers can redeem points for exclusive content such as Avatars, downloadable extras and many more exciting possibilities.

Disc 2: Extra Features
# BD Exclusive: Pinocchio Knows Trivia Challenge
# No Strings Attached: The Making of Pinocchio - - Witness the behind-the scenes magic that transformed Carlo Collodi’s popular book into a classic animated film.
# Deleted Scenes --
-- The Story of the Grandfather Tree - - Kindly Geppetto tells Pinocchio about the Great Pine Tree from which Pinocchio is descended.
-- In The Belly Of The Whale - - The most elaborate of Pinocchio’s deleted scenes that remain in the Disney Archives, these recently discovered storyboards reveal a different version of Geppetto inside Monstro.
# Alternate Ending - - A recently uncovered set of small storyboard panels reveal plans for a different version of Pinocchio becoming a real boy.
# The Sweat Box - - The Sweatbox was a small projection room at the Disney studio where Walt critiqued story reels, rough animation, and dailies of films in progress with his anxious artists. This piece traces the history of the Sweatbox and brings to life this important part of Walt Disney’s artistic process.
# Live Action Reference Footage
# Pinocchio Art Galleries
# Deleted Songs - - An audio collection of period “pop” recordings of songs that not used in the final film.
# Pinocchio Puzzles - - Hosted by Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio’s Puzzles is a multi-tiered Puzzle game that contains six unique wooden puzzles for the viewer to assemble. Each puzzle forms an image from the film that comes to life once they are complete.

Last edited by jroadley; 18-10-2008 at 09:00.
jroadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 09:07   #17
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post
Nothing immature about appreciating art.

Take a look at this screenshot comparison thread at AVS. I have to say the platinum DVD looks very good, especially in the live action part but the BD is crystal clear in the animated sections
that is impressive and sets the benchmark for future releases if that is the consistent quality throughout the film...

Last edited by Spooky_uk; 20-10-2008 at 09:20.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 12:10   #18
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Sleeping Beauty poped through my letter box this morning. Had a quick gander and the picture quality is stunning.
Old 25-10-2008, 19:20   #19
dennisspooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
Sleeping Beauty poped through my letter box this morning. Had a quick gander and the picture quality is stunning.
Looks like Disney will be launching a replacement program soon as the dvd version of the film supplied with the Bluray has been incorrectly mastered in 4:3 letterbox instead of the anamorphic 16:9 as printed on the box

The menus are fine but the feature itself is messed up

Last edited by dennisspooner; 25-10-2008 at 19:20.
dennisspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 13:54   #20
zenza
Trusted User

Is Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations being planned for release?

My fav disney titles are: Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations and Jungle Book.
zenza is offline   Reply With Quote