Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 07-08-2004, 18:19   #1
lip_13

"the Parameter is incorrect" when installing nvidia drivers

last night i went to re-install the nvidia drivers for my Gainward Ti 4200 as each time i would right click with the mouse, i received an error saying something or other about checking that the graphics card driver were installed properly (can't really remember what message i was getting now). So i uninstalled the drivers i was using before (not sure which revision) and restarted my computer. i then installed the latest version of the nvidia drivers (61.77) but i got this message up when i tried to update the driver for my card:

"Cannot install this hardware
There was a problem installing this hardware:
NVIDIA GeForce 4Ti 4200
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The parameter is incorrect"

i took a look round for what the problem might be and found this

"This error usually occurs during installation initialization. This error can occur for several reasons. Some specific reasons might be if an installation is being run from a network or the path from which setup.exe is launched is too long. There might be more reasons that are computer specific"

the same article also suggests that the problem may have something to do with an out of date ikernal, which i have subsequently updated, and also suggests cleaning the temp directory in the windows folder, which i have also done. i have also tried installing older versions of the drivers (56.72 + 45.33) and have also used driver cleaner and reg cleaner to get rid of any traces of the old drivers, but all to no avail as i keep getting the same error message. can anyone please suggest how i might go about fixing this with a clean format of the drive?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:47   #2
lip_13

i've tried removing the card and putting it back in again but to no avail - anyone?
Old 08-08-2004, 15:02   #3
rwniel
Trusted User

Sometimes a parameter in the registry can be incorrectly set which stops re-installation of drivers (or when swapping over from different adapter cards within the same catagory). Have you tried downloading and running Pnpreg –l
(Parameter is a lower case 'L'). You can find details of this here - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810509

As you seem to have tried most options, this is probably worth trying.

Robert
rwniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 15:09   #4
Alan. b

Have a look at the last post here:

http://bink.nu/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2249
Old 08-08-2004, 20:41   #5
Solidstate
I've had 600 posts robbed

Click on Start on your desktop. Type Regedit press enter. Find the device you just installed - probably under PCI (if you click on each device to expand the folder and then click on the contents you should eventually find the right one by reading the description on the right column). Once you've found it Right Click on the folder the device is in in the left column- click permissions - make sure everything is set to Allow close Regedit and try to run your software.

I always have to do this when I install any new hardware. Something to do with admin users and more than one account on a PC - or something to do with multiple boots - anyway once you know its easily fixed.
Solidstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:51   #6
lip_13

thanks for all your replies - i'll have a tinker when i get home tonight