Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 24-06-2008, 10:24   #1
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 1,195 Times in 458 Posts
Question 1970's Children's TV - "The Changes" - electricity pylons & machines take over !

WOW ! Does anyone remember this from the 1970's ?? You'll remember the electricity pylons above all else !

I really used to love this show, and it still pops into my mind now & then - sort of a bleak, post-apocalypitic feel about the whole thing, with lots of displaced people and machines freaking out.

Did anyone catch the supposed repeats on UK Gold during the 1990's ? I had no idea what this used to be called, so had difficulty googling (cannot even search here on dvdf as "changes" is too common a word !) Is it worth a watch nowadays, or is it just too dated ? Anyone remember how it ends ?

LOADS of spoilerific info here - http://www.bilderberg.org/changes.htm and here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Changes_(TV_series) and here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/changes/intro.shtml
Quote:
The Changes was a BBC children's TV series first broadcast early in 1975. The enduring image for me is of menacing power pylons that emit an unbearable penetrating sound; the noise. All over England the noise is compelling people to destroy cars, televisions; in fact everything technological.

After The Changes even the words for all these creations of the modern age; 'car', 'tractor', 'electricity', 'toaster', 'pylon', etc. have become taboo. Just to mention them brings on the noise and the uncontrollable anger against machines again. These items of modern technology are described by people, including the central character Nicky, as cursed.

The series was intriguingly prophetic given the 1990's phenomenon of civil disobedience against road-making machinery, power pylons and similar forms of environmental direct action. And it drew an distinction between sustainable and non-sustainable practices before the word was invented.

At one point the main character in the series, Nicky Gore ... finds herself alone in an abandoned city where she has to scavenge for food and drink to survive. She keeps her spirits up and, with companions along the way, embarks on a dangerous journey to discover what has caused the changes.

Last edited by driver8; 24-06-2008 at 10:27.
driver8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 12:57   #2
KRW
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Damn, I remember being scared of this when I was little, at a scene where a little girl is 'fed' into a pylon or something. I never thought anyone else would remember it, or thought I must have dreamt it or something.
KRW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:21   #3
Ricinus
Trusted User

I was reminded of this when a program last week (Countryfile I think) featured Pylon Spotters.
I suppose it's different from train spotting. You have to go and find the pylons in the countryside.
Ricinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:51   #4
ian turner
Trusted User

It ends with Nicky finding why everyone has turned against machines and towards magic of course and stops it (this is hardly a revelation since thats what it says in the wiki entry). Avoids the drug references from the books and sort of changes one of the characters who is responsible. It being an amalgamation of The Weathermonger, Heartsease and The Devils Children by Peter Dickinson (my he's written a lot of books)
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 07:38   #5
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 1,195 Times in 458 Posts
yes, it really was some powerful TV, certainly stayed with me for over 30yrs !

made electric pylons seem spooky, in a similar way to Hitchcock's Birds made you look twice at every crow !

there's a fantastic pictorial of the whole 10 episodes here, with screengrabs from UKGold, as I don't think I'll ever be watching it again - http://www.thechestnut.com/changes-1.htm

one surprising thing is, although I'm pretty sure I saw the whole series, I don't specifically remember the Indian family at all - I would have thought it would have been unusual back in the '70's for their roles to be so central. (Maybe not ?) Certainly where I lived there were no Seikh's.

I do remember losing interest part way through the series, and that the ending was a bit poor (without recalling the rock at all !)

And as someone mentioned on one of the sites, this show might have been better scheduled following Tomorrow's World or TOTP, rather than being followed by Paddington Bear !
driver8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 10:30   #6
KRW
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

That's it! I've actually wondered about that for simply years. Its one of those programmes that I must have seen when I was too young to understand it, but it scared me enough that I still vividly remember it.
KRW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 14:23   #7
omega man
Snr Bod.

remember this. in someways 'The Happening' reminded me of this.