Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Old 21-10-2016, 09:38   #21
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
It does look like the curse of the video game movie might finally be broken!
Easy enough to make a half-decent looking trailer. Much harder to make a decent, coherent film.

Also, is swan-diving off a building going to be this movie's equivalent of Van Helsing's swinging on a rope?
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:56   #22
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

I saw this last night, and it left me cold to be honest. They've absolutely nailed the aesthetic of the game series, but the tone and spirit was lost in the screen translation. It just takes itself too damn seriously.

The sequences in 15th century Spain are literally only used for a handful of action set-pieces, there's no meaningful exploration of the history, the characters or the setting. The whole thing winds up being unsatisfyingly clinical and po-faced.

It's a damn shame, because it's an absolutely stunning looking film. The sets, props and costumes (in particular) are all beautifully designed and realised. The stunt work is also incredibly impressive and evocative of the games.

What made (most of) the games work is that Ubisoft know how to have fun with it. It's a daft concept, made credible and even more fun by their attention to historic detail.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 22:12   #23
SIMON ADEBISI

The first hour of this was OK, looked nice and had some crunchy fight scenes.

The second half made no sense at all. Felt like huge chunks had been lopped out. And the end is dire. A real "that can't be it" effort.

A wet fart of a film.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 23:49   #24
Shingster
Trusted User

Pretty much the same as what I thought when I caught it today, posted this on another forum:

Quote:
Caught this today in a pretty typically underlit Cineworld screening that meant I could barely make out any fine detail because of how dark the cinematography is, but the film itself isn't the giant turkey its universal critical mauling and disastrous box office would suggest - but neither has it been unfairly maligned either. It's OK for about 90mins then rapidly disappears up its own backside when the character motivations and allignment start flip-flopping for no apparent reason other than they need X character to be in Y position leading into a sequel. The final act of the film is truly, truly nonsensical and completely undermine's all that came before it. It feels like it was drastically rewritten or edited last minute.

As I type the worldwide gross is just shy of $150million so I think it's dead in the water as a franchise, which is probably a good thing tbh because on the strength of the opening film it doesn't deserve a sequel.
I found it completely baffling that:
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:48   #25
ourmatetone

I didn't mind that it went a bit bat-**** towards the end, because what preceded it was so drab. But, I suppose, I wasn't exactly invested at that point anyway.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:31   #26
fivebyfive
Trusted User

Shame as the film should be good and they got the look right. if they based it on AC2 and the main film was the animus part (just don't base it on AC3)

I have not seen the film (will wait for the rental) but I think the problem is they get some writer who just watches a few game cutscenes and craps out a script. They got the star talent, got the look but had to make it dull (the movie animus is a dumb concept and they give him the wrist blade)

The real entertainment is when others say its not as bad as YOU make it out to be
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:50   #27
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
I have not seen the film (will wait for the rental) but I think the problem is they get some writer who just watches a few game cutscenes and craps out a script. They got the star talent, got the look but had to make it dull (the movie animus is a dumb concept and they give him the wrist blade).

I don't think that was the issue. They totally got the concept, and how they present the animus cinematically is nothing short of brilliant, it's just boring and the tone is too bleak. I don't think Kurzel was the right director for it, it needed a touch of levity.
Old 23-05-2017, 20:26   #28
fivebyfive
Trusted User

I thought I would give a try as didn't have anything to watch on sunday and had some amazon video credit. Its not a good film, very soulless and the animus representation does not work and giving him the hidden blade in real life is so dumb.

Video games to film can work, just need to give them to a better writer or just did the AC2 story
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote