Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 17-02-2006, 01:43   #1
kiran_mk2
Trusted User

The Definitive Studio Ghibli DVD Thread

There's been a lengthy thread about favourite films and multiple threads for each of the Ghibli releases so far, but in the next 2 months all of Studio Ghibli's works will have been released in multiple regions (R1, R2, R2J, R3, R4). My personal collection is fairly split between R1, R2 and R3HK, but seeing as I love all the films so much I don't mind rebuying the films if better versions exist.
The idea is that I'll write below the line what details I know. If you can correct or supply any details (esp NTSC-PAL conversion info and alt angle intro/outros) then post below and I'll update the list:
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English/Japanese audio (2.0) - subtitles and dubtitles. Disc 1 has the film, trailers, some Disney fluff and a Studio Ghibli documentary(dubbed). Disc 2 has the storyboards. The film has branching so if you choose English, you get the English credits and if you choose Japanese, you get the Japanese ones.
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0) audio and English subs and commentary track - unsubbed. Studio Ghibli feature and storyboards on disc 2.
R3K: direct equivalent of the Japanese version with Korean dub and subs.
R3HK: More muted colours than R2J/R3K. Thanks to Shingster for the R3 details.
R2/R4: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese / english (2.0) audio - subtitles and dubtitles. NTSC-PAL conversion. Studio Ghibli documentary (subbed). Storyboards on angle 2 - no alt intro as with R1. Trailers.

DVDBeaver link R1 appears most compressed. R2 offers the documentary undubbed, but has an NTSC-PAL conversion transfer.

Laputa: castle in the sky
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (Disney dub) (5.1)/Japanese (2.0)/French (2.0) - subtitles and dubtitles. Disc 1 contains the usual Disney fluff (John Lassiter intro and "behind the mike"), trailers and film with alt. intro/outro. Disc 2 contains the storyboards. Title drops the word Laputa.
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with English (Streamline dub) (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) - English subtitles. Disc 2 has trailers, storyboards and a textless intro/outro. LE contains 2 OST discs.
R2 (Buena Vista): Now deleted; 1.85 anamorphic with English (Disney dub) (5.1)/Japanese (2.0)/French (2.0) - dubtitles only, 8mins of storyboard, and trailers. Title drops the word Laputa.
R2 (Optimum): Same as R4 version.
R3HK: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0)/Cantonese (5.1/DTS) - English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards and trailers.
R4: 1.85 anamorphic with English (Disney dub) (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) - English subtitles and dubtitles. NTSC-PAL conversion. Textless intro/outro, storyboards, trailers. nb - bad layer change.

New English dub has rescored music by Joe Hisaishi.

DVDBeaver link

My neighbour Totoro
R1 (Fox): Pan/Scan, English only.
R1 (Buena Vista): Anamorphic (windowboxed) with Japanese (2.0)/English(2.0) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. Disc 1 has Behind the microphone feature, textless intro/outro and trailers. Disc 2 has complete storyboards.
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese(2.0)/English (old dub) (2.0) - Englsih dubtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards, 2xfeatures (making of and Ghibli museum), textless intro/outro and trailers.
R2: Anamorphic (windowboxed) with Japanese (2.0)/English(2.0) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. film-to-PAL conversion Has storyboards, textless intros/outros and trailers.
R3HK: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0)/Cantonese (2.0) - English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards and trailers. Initial release was on DVD5, but subsequent pressings were on DVD9 even though the case says DVD5.
R4: As R2.

Grave of the fireflies
R1CE: 1.78 anamorphic with English (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) - English subtitles. Disc 1 has storyboards as an alternate angle. Disc 2 has 3 DVNR doc, Then and now doc, interview with Roger Ebert, Historical Perspective, interview with Isao Takahata, deleted scenes, promo and trailers.
R2J: 1.78 anamorphic with English (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) - bad English subtitles. Making of and trailer
R2: same specs as R1CE - picture a bit softer. NTSC-PAL conversion.
R4: sames as R2

DVDBeaver link

Kiki's delivery service
R1: anamorphic 1.85 with English (5.1)/Japanese(5.1) - English subtitles and dubtitles. Disc 1 has the Disney fluff and trailers. Alternate angle intro/outro (English version has bad PQ). Disc 2 has storyboards). Slight sync problem with effects track.
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with English (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) dub - English dubtitles (from Streamline dub). Disc 2 has storyboards, trailers and Ursula's Painting feature.
R2 (Buena Vista): Now deleted 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese(5.1) - with English dubtitles (HOH). Storyboards in 4:3.
R2 (Optimum): Same as R4.
R3HK: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0)/Cantonese (5.1) - with English subtitles (from Streamline dub). Disc 2 has storyboards, Ursula's Painting and trailers. Initial release was on DVD5, but subsequent pressings were on DVD9 even though the case says DVD5.
R4: 1.85 Anamorphic with English (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. Storyboards, Ursula's Painting and trailers

DVDBeaver link

Only yesterday
R1: Not released
R2J: 1.85 Anamorphic with Japanese (2.0) dub with English subtitles. 2nd Disc has 46 min documentary (in Japanese with no English subs), storyboards and trailers.
R2: 1.85 Anamorphic (film-PAL) with Japanese (2.0) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. Storyboards, and making of.
R3: not certain - extras listed as storyboards, intro to Studio Ghibli (unsubbed) and trailers
R4: same as R2

Porco Rosso
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (2.0)/Japanese (2.0)/French (2.0) dubs - with English subtitles and dubtitles. Disc 1 has Disney fluff and an interview. Disc 2 has the storyboards. The French dub is Miyazaki's favourite.
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with English (old dub) (2.0)/Japanese (2.0)/French (2.0) dubs - with English subtitles. Storyboards, interview (unsubbed) and trailers.
R2: 1.85 anamophic with English (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) dubs - English subtltles and dubtitles. Storyboards, trailers and interview.
R3HK: 1.85 anamorphic (despite what Rewind thinks) with Japanese (2.0)/Cantonese (5.1/DTS) dubs - with English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards and trailers

Ocean Waves
R1 Not released
R2 Not released
R2J 1.85:1 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0) dub - English and Japanese subtitles, 50min Documentary. Disc 2 has storyboards and trailers
R3HK Unknown
R4 Not released

Pom Poko
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (2.0)/Japanese (2.0) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. Disc 2 has trailers and storyboards.
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0) dub - English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards, tanooki feature (unsubbed) and trailers.
R2: 1.85 anamorphic with English(2.0)/Japanese (2.0) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. NTSC-PAL conversion. Storyboards and trailers.
R3HK: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0)/Cantonese (5.1/DTS) dubs - English subtitles. Disc 2 has Storyboards and trailers.

Whisper of the heart
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. Behind the microphone feature. Disc 2 has trailers and storyboards.
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (5.1/2.0) dub - English subtitles(?). Trailers and storyboards.
R2: 1.85 anamorphic (film-PAL) with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - English subtitles and dubtitles. Trailers, storyboards and a feature about the Iblard artwork.
R3HK: 1.85 (anamorphic?) with Japanese (2.0)/Cantonese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles. Disc 2 features storyboards and trailers

Princess Mononoke
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles. Trailer and English dub feature. Alt angle intro/outro.
R2J: Disc 1 has 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (5.1/2.0)/English (5.1) dubs with English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards. Disc 3 is 1.85 anamorphic with internation dubs (2.0) and trailers.
R2 (Buena Vista): Deleted. 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English dubtitles. Same features as R1. Alt angle intro/outro.
R2 (Optimum): Not released (scheduled for 27/03) - probably the same as R4.
R3HK: unknown
R4: 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles and dubtitles. NTSC-PAL conversion. Storyboards and trailers.

DVDBeaver link

My neighbours the Yamadas
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) with English subtitles and dubtitles. Behind the microphone feature, trailers and static storyboards
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (5.1/2.0/DTS) dubs - English and French subtitles. Disc 2 has a feature containing one scene of animated storyboards and trailers and a menu-driven storyboard/Manga comparrison. 20 page booklet.
R2: 1.85 anamorphic (NTSC-PAL) with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) with English subtitles and dubtitles. Trailers and static storyboards
R3: not certain - probably storyboards and trailers

Spirited Away
R1: 2.00 anamorphic (1.85 windowboxed) with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles and dubtitles. Much less red-tint. Disney fluff, art of Spirited Away. Disc 2 has storyboards (10mins), trailers and Nippon TV special (subbed). Alt angle intro/outro
R2J: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0/DTSES) dub - with English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards and trailers. Has red tint.
R2: 2.00 anamorphic (1.85 windowboxed) with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) - with English subtitles. NTSC-PAL conversion. Disc 1 has storyboards. Disc 2 as R1.
R3HK: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0/DTSES)/Cantonese (2.0) - with English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards and making of (not subbed). Has red tint.
R4: 2.00 anamorphic (1.85 windowboxed) with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1/DTS) - with English subtitles and dubtitles. NTSC-PAL conversion. Disc 2 has 5 storyboards, notes, Nippon TV special, trailers 3xfeatures

R2/4 have bad PQ.

DVDBeaver link

The Cat Returns
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles and dubtitles. Behind the microphone, Making of, trailers. Disc 2 has storyboards.
R2J: Anamorphic 1.85 with Japanese (2.0/5.1/DTS) - with English subtitles. Ghiblies episode 2. Disc 2 has storyboards, making of, NTV special and trailers.
R2: 1.78 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles and dubtitles. NTSC-PAL conversion. Storyboards, making of and trailers.
R3: unknown
R4: Same as R2 except 1.85 anamorphic.

DVDBeaver link

Howl's moving castle
R1: 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles and dubtitles. Behind the microphone, Interview with Pete Docter, Miyazaki @ Pixar, trailers. Disc 2 has storyboards.
R2J: Anamorphic 1.78 (window boxed) with Japanese (5.1)/English (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles(?). Disc 2 has storyboards, Venice feature, Wynne Jones interview, Pete Docter interviewand trailers. SE has extra version of filmJapanese DTS but no subs and another disc with Moebius and Miyazaki feature, US Premiere , Miyazaki @ Pixar and a CG feature. Features have no English subs.
R2: 1.85 anamorphic with English (5.1)/Japanese (5.1) dubs - with English subtitles and dubtitles. Disc 1 has storyboards and Ghibli trailers. Disc 2 has interviews with Pete Docter and Wynne Jones, Miyazaki @ Pixar, CG feature and trailers.
R3HK: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (5.1EX)/Cantonese (5.1) - with English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards, interviews with Pete Docter and Wynne Jones, Miyazaki @ Pixar, CG Feature and trailers.
R3K: 1.85 anamorphic with Japanese (2.0/5.1/DTS)/Korean (5.1) - with English subtitles. Disc 2 has storyboards, interviews with Pete Docter and Wynne Jones, trailers, biographies and Korean dub feature. Disc 3 has Miyazaki @ Pixar, CG feature and more trailers.
R4: Unsure - seems to be same as R2.

Whiggles picture comparisson

So there we have it. Best versions to get wil change depending on your posts and as new specs come to light.
Nausicaa of the valley of the wind - R1/2/4 decent (subbed) extras and good PQ
Laputa: castle in the sky - R1/R4 new dub/music and good subs
My neighbour Totoro - wait and see; R1/4 may be better than Aisian versions. R2 looks pretty decent from the DVDTimes review.
Grave of the fireflies - R1 R2/4 have slightly soft picture
Kiki's delivery service - ? R1 has unsynced effects, R2J has dubtitles
Only yesterday - R2/4 R1 not available for forseeable future
Porco Rosso - R1/R2J have Miyazaki's prefered French track. Depends on whether you want the Streamline dub or the new Disney dub.
Pom Poko - R1/R2/R4 English dubs and despite NTSC-PAL, R2/4 have decent PQ
Whisper of the heart - R1/R2/R4 - depends on whether you want higher PAL resolution or correct pitch sound
Princess Mononoke - R1/R2J/R3HK R1 has a quite different look to the other 2. Compare them at the DVDBeaver site and decide which you prefer.
My neighbours the Yamadas - R1/R2/R4 - depends on whether you want higher PAL resolution or correct pitch sound
Spirited away - R1 no red tint and better PQ than R2/4 even though R4 has DTS
The cat returns - R1/2/4 see Pom Poko
Howl's moving castle - From the comparisson, the R2 is the best. R2J is too soft and R1 has compression issues.

Last edited by kiran_mk2; 24-12-2006 at 17:46. Reason: Updated to include more Only Yesterday info
kiran_mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 05:32   #2
Shingster
Trusted User

I have the r3k release of Nausicaa and i'm fairly confident it is a r2j port with added Korean audio track and subtitles. In fact the image on my set up appears slightly better than DVDBeaver's r2j/r2uk/r1us screenshots, but tis close enough to the r2j for me to assume PC set up differences are to blame. I'll post screengrabs that match up to DVDbeaver's later for you.

The r3hk release of Nausicaa uses a slightly rougher print than the r2j/r3k and has a more muted colour palette. This review of Porco Rosso suggests that the r1 US release is the best. IIRC Whisper of the Heart was the first Ghibli film (or one of the first) to be show theatrically in 5.1, so the fact the r3hk is DD2.0 only, wheras the r2j has a Japanese DD5.1 audio track (as do the r1/r2 releases iirc) mean r3hk is probably the one to avoid. Pom Poko is out on r3k now, I think (if not it is out very soon) - oh and the R1 US release of Spirited Away does have a red tint. All DVD releases of Spirited Away are taken from red-tinted masters, it's just that Disney have colour corrected it to some extent (it's less red than the other regions, but still redder than it should be).

EDIT: Oh and I can knock up some r1 screengrabs for My Neighbours the Yamadas to match the DVDBeaver comparison later. One thing I will say about the r1 release of Yamadas is that the really high, large subtitles are a major pain in the ass in some scenes of the film. In general I really hate the subtitle placement on the r1 Ghibli releases.

Last edited by Shingster; 17-02-2006 at 05:40.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 06:14   #3
Boink!
One life left

THanks fo the info, I really should get all of these only own the R4 ltd edn of Spirited Away and the R1 of Mononoke.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:41   #4
earl_roberts2002
See you, space cowboy

Is it actually true that Miyazaki prefers his own Porco Rosso dubbed into a language he [to my understanding] can't even understand, rather than in the language he himself assisted in the recording? Or is it his favourite amongst the dubs? Which is slightly more bizarre...
Not disputing it, it just seems really strange!
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 10:05   #5
carryonline
Bon viveur

Miyazaki has said on a number of occasions that he favours dubs over subtitles because he doesn't want the viewer's eye to be distracted from the visuals of his films. Understandably, I suppose, when you've got such a feast on offer.
carryonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 11:16   #6
Aardvark_DK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_mk2
Princess Mononoke - R1 Subtitles and branching intro/outro
Looking at the Beaver comparison I must say that I much prefer the colours of the R2J and R3HK editions.

Of course, I have no idea which ones are closer to the indended look.
Old 20-02-2006, 00:07   #7
Shingster
Trusted User

Ok, my webspace has been down for the last couple of days, so these are a little late but here are Nausicaa r3k grabs to match the r2j DVDBeaver grabs:

R3k-01
R2j-01

R3k-02
R2j-02

R3k-03
R2j-03

I must be going mad, as I could've sworn DVDBeaver used to have a comparison review for My Neighbours, the Yamadas. Maybe it was another site, but I know i've seen a comparison that features the R2fr disc and the R2j.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 00:17   #8
kiran_mk2
Trusted User

Thanks for the pics - I'll try and update the first post tomorrow.
Old 20-02-2006, 10:39   #9
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

CD-Wow mentions the R3HK Princess Mononoke has a Japanese DTS track, does it have a japanese DD5.1 track ?

Also is it subtitled or dubtitled ?
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 11:19   #10
Aardvark_DK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
CD-Wow mentions the R3HK Princess Mononoke has a Japanese DTS track, does it have a japanese DD5.1 track ?

Also is it subtitled or dubtitled ?
Yes, is has a DD5.1 and the subs are proper ones, not dubs.
Old 20-02-2006, 13:10   #11
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Thanks Aardvark, Ive been meaning to upgrade my R2 UK version for some time.

I have the version which came packaged with the book, but I think i'll sell the DVD on its own
Old 20-02-2006, 14:27   #12
Aardvark_DK
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Thanks Aardvark, Ive been meaning to upgrade my R2 UK version for some time.
Be aware that the R3HK has some edge enhancement as pointed out in the DVD Beaver review.
Old 20-02-2006, 16:51   #13
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Thanks, just had a look at that.

It mentions there is EE in both the Japanese and HK versions. But true, the Jap version does look slightly better, there appears to be some artefacting on the HK one.

The transfer is vastly different to the US/UK/French versions which looks a lot more colourful but softer and less detail.

Hmm, I think id still go with the HK one.
Old 03-03-2006, 00:12   #14
kiran_mk2
Trusted User

bump for updates of 3 new Optimum R2 releases.
Old 20-03-2006, 21:08   #15
kiran_mk2
Trusted User

bump for the Howl's Moving Castle releases.
Old 21-03-2006, 09:59   #16
Boink!
One life left

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_mk2
bump for the Howl's Moving Castle releases.
Just ordered the 2 disc SE region 4 from DVDCrave.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 20:02   #17
mcarocks2003

I would like to see a comparison for 'Ocean Waves'.

Basically is the R3 identical to the R2 in terms of video quality?

EDIT - i'm quite suprised it's not on the list already.

Last edited by mcarocks2003; 22-03-2006 at 09:31.
mcarocks2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 13:54   #18
Rohail
Ultimo hombre

Has anybody purchased the R2 Optimum release of Princess Mononoke?

Want to see it in comparison with the R1, I've not really seen any reviews for it.
Rohail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 15:14   #19
nashie
Trusted User

I picked up My Neighbour Totoro last week, haven't watched it yet though. Only just started to get into anime.

I've watched Ghost in the Shell, Tokyo Godfathers, Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle. Some fantastic animation in all of them.
nashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 01:02   #20
kiran_mk2
Trusted User

I've also "upgraded" my R3 to the new R2 Optimum release of Totoro. Looking forward to watching it.

Re Mononoke - All the Optimum releases use the Madman R4 transfers so look up some R4 reviews. The bad news is that it's an NTSC-PAL conversion and also the R1 has branched titles (ie choose the Japanese dub and the intro/outro are the original Japanese ones whereas if you choose the Englsih dub you get the Englsih intro/credits.