Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 22-06-2005, 00:01   #1
PC_Bod
Not a copper

Exhaust back box price for my Astra?

Exhaust has started blowing So I nipped into KwikFit to ask them to take a quick peek and give me a quote.

Basically the back box has gone (mid section pipe is rattling inside a much larger hole in the box).

He said "theres two, but it's actually the dearer one you need, and that's 63.50".

I was going to reply with "Well that's Harrods price, what's yours?".

Does anyone have some sort of idea what I should be paying?

Could I do it myself if I sourced the part from my local factor? How easy is a backbox to fit? I understand it just clips onto the rubber gromet / shock absorber hook thing, but how does it connect to the mid pipe? Just wedged on?

BTW it's a 97 Astra (P) - Early 97 (Feb) 1.6

What was he talking about "theres two, but you need the dearer one".....
Sounds suspiciously like he was trying to take me for a ride, and the price kinda confirmed it.
Old 22-06-2005, 07:42   #2
Ds3
Trusted User

Doesn't sound too expensive to me, rear section for my Honda is about £200 Just phone up a couple of random exhaust places and ask them to quote you for the part to get a general idea of prices

Last edited by Ds3; 22-06-2005 at 07:43.
Ds3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 07:57   #3
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Don't know about the price, but I would run a mile from using Kwik Fit.

They have a v.bad reputation for assuring customers that they need more work than is required.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 08:02   #4
PC_Bod
Not a copper

Well when the car was ramped up and he beckoned me over to show me the backbox, he said "Oh, those front tyres are looking a little low"...lol
I thought "here we go".
PC_Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 09:05   #5
eddieed
Jump Star!

Need more detail about the car as their are hunderds of 1.6 astras listed however if I have picked the right one then:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts...?recordID=3155

You need Part Number GM264M Price £18.28 + VAT

This fits both 8v and 16v 1.6i with a CAT.
eddieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 12:59   #6
PC_Bod
Not a copper

Thanks eddieed, but looking at that website, it seems they might not stock the right exhaust for my car. It's definately a 1.6, but I'm sure it's not an injection model (forgive me for being a total car spaz )

Im going to have a ganders under the bonnet later and see if I can find the right engine model number. I have the Haynes manual here, but it only shows the underbonnet view of 4 different types.
Old 23-06-2005, 13:50   #7
eddieed
Jump Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC_Bod
Thanks eddieed, but looking at that website, it seems they might not stock the right exhaust for my car. It's definately a 1.6, but I'm sure it's not an injection model (forgive me for being a total car spaz )

Im going to have a ganders under the bonnet later and see if I can find the right engine model number. I have the Haynes manual here, but it only shows the underbonnet view of 4 different types.
Highly unlikely it will have a Carb on a P reg Astra. I think my dad had a 1.6 on an N plate and that was an injection model. It may however only have an 8v engine but I think the 8 and 16 valve both had the same back box anyway.

If you let me have the exact model number (or even beter the engine model, (this will be in the manual and have something lik 16X in it. Then I can have another look.
Old 23-06-2005, 15:51   #8
PC_Bod
Not a copper

Well you could very well be right. I've just been having a good look for the engine model code on the engine block but can't find it.

However, on reference to the pictures etc in the Haynes manual it seems its a C16SE, which is the fuel injected model.

The reason I wasn't sure before, because the picture of a C16SE shows the air filter cover of an injector model which is square, and mine is circular, and looks like it's covering a carburettor. However, I've just had a good look through the Haynes manual and the Multec CFi model, the fuel injection unit apparently resembles a carb.

Anyway, I'm waffling, so it seems it's a C16SE.
Old 23-06-2005, 16:26   #9
eddieed
Jump Star!

OK

I'm struggling to find the exact model. My advice would be a trip to your local friendly Motor factor and they should be able to find out from the chassis number.

As regards fitting, they tend to be easy. Put it this way last time I had a pucture repaired at Kwick-Fit they were removing the old exhaust with a mallet, the new one then fits in place. Use a small amount of Exhaust gum to ensure a good seal.
Old 23-06-2005, 19:17   #10
carlito8
XBL - Carlito8

Once you know what your after just spend 10 minutes ringing all the local garages in the yellow pages, I've done it a few times with exhasuts, batteries etc... and a lot of places will beat the best price you've been quoted.
carlito8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 20:22   #11
PC_Bod
Not a copper

Well I did ring around a few places today. I must admit most of them weren't local garages, but more places like ATS, KwikFit etc, and Kwikfit was surprisingly the best price.

It turns out there are two different exhausts made for my car, one was roughly 30 quid, another was 60. Sods law meant mine was the more expensive one (I checked beforehand, so they weren't just saying that to get me to buy the more expensive one).

So I ended up going to KwikFit and paying the 63.50, purely because my wife needs it for work, and it had decided to get much louder this afternoon, so I was worried it was going to pop and be undrivable.
Old 23-06-2005, 21:32   #12
Ds3
Trusted User

Always annoying when that happens. I had a Renault Clio 1.4 Auto a while back, which my grandad had owned for a few years. Middle section of the exhaust went when I was in London so I had to get it sorted before I could drive home - ended up costing me about £140 cos the bloody thing had some special flexi section that most other Clio's didn't!
Ds3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 09:48   #13
PC_Bod
Not a copper

BTW I forgot to say thanks to all those who posted, especially eddieed, thanks for looking into it for me (I'll definately keep that site bookmarked for future purchases, some nice cheap parts on there).