Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 15:18   #1
zenza
Trusted User

The General Comics and Graphic Novels Thread

Last one closes so opening a new one.

I am currently reading the Panini Pocket book versions of X-Men and they are brilliant.

Have also got Iron Man and Spider-Man so will start on them once I finish X-Men.

I would recommend them to anyone who wants to start with X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk etc from their origins.
Old 05-08-2008, 16:07   #2
Marts62
Boo!

Bit late now... ... now that I've spent a wee fortune on the omnibusses.
Old 05-08-2008, 16:23   #3
AKPiggott
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Need to read some more graphic novels. The Dark Knight's got me in the mood to dig up some more Bat-history. Already got Year One, the Dark Knight Returns and the Killing Joke. Am thinking of checking out the Long Halloween and Arkham Asylum. Any more Bat-essentials?
Old 05-08-2008, 16:43   #4
MrHat001
Steppin' Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPiggott View Post
Need to read some more graphic novels. The Dark Knight's got me in the mood to dig up some more Bat-history. Already got Year One, the Dark Knight Returns and the Killing Joke. Am thinking of checking out the Long Halloween and Arkham Asylum. Any more Bat-essentials?
I'd certainly finish those before deciding what other ones to go for.

But if you like Long Halloween then I'd recommend Dark Victory.
And if you like Dark Knight Returns then give Dark Knight Strikes again a try (altho it's not quite as good).

Hush Vol1&2 are rather good but as mentioned in the last thread require a little bit of knowledge of the Bat universe to fully understand.
Old 05-08-2008, 16:52   #5
zenza
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marts62 View Post
Bit late now... ... now that I've spent a wee fortune on the omnibusses.
I couldn't justify spending 60 odd quid on the omnibuses given that you can get the pocket books for around £3.99 each.
Old 05-08-2008, 16:55   #6
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

The Dark Knight Strikes Again + Returns arrived today. Just waiting for Year One to pop through in the post
Old 05-08-2008, 17:54   #7
AKPiggott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHat001 View Post
I'd certainly finish those before deciding what other ones to go for.

But if you like Long Halloween then I'd recommend Dark Victory.
And if you like Dark Knight Returns then give Dark Knight Strikes again a try (altho it's not quite as good).

Hush Vol1&2 are rather good but as mentioned in the last thread require a little bit of knowledge of the Bat universe to fully understand.
Thanks for the recommendations/advice. I'll tackle those two as planned first and take it from there.

Wasn't overly keen on TDKR, I thought it lost it's way a bit towards the end so I'll give TDKSA a miss I think. I did read TDKR in one sitting though, so maybe it was just too much to take it. Will re-read it again at some point.

[edit: Bah! Quick look on Amazon suggests the Long Halloween is OOP.]

Last edited by AKPiggott; 05-08-2008 at 17:56.
Old 05-08-2008, 18:07   #8
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
There is an IGN feature here listing the 25 greatest Batman graphic novels which might be of some help to you.

Last edited by Steve Jackson; 05-08-2008 at 18:07.
Old 05-08-2008, 18:17   #9
J Wedd
Trusted User

I've just read Dark Knight Strikes Again after living with the first one since I was a kid, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The tone is completely different, more irreverent, and the scope is larger, going beyond Batman to give Superman as much coverage. I also really dig Miller's art, though its a pity he didn't hook up with Klaus Janson again, because he really is the balls.
Personally don't like Arkham Asylum, I found it embarrassingly pretentious- which isn't always bad, but its pretty adolescent with it.
Also been acquiring the OOP Moebius albums off ebay, including The Incal, which is amazing. Initially got the more recent one with the horrible updated colouring, but the Epic editions are the ones to go for.
Not long read Enki Bilal's Nikopol Trilogy, and it is hands down one of the best comics I've ever read.
Old 05-08-2008, 19:34   #10
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Quote:
Death in the family followed by Lonely Place of Dying

Both great books and imho what really set Batman up as he is now

you could then also get the 3 early Robin Trades and follow up with the Bane sage

That should give you a great chunk of stories

After that how about Contagian and Legacy - by no means the greatest stories but there is just something about them that makes them among my most read trades

You could chose to get hold of the Cataclysm and No Mans Land books - its just a shame there is so many of them - much prefer it if they would release one HUGE set of these

From there go with Evolution then the Bruce Wayne Murderer and Fugitive books

After that you can pick and choose but would say go for HUSH
Old 05-08-2008, 20:24   #11
Questor
Pharmatron

I really liked Hush - got the absolute edition and it's lovely

I've just got into Sandman (thanks to cheap-ish absolute editions) and I'm absolutely loving it - the art style's brilliant and the story so far (up to 45) is really engaging
Old 05-08-2008, 20:35   #12
AKPiggott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
There is an IGN feature here listing the 25 greatest Batman graphic novels which might be of some help to you.
Ooh, cheers for that. I think I actually saw that link ages ago but I doubt I would've found it again if I tried. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Death in the family followed by Lonely Place of Dying

Both great books and imho what really set Batman up as he is now

you could then also get the 3 early Robin Trades and follow up with the Bane sage

That should give you a great chunk of stories

After that how about Contagian and Legacy - by no means the greatest stories but there is just something about them that makes them among my most read trades

You could chose to get hold of the Cataclysm and No Mans Land books - its just a shame there is so many of them - much prefer it if they would release one HUGE set of these

From there go with Evolution then the Bruce Wayne Murderer and Fugitive books

After that you can pick and choose but would say go for HUSH
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I've never even heard of most of those books, there's a wealth of stuff out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Is that the two volumes in one? I've only ever seen them seperately. It's another one I'd like to read.

Also, does anyone know if the Long Halloween will be back in print soon? I've found an expensive hardback edition and an ultimate edition up for pre-order on both FP and Amazon with a couple of action figures but I'm only interested in just the paperback book.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:44   #13
new
Sand Dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post

I've just got into Sandman (thanks to cheap-ish absolute editions) and I'm absolutely loving it - the art style's brilliant and the story so far (up to 45) is really engaging
Just managed to get a very cheap 2nd hand (but looks mint) vol1 Absolute Sandman, & I now HAVE to get the other 3 volumes

Quote:
to you Steve, now I have read that I've got to increase my Batman collection - again!

Last edited by new; 06-08-2008 at 05:46.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:01   #14
Marts62
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenza View Post
I couldn't justify spending 60 odd quid on the omnibuses given that you can get the pocket books for around £3.99 each.

I couldn't justify £60 either, but if you shop around, they can be had for much less (£30-35) AND I'm looking at them as my retirement fund (just try to get Alias Omnibus on the cheap these days!).
Old 06-08-2008, 07:23   #15
new
Sand Dab

Quote:

I am currently reading the Panini Pocket book versions of X-Men and they are brilliant.

Have also got Iron Man and Spider-Man so will start on them once I finish X-Men.

I would recommend them to anyone who wants to start with X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk etc from their origins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marts62 View Post
Bit late now... ... now that I've spent a wee fortune on the omnibuses.
Got any links to the panini's & the omnibuses versions?
I take it the omnibuses ones are Marvels version of DC's Absolute versions?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:33   #16
Marts62
Boo!

Marvel Omnibii

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ibus&x=10&y=21

Oh, the affiliate linky didn't work like it usually does.

Last edited by Marts62; 06-08-2008 at 07:44.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:12   #17
ChrisHunt
GT:Chunty PSN: Chunty1983

Quote:
Last one closes so opening a new one.

I would also recommend the panini pocket books. Only have the X-men ones (bought the first five last year to read on holiday) but they are a great cheap way to read early stories in color.
Old 06-08-2008, 17:58   #18
zenza
Trusted User

Yep definitely, I prefer them to Essentials as they are in colour and the small book size is ideal to read them on the train or on a journey.
Old 06-08-2008, 20:11   #19
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Got any links to the panini's & the omnibuses versions?
I'd appreciate some links and recommendations for some upcoming holiday reading too, please.
Old 06-08-2008, 20:22   #20
ajr90
Gamertag: Holden Carver

Quote:
Some comments on the list:

* Can't argue with the top five
* Hush has no business being anywhere near the top ten, I'm sorry.
* Actually, I can argue with the top five - Son of the Demon should bump Long Halloween off.
* A Death in the Family is listed a bit high, I think. Sure, the event is significant, but the book itself isn't that great.
* Re: JLA, Tower of Babel. It's a Morrison book, so it is, of course, awesome. But don't buy it! I understand DC are doing new collections of Morrison's JLA run, so wait for that instead.

All things considered, it's actually a pretty good list. Hush aside.
Closed Thread