Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Old 21-11-2016, 17:27   #861
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

I'm reading Dracula, trying to read a few classics on the Kindle for free
rbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 05:47   #862
Rob
Stir Crazy

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. A non-fiction account that weaves the stories of the building of the world's fair in Chicago in 1893 and that of HH Holmes, a notorious serial killer. I found it thoroughly engrossing and I can't wait to see what Scorsese and Di Caprio do with the film.
Old 22-11-2016, 10:46   #863
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Just started the "first" Mitch Rapp, American Assassin, I recall reading what I think was the real first book, the White House takeover one, when it first came out.
DuncanSWardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 11:04   #864
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Just finished Night School - the latest Reacher book. Better then the last few books but still not great. Reacher seemed to be just along for the ride in this one rather than the driving force
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 09:46   #865
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Moved on to the next Russell Hoban novel, Linger Awhile.

It has the same format and some locations of the previous, but is a totally different story, being a very funny cross between an OAP Weird Science and the Frankenstein story. Rude and very entertaining, with a sombre seam in the middle.
Old 27-11-2016, 19:43   #866
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
Just finished Night School - the latest Reacher book. Better then the last few books but still not great. Reacher seemed to be just along for the ride in this one rather than the driving force
pretty much what I thought, plus I didn't really like the style of this one with the time in one place, meaning different time in another place....location of one person and 100 yards away was another.
dbilsborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:37   #867
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Reading Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast, a Radio 4 Book of the Week by Charlie Connelly. Light and entertaining - the author is obviously a fan of Douglas Adams' style of humour.

Last edited by SimonI; 01-12-2016 at 15:10.
SimonI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:48   #868
DuncanSWardle
Trusted User

Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz

It's what Jack Reacher would be if Matthew Reilly wrote him and Bruckhiemer produced.

I was put off initially as thought was a teenage style book and also found the first couple chapters a little silly but then settled in for the ride

Yes it's been done before. Yes it is Jack Reacher mixed with Jason Bourne. Yes it's a bit silly and fanciful but it's bloody good fun.

Once I got those first few chapters out of the way I've been hooked and just at fifty percent in little over a day and half.

If stays like this it's defiantly a series I will stay with
DuncanSWardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 20:23   #869
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Just finished Moomin Midwinter.

Going to continue with Moby Dick. It's a long slog, hope it pays off.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:05   #870
allan175
Trusted User

Just finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Really enjoyed it.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:21   #871
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
... Going to continue with Moby Dick. It's a long slog, hope it pays off.
It should do - I read it a couple of years ago and was amazed by it.

Just finished William Boyd's An Ice-cream War - a tremendous piece of storytelling.

Started Conrad's Chance: A Tale in Two Parts - I have loved everthing I've read by him and this is shaping up early on to being just as good.
Old 14-01-2017, 14:04   #872
gjkendall
Gooner

I'm half way through D.Melhoffs Grim Woods..I had heard good things about the authors debut novel, I've not read it myself, but chose the follow up as the blurb appealed to me more.

The opening chapters sprint along at a steady pace. It's an odd set up, because the author didn't initially reference things to give this a time setting, you'd easily think it was in the 80's. So it's quite jarring when he talks about modern musicians and smartphones. This book reads exactly like those old slasher movies of the 80's. You have teenagers having sex all over the place, people being killed in ott gory ways, and teenagers having sex all over the place. It's bound to be a plot point later on, but people are making very odd choices throughout the book and seem to have earth shattering moments of convenient plotting...again like an old 80's slasher movie. I'm currently stuck in a very sticky middle section, characters are acting too oddly and unnatural. Again, I am unsure if this is a plot point or if the book is indeed an homage so i'm trying to stick with it. I have everything crossed it picks up soon.

EDIT: it didn't really...finished it, but it was a chore.

Last edited by gjkendall; 06-02-2017 at 18:35.
gjkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 18:33   #873
gjkendall
Gooner

Just finished 'Behind Her Eyes' by Sarah Pinborough...the publicity for this is focusing primarily on the books ending, which is, as they rightly say, a proper WTF moment. I'd be pretty impressed if anyone worked it out. It's a well written book, that you can't really discuss for fear of spoilers.
Old 12-02-2017, 20:32   #874
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
Just finished 'Behind Her Eyes' by Sarah Pinborough...the publicity for this is focusing primarily on the books ending, which is, as they rightly say, a proper WTF moment. I'd be pretty impressed if anyone worked it out. It's a well written book, that you can't really discuss for fear of spoilers.
I bought this based on your review, and initially thought the twist was the daftest thing I'd read in a long while (I'd guessed it quite a way in advance). However the ending completely reedemed it. Very clever.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 20:35   #875
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
I bought this based on your review, and initially thought the twist was the daftest thing I'd read in a long while (I'd guessed it quite a way in advance). However the ending completely reedemed it. Very clever.
I got the first part but missed the final reveal. I can see how people could think it daft, it is a bit of a genre cheat I guess (Maybe I've said too much)

Last edited by gjkendall; 14-02-2017 at 20:36.
gjkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 15:21   #876
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

The DCI Ryan Mysteries

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holy-Island...hedvdforums-21

Reading this series at the moment, am on book 3 currently. Fairly easy to read crime fiction, based around Holy Island in the UK.

Reduced to £1.99 each at the moment too

Last edited by Alan b; 24-02-2017 at 17:35.
dbilsborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:53   #877
gjkendall
Gooner

Just finished Hekla's Children by James Brogden. An interesting story of 4 missing children, a bog man, spirit worlds and cannibalistic demons! Recommended!
Old 28-02-2017, 13:34   #878
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
I fell for the hype & gave this a go.

It's a well-written "love triangle" tale that midway through, introduces an element from another genre that you just know will be part of the WTF ending.

Saying anymore will ruin things but I had guessed what the first twist would be but it was still effective. I was also sure I had worked out the final twist but was completely wrong & it was a proper kick-to-the-nuts ending that left me very satisfied & ultimately it did live up to the hype.

However, I can fully understand it will be a Marmite book as that other Genre element creeping in will annoy many. My mum is reading it soon & I just know she will not be impressed...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:38   #879
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
I fell for the hype & gave this a go.

It's a well-written "love triangle" tale that midway through, introduces an element from another genre that you just know will be part of the WTF ending.

Saying anymore will ruin things but I had guessed what the first twist would be but it was still effective. I was also sure I had worked out the final twist but was completely wrong & it was a proper kick-to-the-nuts ending that left me very satisfied & ultimately it did live up to the hype.

However, I can fully understand it will be a Marmite book as that other Genre element creeping in will annoy many. My mum is reading it soon & I just know she will not be impressed...
lol, I'd be interested in your Mums response. The genre shift could be classed as a cheat, but for me it worked really well in a Tales OF The Unexpected kind of way. Again, difficult to say much without spoiling anything.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:45   #880
gjkendall
Gooner

I'm now reading Final Girls by Riley Sager. It's not published till July, but tells the story of the sole survivors of three separate killing sprees. Think Friday the 13ths Ginny Field, Halloweens Laurie Strode & Sidney Prescott from Scream meeting up...there's going to be issues.