Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 06-05-2006, 10:44   #1
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Universal Monsters; 75th Anniversary releases, Karloff and Chaney Collections Sept.

Culled from the 'Scarlet Street' forums, below is a press release for a new book, plus a snippet near the end that will be of interest to fans of Universal's horror films:

MONSTERS
A Celebration of the Classics from Universal Studios Foreword by Forrest J. Ackerman

A full-color officially authorized retrospective book celebrating the classic monster films that have haunted audiences for decades!

Universal Studios ushered in the golden age of movies by introducing audiences to monsters on the silver screen. Now, from the studios themselves, comes a lavishly illustrated book that provides the crucial images and words behind these legendary films-plus heartfelt tributes from some of Hollywood's most famous fans including John Landis, Stephen Sommers, Rick Baker, and many more.

With beautiful on-screen and behind the scenes photos from the studio's vaults, this offcially authorized book will include these infamous Creature Features which continue to influence filmmakers to this day:
Dracula. Frankenstein. Bride of Frankenstein. The Mummy. The Wolf Man. The Invisible, Man. Creature from the Black Lagoon. Phantom of the Opera

A must-have book for both film and horror fans alike!

For more than 90 years, UNIVERSAL STUDIOS has been bringing unique entertain'ment experiences to millions of people around the world. Through their motion pictures, home videos, theme parks, television networks, and programming, they are in the business of thrills and chills as well as tears and laughter. And with their extensive library of legendary films they have set the standard for inspiring wonder and ultimately transforming moments into lasting memories.

FORREST J. ACKERMAN is a legend in the horror community, having edited 200 issues of the world's first film monster magazine, Famous Monsters or-Filmland. He's also famously known for creating the term "Sci-Fi:' He has personally known genre icons Boris Karloff, 'Peter Lorre, Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price, Elsa Lanchester, and Ray Harryhausen. Forry now lives in his Acker-mini-mansion in Hollywood where he still entertains fans weekly with his amazing collection of memorabilia and priceless stories of the origins of Horror art, filmmaking, literature, and all things fantastical.

MARKETING
. National feature coverage
. Radio interviews
. Convention advertising: World Horror Convention (5/06), Monster Bash (6/06), Horrorfind Weekend (8/06), Screamfest LA (10106)
. Print advertising: Scary Monster Magazine, Cemetery Dance magazine
. Online advertising: fi.lm web sites
. Cross-promotion with Universal Studios
. Feature on Movie, Horror, and book web site
OF NOTE Full-color throughout, including photos from the studio's vaults, as well as movie posters

A Del Rey Hardcover Category: Film 8'12" x 10'/8" 144 pages $29.95/$39.95C 0-345-48685-4 EAN:9780345486851 ON SALE SEPTEMBER 26

In September 2006, Universal Home Video will release a 75th anniversary DVD collection of the original Dracula and Frankenstein movies. In addition, they will release classic DVD collections of the Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney movie libraries.

The Universal Studios Monsters are trademarks and copyrights of Uniyersal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP.All rights reserved.

There's a 'groan' factor involved in re-releases of the Dracula and Frankenstein movies, though it is a little churlish to complain - it is the 75th anniversary after all - but Karloff and Chaney collections? Surely we are talking new, rather than recycled material here?

Last edited by John Hodson; 02-06-2006 at 14:02.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 13:32   #2
Spectre07
Trusted User

I find the book of immense interest I've been after a decent book on the Universal Monsters. I don't think I'll be buying the 75th Anni. re-releases, though I'll keep an eye on the Karloff/Chaney collections.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 15:18   #3
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

I'm pretty sure they won't just release the sets without some new features, since anyone who likes the films will already have the Legacy collections.

Unless....... HD? That would rock!

As for the Karloff, Chaney (Sr?) collections, there are plenty of films from these two that could use official releases, too many PD titles.
Old 06-05-2006, 15:41   #4
CrazyHorse
Trusted User

That book sounds excellent, a must buy for me.

While on the subject of Chaney, does anyone know anything about this forthcoming release...

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/...r.+Collection+
CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 16:02   #5
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Collection of low budget PD rubbish / kitsch gems (depending on your outlook) as described by DVD Drive-in thusly (and previously posted in the Upcoming thread):

On May 30, Retromedia and Image Entertainment will release “The Lon Chaney Collection.” One of the greatest horror icons of the 20th century, Lon Chaney, Jr. lit up the screen in a wide variety of performances in every type of role imaginable. Now, here is the ultimate collection of Chaney rarities, never before available on DVD! MANFISH: In this eerie tale inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart," treasure seekers, native curses and the hideous haunting sound of a dead man's breathing conspire to drive a killer insane. THE GOLDEN JUNKMAN: One of Lon's rarest and best portrayals as an aging Greek immigrant who enrolls in college to earn the respect of his grown sons. LOCK-UP: An excellent crime-mystery starring Macdonald Carey, with Lon as a small town sheriff determined to capture the killer of a straying wife. Special Bonus Feature: THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN, for the first time from a 35mm source! This Lon Chaney horror staple can finally be seen in a crisp, clear edition unlike any previous release. Throw away those budget editions; this is the real deal! Extras include "Remembering Lon" (a featurette with Gary Graver) and a Lon Chaney Still Gallery.

Last edited by John Hodson; 06-05-2006 at 16:05.
Old 06-05-2006, 16:24   #6
CrazyHorse
Trusted User

Thanks for that John. Think I'll wait for a review or two before I order that one.
CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 17:07   #7
corkbouy
Doesn't Like Mondays

And I'm still waiting on the proper R2 Dracula/Wolfman/Frankenstein etc Legacy Collections. ho-hum.
corkbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 13:33   #8
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

As reported in 'Upcoming':

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal
DVD Times on two R1 Universal releases for September: The Boris Karloff Collection and Inner Sanctum Mysteries Collection
Davis DVD has box art for the Karloff set on this page.
Old 07-06-2006, 19:47   #9
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

And art now added at those DVD Times links above.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:10   #10
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse
Thanks for that John. Think I'll wait for a review or two before I order that one.
Here's one, from DVD Drive-in.
Old 15-06-2006, 13:03   #11
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

I'm looking forward to both the Karloff and Chaney Jr. sets

For those who don't know the films included, I've written up brief notes on both sets here:

http://mondo-esoterica.net/upcoming%20DVD/karloff.html

http://mondo-esoterica.net/upcoming%20DVD/sanctum.html

Its a pity that there are no bonus features, there is loads of information about the films and plenty of background stories included in Tom Weaver's book 'Universal Horrors - The Studio's Classic Films, 1931-46', certainly enough for a 20 minute documentary on both sets.

edit: info on trailers now added for the Karloff collection.

Last edited by R-T-C; 16-06-2006 at 00:00.
R-T-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 13:14   #12
Brandt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
I find the book of immense interest I've been after a decent book on the Universal Monsters. I don't think I'll be buying the 75th Anni. re-releases, though I'll keep an eye on the Karloff/Chaney collections.

Spectre07 my wife got me this Amazon.co.uk for my birthday last year and although it has more than just the Universal Monsters in it I think you will still find it a excellent read
Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 16:22   #13
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt
Spectre07 my wife got me this Amazon.co.uk for my birthday last year and although it has more than just the Universal Monsters in it I think you will still find it a excellent read
I picked up this book: Universal Horrors: Studio's Classic Films, 1931-46

Its rather expensive, so only for the true fans, but has loads of information. Every horror film from the era plus many more (including the Rathbone Holmes films) has its own 2 - 6 page section with details of original scripts, production changes and notes on the actors/crew involved. Despite the academic look and feel, the sections are easy to read, and it is perfect as a reference work.

What is the 'gothic to cosmic' book like?

Last edited by R-T-C; 20-06-2006 at 16:23.
R-T-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2006, 17:34   #14
Brandt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C
I picked up this book: Universal Horrors: Studio's Classic Films, 1931-46

Its rather expensive, so only for the true fans, but has loads of information. Every horror film from the era plus many more (including the Rathbone Holmes films) has its own 2 - 6 page section with details of original scripts, production changes and notes on the actors/crew involved. Despite the academic look and feel, the sections are easy to read, and it is perfect as a reference work.

What is the 'gothic to cosmic' book like?
Hey R-T-C I'm not much of a book reviewer so if you go here
Amazon.com then those guys pretty much sum it up

That Universal Horrors: Studio's Classic Films, 1931-46 book sounds ace,I've put it in my wish list so my wife can get it me for Christmas

The MONSTERS book is on preorder at

Amazon.co.uk

for Ł14.63
Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 13:04   #15
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Times has the news, such as it is, on those 75th Anniversary releases:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of both a Dracula (75th Anniversary Edition) and Frankenstein (75th Anniversary Edition) for 26th September 2006. Priced at $26.98 SRP each the original monster classics starring Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff respectively are to receive the two-disc special edition treatment as part of Universal’s ‘Legacy Series’ line.

The main features will be presented in their original Full Frame aspect ratios with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles. Extras are TBC.

DVD Active adds: 'We are able to confirm that Dracula will include both the 1 hour 14 minute film, and the 1 hour 44 minute Spanish version'.

Sounds like the same old, same old to me...

Last edited by John Hodson; 06-07-2006 at 13:35.
Old 06-07-2006, 15:23   #16
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Sounds like the same old, same old to me...
With WB releasing a feature laden boxset (well, commentaries anyway) of horror films, all Universal can do is release some featureless collections, and re-issue films that are still available on perfectly good DVDs.
They seem to have lost their way recently...
Old 06-07-2006, 15:40   #17
tonytol
Trusted User

It does seem to be just a repackaging exercise away from the 'Van Helsing' style releases.
tonytol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:37   #18
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

DVD Times has updated at the link above to include the artwork; intriguingly it says 'all-new bonus materials'.

Uh-oh...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53   #19
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
DVD Times has updated at the link above to include the artwork; intriguingly it says 'all-new bonus materials'.
Well, since there is no 'behind the scenes footage' that we know of, it can only be a new documentary and commentary about the film - so nothing really worth having. Perhaps an extended interview with Stephen Sommers.....
Old 12-07-2006, 20:53   #20
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Specs updated and menus added at DVD Times:

Frankenstein (75th Anniversary Edition)

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.33:1 Full Frame
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French & Spanish subtitles
Karloff: The Gentle Monster
Monster Tracks
Audio Commentary with Rudy Behlmer
Audio Commentary with Historian Sir Christopher Frayling

Disc 2: Extra Features
Universal Horror
The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster
Frankenstein Archives
Boo! A Short Film
Theatrical Trailer

Dracula (75th Anniversary Edition)

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.33:1 Full Frame
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French & Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Historian David J. Skal
Audio Commentary with Steve Haberman, Screenwriter of “Dracula: Dead and Loving It”
Score by Philip Glass performed by The Kornos Quartet
Lugosi: The Dark Prince
The Road to Dracula
Monster Tracks

Disc 2: Extra Features
Dracula (1931) Spanish Version
Introduction to the Spanish Version by Lupita Tovar Kohner
Universal Horror
Poster Montage
Theatrical Trailer

BTW, we're assuming that this is Gentle Monster, this is Dark Prince, and, best of all, this is Universal Horror (already part of the big R2 box set). That Prof. Frayling - gets everywhere doesn't he?

Last edited by John Hodson; 12-07-2006 at 21:50.