Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 25-06-2005, 19:30   #1
Goblin
Trusted User

Millennium

I've watched about 8 episodes in Series One and I'm tempted to give-up, I've just watched The Well Worn Lock which was probably the worst episode so far, does this series start slow or should I expect the same through-out?

I want to like it, Lance Henrikson is good and it feels like The X-Files but some of the acting is terrible (Franks Wife) and the emotional scenes are really cheesy, when people aren't dying it's like watching Corrie.
Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2005, 22:58   #2
GrossePointeJack
Banned

Really? Isn't 'The Well Worn Lock' the peodophile one? I found it quite chilling actually. I don't know what to say though. I think you should stick with it, and then go on to S2 which is far better than S1 I think (There's less of the 'killer of the week' stuff and more to do with the slighty shifty group itself).

There's already a thread about this somewhere though.
GrossePointeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2005, 23:13   #3
Tyler Durden
Blimey I'm a dad!

I'm actually watching Anamnesis from S2 this very moment. I have to say that I'm finding S2 much better than S1.
I'd also say stick with it
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 13:20   #4
anephric
Kidney Thief

If you dislike Frank's wife (as my girlf did emphatically)
Spoiler:
keep watchin'.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 13:30   #5
Bartman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
If you dislike Frank's wife (as my girlf did emphatically)
Spoiler:
keep watchin'.
Totally agree. Didn't like her at first either.

Actually loved the series and was dissapointed that it was brought to an end, in my view, a little too early.
Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 13:37   #6
anephric
Kidney Thief

I was implying more that...
Spoiler:
she croaks.
Old 26-06-2005, 13:37   #7
GrossePointeJack
Banned

I think that Megan Gallagher does pretty well actually. It's just there's nothing for her to do other than be 'The Wife'. I think she's much better utilised in S2.
Old 26-06-2005, 13:44   #8
ohood
Isn't it?

I've just started watching series 3, very hard going. They really over-shot with the end of series 2 I think, it is almost like Fox said "Reign it in, less 'concept', more 'FBI', now". *sigh* I'll stick with it, but it is a shame especially as you got the impression it was all going somewhere huge. Series 2 is very good on the whole though.
ohood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 13:49   #9
burn
Run fatboy, run

Yes the first series does start slow, but it builds toa head quite fast once it gets on its feet. The second series is better than the first, but that s mainly due to what is being addressed in the arc of the series, as for the third series, whilst slightly weak in places it manages to tie up some of the loose ends left in the other two series. As a whole I loved the show.
burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2005, 14:18   #10
Bartman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
I was implying more that...
Spoiler:
she croaks.
Sorry, misunderstood. I felt that her role got somewhat better in the latter series' as per the point made by GrossePointeJack.

Last edited by Bartman; 26-06-2005 at 14:20.
Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 16:13   #11
Corrus
Undead member

Stick with it. I reckon it gets going from about Ep.12 onwards. The latter half of S1 and all of S2 kick ass!

Haven't watched S3 yet....
Corrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 17:00   #12
MrSynner
Fear the puppet!

The biggest problem with S3 is that I don't think there was ever meant to be one.
Spoiler:
As I recall, the producers and writers were all told it was ending with the second season so they had what was basically the apocalypse at the end of the season only to be told after it had screened that there was going to be a third season. Bit of a problem that - what with three of the main characters being dead, half the planet dead or dying and the main character trapped in a catatonic state. I've got 'em all on DVD - looking forward to watching S3 (which I've never seen) just so I can find out HOW they get out the corner they painted themselves into.

Still, superb first series, and the second was much better - some of the funniest TV I've seen was in the second year - like 'Somehow Satan got behind me'.
MrSynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 18:06   #13
SIMON ADEBISI
;lk;sdlfk;aldskf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSynner
like 'Somehow Satan got behind me'.
Fantastic episode.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 22:18   #14
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSynner
Spoiler:
looking forward to watching S3 (which I've never seen) just so I can find out HOW they get out the corner they painted themselves into.

Dear lord, you are going to be dissapointed !

Last edited by hookbeak; 27-06-2005 at 22:18.
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 08:07   #15
anephric
Kidney Thief

Yep:
Spoiler:
they essentially ignore S2. The viral apocalypse is recounted as being little more than an outbreak of sniffles.
Old 28-06-2005, 08:19   #16
ohood
Isn't it?

Series 3 so far (I'm on espisode 6 or something, last one I watched was the '13 Years Later') is like bad food, very chewy and not alot of flavour. All the potential wasted from the series 2 cliffhanger.
ohood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 13:10   #17
unrealnils
Trusted User

Season 2 rocked

Season 3 was weaker but still watchable .....

Shame really it was heading somewhere really good i liked the two eps with the nazis they where cool ......
unrealnils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 14:29   #18
GrossePointeJack
Banned

Glen Morgan and James Wong were only really contracted to one season anyway. And with Chris Carter away they took over production for S2. I think they were pretty much told that S2 could be the last one, so they went with an ending that works if there is never another series after that or if they choose to do a series 3 (Which they did), the show could continue.

However, when S3 was commisioned, no one thought to ask Morgan & Wong where the season should head, so they come out with the ridiculous 'It wasn't the end of the world after all' thing. Sadly, Morgan & Wong seemed to have disowned the show now (Judging by the non-appearence in the documentary) and I'm not really that surprised from the scathing treatment they recieve from the hands of everyone else involved in the production.

And the less said about the X-Files episode the better.
Old 28-06-2005, 14:38   #19
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrossePointeJack
Sadly, Morgan & Wong seemed to have disowned the show now (Judging by the non-appearence in the documentary) and I'm not really that surprised from the scathing treatment they recieve from the hands of everyone else involved in the production.

What did happen there ? Anyone know ? The doc on the s2 dvd does seem to have everyone saying "season 2 is crap" without *actually* saying it, this is most odd as season 2 is the best by a country mile....
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 17:13   #20
GrossePointeJack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak
What did happen there ? Anyone know ? The doc on the s2 dvd does seem to have everyone saying "season 2 is crap" without *actually* saying it, this is most odd as season 2 is the best by a country mile....
Pretty much what I said. They were given free reign on the show, mostly based on their previous work with the X-Files and their friendship with Chris Carter. Chris Carter had left 'Millennium' to go back to 'The X-Files' which, at the time, was in a bit of trouble. It just seemed that Morgan & Wong recognised that the 'Killer of the week' format was tired, and the show needed something else, though obviously not everyone agreed.

It seems to me that those involved with the show seem to blame S2 for the show's downfall, but truthfully the ratings were never that good anyway and the show was always going to be cancelled, regardless of who is in charge.

Lance Henrikson actually had a pretty good idea for the show, which was to have cases be drawn out over time, instead of 1 killer a week. You could still essentially have Frank working 1 case each episode, but also bring up the fact that he's still working on other cases, harder cases. That way it becomes a nice season builder.