Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 29-07-2005, 23:42   #1
Richie
Trusted User

Three Days Of The Condor

Does anyone have the German dvd which according to Rewind has a commentary by Sydney Pollack? Also can anyone recommed this release over the R1 (which seems to be a pretty standard older dvd)?

Yet another flick without a UK dvd release!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 10:20   #2
pjclark1
Dippy & dizzy

I enjoyed, and own the R1 version
pjclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 12:18   #3
Richie
Trusted User

Just found this review of the German disc that compares it to the R1:
Quote:
This is perhaps one of the very best spy dra- mas ever made - Sydney Pollack's 3 Days Of The Condor. The classic in which Redford is also a CIA operative is available in both Regions 1 & 2. The R2 by Kinowelt is a vast improvement over Par- amount's R1, which has many flaws, especially in detail and resolution. Here the R2 is much better defined with colors mostly accurate and well saturated, with good & solid gray scale

and shadow detail. On top it offers a comm- entary track by direc- tor Sidney Pollack, that is not on the R1. The soundtrack is also presented here in 5.1 DD as on the R1, but the disc does not con- tain the original Mono track. A German and a Spanish dub are inclu- ded, both of merely fair quality in Mono. The English 5.1DD is mixed well without the processed sounds affecting the viewing expierience. The "action" stays focused on the front channels. The music, however, benefits greatly from the wider stage.
http://dvdscan.com/spygame.htm

Looks like the one to go for then!
Old 30-07-2005, 12:23   #4
Frank M
Trusted User

Edit: Richie was faster

Last edited by Frank M; 30-07-2005 at 12:25.
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 12:24   #5
pjclark1
Dippy & dizzy

about £6.50 delivered from either, so does look like the German one is the one to get.
(although the 5:1 remix on the German is likely worse than the original mono still on the R1 version)

Last edited by pjclark1; 30-07-2005 at 12:26.
pjclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 14:02   #6
Richie
Trusted User

Got the German disc in the post today from Amazon Germany, it was just under £9 delivered.
Looks great, sounds really great, the commentary is pretty involving from what I've sampled and man, what a fantastic score by Dave Grusin!

Last edited by Richie; 04-08-2005 at 16:58.
Old 07-08-2005, 18:29   #7
slam
Trusted User

I first saw this at my school's film society during my O-levels in 1976, sitting on the back row of the lecture theatre when I should have been revising. It's still one of my favourite films. Yes, it's a great spy thriller, but it's one of the few films I can think of that successfully captures the ambience of working in a small office.

I have the region 1 release, which is adequate, and I'd like to upgrade. Just one question: There are appear to be two German releases on Amazon Germany, one priced 5.99 euros (which appears to be the 2001 Kinowelt release reviewed by dvdscan.com) and another out in 2005, priced 9.90 euros. Does anyone know if there's any difference?
slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 19:12   #8
Reno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam
I first saw this at my school's film society during my O-levels in 1976, sitting on the back row of the lecture theatre when I should have been revising. It's still one of my favourite films. Yes, it's a great spy thriller, but it's one of the few films I can think of that successfully captures the ambience of working in a small office.

I have the region 1 release, which is adequate, and I'd like to upgrade. Just one question: There are appear to be two German releases on Amazon Germany, one priced 5.99 euros (which appears to be the 2001 Kinowelt release reviewed by dvdscan.com) and another out in 2005, priced 9.90 euros. Does anyone know if there's any difference?
Unfortunately I bought the higher priced DVD on my last visit to Germany and it is missing the commentary track by Sidney Pollack. It's one of a DVD collection of the 50 favourite films selected by the Sueddeutsche Zeitung, one of the major German newspapers. Watched it yesterday, the transfer and sound are excellent, but I assume they are identical to the Kinowelt release.

Curious selection of films by the way. Not that I agree with all the choices, but at least they are original and it goes to show how some films are much more acclaimed in other countries:

http://sz-mediathek.sueddeutsche.de/...4_sub_eins.jsp

Last edited by Reno; 07-08-2005 at 20:38.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 20:33   #9
DennyL

That is an amazing and interesting list, Reno. Plenty of good films in there. Quite weighted towards German cinema, naturally, but lacking THE German film I WISH would come out on DVD: Maidens in Uniform .

Anyway, good to see Blake Edwards in at number six!
DennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 20:40   #10
Richie
Trusted User

Was going to mention avoiding the release from that collection but didn't want to complicate things for anyone else! Sorry for any confusion!
Old 07-08-2005, 21:04   #11
Reno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyL
Quite weighted towards German cinema, naturally, but lacking THE German film I WISH would come out on DVD: Maidens in Uniform .
Yes, absolutely amazing film and still not that well known outside of Germany. It's certainly on par with Lang's M and Von Sternberg's The Blue Angel. The film also exists with two entirely different endings, which would be interesting to compare on DVD.

Last edited by Reno; 07-08-2005 at 21:10.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 13:05   #12
stefmcd
Trusted User

Really pleased to see Jackie Brown in that list but I couldn't believe the original Thomas Crown is listed. The most disappointing film of either lead actor.
stefmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 00:19   #13
daj47
Tufted Puffin

Three days of the Condor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
Got the German disc in the post today from Amazon Germany, it was just under £9 delivered.
Looks great, sounds really great, the commentary is pretty involving from what I've sampled and man, what a fantastic score by Dave Grusin!
For what it's worth, I can second everything Richie says (got mine today).
Good script too.
"Do you miss that kind of action, Sir?"
"No, I miss that kind of clarity".
daj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 18:57   #14
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

And mine finally turned up today; got to make mention of the transfer, which edges the R1. There are a few sparklies here and there, but it's largely clean and damage free, plus the transfer is - at times - eye-wateringly beautiful, with pure, vibrant colours, nice and sharp without evident edge-enhancement; it's almost three-dimensional.

Pollack chooses his moments to dive in during the commentary, but he's never less than interesting. The only black mark is the lack of English mono (which IIRC was on the R1); switching from the English 5.1 to the German mono track, the latter sounds so much fuller. Cheap enough, and it will fill the void until (well, if, knowing Paramount's track record) an R1 SE appears.

BTW, isn't Max Von Sydow just absolutely brilliant? His first appearance here and he's walking away from the camera in the rain, such a simple act that somehow creates such huge anticipation; and you don't even see his face!

Last edited by John Hodson; 05-06-2006 at 20:00.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 20:06   #15
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno
The film also exists with two entirely different endings, which would be interesting to compare on DVD.
Does it? I did not know. I like this film very much and own the R1 DVD. Unless I have missed it, it does not have the alternate ending. IMDB does not mention one either. Can you post a spoiler tag about this, please?

The movie has some similarities with "The Parallax View", but I like Condor better.

Last edited by Raigmore; 05-06-2006 at 20:08.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 20:45   #16
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigmore
Can you post a spoiler tag about this, please?
He won't do this for two reasons; 1) He's banned, 2) He wasn't referring to 'Condor'; read the post again.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:02   #17
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
He won't do this for two reasons; 1) He's banned, 2) He wasn't referring to 'Condor'; read the post again.
Right! The post is slightly confusing and I did think that he was referring to '....Condor'. Whew!
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 16:43   #18
hitch_fan
Trusted User

Universal is releasing a two-disc SE of Three Days on September 7 here in Holland. Don't know the full specs yet but extras seem to be some docs (at least that's what I assume that the extras "More about the movie" and "More about Sidney Pollack" suggest), trailer, photos. No mention in the press release of the commentary that's on the German disc.
Old 26-08-2006, 16:56   #19
stefmcd
Trusted User

Quite surprising but very welcome. I hope it's due for an imminent release on hd if they've went to so much trouble to reissue at this stage on dvd format.
stefmcd is offline   Reply With Quote