Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Gaming Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 19-06-2008, 09:59   #1
smst
Out of the water

Metal Gear Solid (not MGS4)

When Metal Gear Solid was re-released on the Gamecube as The Twin Snakes, I bought it straight away having never played MGS. I really wanted to like it, but after a few days of several-hour frustrations I gave up. With MGS4 now released I'm considering picking up MGS again cheaply and giving it a try.

Since people rave about the MGS series and I didn't enjoy it at all, I'm wondering if I was doing something wrong; I'm hoping for some advice here. Did I play it wrong? Was I just bad at it? Can somebody give me some tips?

(When I played I got to about the 5th room; I won't use spoiler tags since everything I'll mention is so early in the game.)

I spent hours trying to get out of the first room. I invariably set off the alarm and usually lost a fight with a guard. The only way I found to get through was to sprint for the elevator when the alarm went off and, if I was lucky, I'd get there and be free. Instinctively I feel that was the wrong solution, and there was an elegant sneaky way through that I could never pull off.

Similarly I found it very hard to get into the building through the snow (I did find the crawlway but it didn't seem to benefit me much), and to get to the elevator in the next room. I know the game requires skill, but to spend so many hours on the first three rooms makes me think I was doing something very wrong.

Finally I got to a prison cell and ended up in a huge gunfight, which I did pretty badly in (wasted a lot of ammo). At that point I couldn't work out where to go next and the game gathered dust. I'm not one for quitting games and I always had the feeling that there was a brilliant game in MGS that I just couldn't see. Can somebody stand up for the game and (this sounds a bit weird) advise me how to enjoy it? If I can be convinced then I'll look out for a cheap PAL GC copy to replace my NTSC version.

Thanks!
smst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 10:06   #2
GAmbrose
Trusted User

They trade for Ł30 on eBay so I wouldn't expect to find a cheap one...

But interestingly enough I am playing through Twin Snakes again at the moment, and it has dated quite badly in the respect that you can't bloody see where your enemies are half the time due to the top down perspective (You can change to first person, but it's fiddly) so avoiding them becomes a lot harder than it should be.

I remember breezing through this on the Playstation when it came out, but this one seems harder. I think it's because it incorporates the Metal Gear Solid 2 a.i and backup system, so when you set an alarm off theres an endless stream of guards and some of the levels make it very hard to hide from them if you get detected.

I just wanted to remind myself of the story really (Though balls to playing MGS2 again) before starting on MGS4.

Gary A

Last edited by maddogsuk; 19-06-2008 at 10:12. Reason: Please remeber the affiliates
GAmbrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 10:30   #3
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

I loved MGS on the Playstation - played that and the additional VR missions disc to death.

Took me ages to find a decently priced copy of The Twin Snakes and I think I've played all of about 5 minutes of it!
MetalGearAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 11:00   #4
GAmbrose
Trusted User

It's exactly the same with the addition of better graphics/cutscenes and MGS2's additional features.

Gary A
Old 19-06-2008, 11:22   #5
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

So not exactly the same at all then

Last edited by MetalGearAl; 19-06-2008 at 11:22.
MetalGearAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 12:01   #6
anephric
Kidney Thief

Well, and you have to get used to the slightly funky controls on a GC pad.
Old 19-06-2008, 12:02   #7
mr_woo
Gamertag: Al Benicio

Twin Snakes is interesting and not too bad at all but the original PS MGS is by far the best version of the game. My main complaint was that whilst enjoyable the cutscenes were far too overblown in Twin Snakes. Snake's not really an over the top character and they really did feel out of place in the game. They also redid the voices which I didn't like so much, I always liked Mei Lings chinese accent in the PS version and they removed that in the Twin Snakes version and MGS4 (admittedly it makes more sense as shes chinese american but i just liked her voice in the original more)

Last edited by mr_woo; 19-06-2008 at 12:03.
mr_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 12:16   #8
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Did they? Gamefaqs indicates that they didn't.

Gary A
Old 19-06-2008, 12:20   #9
anephric
Kidney Thief

There's some Nintendo-specific fun to be had in Twin Snakes, too.
Old 19-06-2008, 13:25   #10
James45
Trusted User

A secret Mario assasination mission?!
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 13:34   #11
Savagexii
Trusted User

Action in this game can be really fiddly when you're spotted, so the best way to enjoy it is to take a considered approach and use the map with the enemy field of view cones to plot your way past them. When you start passing through areas without alerting anyone you get alot of satisfaction. Don't forget that if you're having problems with a particular corridor/enemy who keeps spotting you, perhaps try to take them out by getting them in a choke hold before they have time to react, this gives you some room to breath and less problems to deal with, unless another enemy regularly patrols that same corridor.

Snow levels open up some tactical possibilities in that you can lure enemies into secluded areas by leaving footprints for them to find and follow. Don't be afriad to explore a bit too, Chaff grenades come in real handy when a camera is blocking your path, and are usually left in awkward spots, but well worth the work needed to procure them as they can essentially allow for you to leg it through entire rooms without worrying about being seen by cameras.

Also if you find yourself stuck at a particular puzzle/room, give the codec a try and contact people on your codec list, they sometimes reveal tactics after you give them a few calls.

I hope you get around to liking the game though, it's always been one of my all time favourite games, which is amazing really when at the same time it can occasionally be one of the more frustrating games to boot.
Old 19-06-2008, 14:22   #12
smst
Out of the water

Thanks for that. The way you've described it is as I'd always imagined it -- like a puzzle game where one must work out the right way to proceed quietly through each room. I guess I must have just sucked at it! I seem to recall that in the first room one must wait for the elevator to come down before one can get out, so I probably spent a lot of time wandering around (getting caught) trying to work out what to do next. I did get out eventually, but the experience was frustrating enough to turn me against the game a bit, I think. And while I appreciate the cinematic nature of the game, the huge number of cutscenes early on made it hard to get stuck in.

I really want to get hold of a copy now. (All of my Gamecube games are NTSC so they won't play on my PAL Wii; I never did get around to trading them with NTSC Wii owners.)
smst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 17:42   #13
LCD-Killer
or Timmah

It's well worth the effort. It is quite tricky and requires a very different approach to your average 3rd person affair. You really need to take your time, pick your moments to move and generally play it as though you're doing it for real.

In Snake's position I'd think long and hard before making a dash past several guards when all I've got to defend myself is a pack of fags and a cardboard box. Which I guess is exactly what Kojima wanted you to feel.

If it's any consolation I'm rubbish at it, but still played it and the sequel through to completion. I'm on the look out for a cheap PS2 so I can catch up on MGS3 before splashing out stupid money to play the 4th game.
LCD-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 18:26   #14
GAmbrose
Trusted User

I had to laugh at the end cutscene of the game where Naomi is banging on about making sure we live life.

A single player video game (inherantly anti-social) telling you to do that is ridiculous.

Gary A