Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 19-02-2008, 10:43   #1
ohood
Isn't it?

[BBC3] Being Human

Did anyone else catch this?

I was pleasantly surprised, due to the advertising making it look like a sub-Buffy comedy-fest (imo).

It was actually much darker than I was expecting (tones of Ultraviolet in places), with a half-decent cast.

The ghost / vampire / werewolf dynamic was a fun mix, there were even some 'rules' regarding what could and couldn't happen.

The vampire guy seemed to be channelling one of the McGann brothers and the werewolf transform was a slightly less well done version of the American Werewolf in London, but it wasn't half-bad considering it was a pilot. I hope it gets picked up as I thought it had 'legs'.

BBC Site.

Last edited by ohood; 19-02-2008 at 10:44.
ohood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:09   #2
Alan b

Thanked 1,197 Times in 543 Posts
I saw this and it wasn't to bad at all. Having the ghost as part of the storyline didn't work for me as I found her quite annoying and also she appeared to be able to do everything a normal human could. The ending did remind me a little bit of Ultraviolet and I was quite looking forward to seeing the next episode as I hadn't realised it was a one off at the time.

Last edited by Alan b; 25-04-2008 at 20:44.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 21:50   #3
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I thought it was very good, if anything it reminded me of Buffy with the vampire he sired feeling like a pure evil vampire ala Spike['s missus, whatever she was called.

Anyone know what the figures were for it yet as it showed far more promise than the rubbish we'[ve got at the moment ie primeval and torchwood.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 22:03   #4
Scottola
Plok!tastic

My wife and I watched it tonight, I wasn't really paying attention at the start (Lego Stars DS, ahem), but it drew me in. The opening werewolf transformation seemed like a nice American Werewolf in London homage, if my memory serves me right and if it doesn't it was like all other werewolf transformations

I found the characters likeable, and although the ghost (who's name escapes me) was initially a little grating, I warmed to her quite quickly.

The tone was great and different to anything else out there at the moment, it seemed more 'grown up' than Buffy or maybe just less American, which was refreshing.

Like Alan b, we were searching for the next episode and were dismayed to discover it was a one off.
Old 20-02-2008, 06:59   #5
desm52
Trusted User

I enjoyed it a lot, really hope they pick it up for a full series. The BBC3 dog was horrible though, the colour is really intrusive.
desm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:05   #6
darrin
Freelance Astronaut

Much stronger effort than Phoo Action last week, hope it gets commisioned. Also nice to see Adrian Lester keeping busy after Hustle.
darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 18:23   #7
MrHat001
Steppin' Razor

Caught this via iPlayer today and rather enjoyed it.
Only sticking point for me was having a ghost that can move objects, leave the place they're supposed to be haunting and see/talk with anyone. That just seems a bit too daft (even for a werewolf/vampire show).

Hope it gets picked up as it hit the 'Ultraviolet' spot rather nicely.
MrHat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 22:19   #8
gourry
Captain

Watched this yesterday after my wife said how good it was. Really enjoyed it as I wasn't expecting much. The casting was perfect - particularly Adrian Lester.

Agree the ghost was a bit too human - would have been good to have shown some side effects for her actions at then end. But I think the idea was she was gaining strength from being noticed and around people who talked to her.

Would be nice to see more although I think sometimes things should be short and sweet

Xbox 360 Tag: pazu2006
gourry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 22:43   #9
goonerforever
Trusted User

I think the idea of the ghost being able to do stuff was the twist the show was trying to put on the old ghost mythology and it worked well imo. She was able to do those things as a result of people recognising and talking to her, so she became more human in a sort of way (which could be a subtle reference to the show's title)
goonerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 12:35   #10
tonytol
Trusted User

I don't think it's going to get picked up (by BBC3) as it's a bit too traditional and not edgy enough for BBC3. Phoo Action got comissioned before airing :/
tonytol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 13:00   #11
Andrew WK
Trusted User

It got a lot more viewers than Phoo Action which has already been commissioned so it would seem a little unfair if this doesn't get picked up too.
Old 28-02-2008, 08:52   #12
Preacher
He-man of the cloth

Only just got round to watching this last night and thought it was superb . A decent script, some great acting and it made you want to see more and learn more about the characters backgrounds etc. I found the description on what 'really' happens when you die ( i.e. the men at the end of a corridor waiting for you with ropes and sticks) pretty unnerving! Hope it gets a full series.

".......'Who run Bartertown?' "
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:01   #13
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I'm scared it wont, because it happens to be good, and show potential. I like the way the vampires refer to him and his little pet.

Last edited by cliff homewood; 28-02-2008 at 12:01.
Old 25-04-2008, 20:41   #14
Scottola
Plok!tastic

Nice to see that this has been given the go ahead for a series now. I'll look forwarding seeing where they take it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...rss&feed=media

Quote:
Being Human: Andrea Riseborough, Russell Tovey and Guy Flanaghan starred in the pilot

BBC3 controller Danny Cohen has ordered six more episodes of Being Human, the one-off drama pilot about a flatshare between a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire broadcast earlier this year.

Cohen has commissioned the full series of Being Human from independent producer Touchpaper Television, part of the RDF Media group, after the one-off episode was shown in February as part of the channel's drama pilot season and peaked at nearly 450,000 viewers.

Filming on the series, which will once again be written by Toby Whithouse, will start later this year for transmission in 2009.

The BBC said it would confirm casting at a later date. Russell Tovey, Andrea Riseborough and Guy Flanaghan starred in the pilot.

BBC Wales head of drama Julie Gardner, who was one of the show's executive producers, said: "BBC drama is always looking for diverse and surprising pieces, and Being Human hit the spot with its irreverence and wit."

Cohen added: "Of all our recent drama experiments on BBC3, Being Human struck the most powerful chord with the audience. At its heart is a bold and adventurous concept and I'm looking forward to seeing how this is realised across a series."

Last edited by Scottola; 25-04-2008 at 20:42.
Scottola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 20:46   #15
Alan b

Thanked 1,197 Times in 543 Posts
"The BBC said it would confirm casting at a later date"

I do hope that they get the same actors back that were in the pilot otherwise they might as well start from scratch.

Last edited by Alan b; 25-04-2008 at 21:40.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 20:59   #16
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Excellent news, but do agree that the same actors should be in it.
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 21:23   #17
ohood
Isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
Excellent news, but do agree that the same actors should be in it.
Indeed. I think it was quite a good mix in the pilot.
Old 07-01-2009, 15:40   #18
gourry
Captain

Noticed a trailer for this on BBC 3 yesterday as 'coming soon'. Looks like its going to get a regular series after all. Unfortunately, some of the actors have changed, although the werewolf is same actor (Russel Tovey I think).

Xbox 360 Tag: pazu2006

Last edited by gourry; 07-01-2009 at 15:41.
gourry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 16:14   #19
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Looking at the wikipedia page, I'm not holding out much hope for this ...

Quote:
Several cast changes have been made for the series, although Russell Tovey will return as George. Mitchell, originally portrayed by Guy Flanagan, will be played by Aidan Turner, and Annie will now be portrayed by Lenora Crichlow, rather than Andrea Riseborough. Jason Watkins will replace Adrian Lester as Herrick, a character which will be "more down-to-earth". The character of Lauren will also return, although Dominique McElligott has not been confirmed as reprising the role.

Producer Matthew Bouch has described the series as "less gothic and slightly more rooted" and "a bit funnier". The pilot has been shelved, and will not form part of the series' canon.
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 16:32   #20
cliff homewood
Trusted User

if it ain't broke, change it.

That's how the saying goes isn't it?