Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Old 07-12-2016, 16:04   #1
Hernster
Toon Army Member

Pebble is dead AKA what's the next best thing?

Pebble official annoucement

Pebble is being bought out by Fitbit and I have a Pebble 2 watch that may stop functioning at some point in the future.

For Android, what's my next option? I love the 5 / 6 days of battery life I'm getting with the Pebble.
Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 22:18   #2
target
Trusted User

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,639 Posts
Didn't they run a kickstarter not long ago for a new model? The people that backed that must be going ape! This'll be the biggest demonstration of the risks of kickskarter, ever.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:14   #3
orac
information is restricted

I would hope that they keep the app working as along as possible. Its a real shame, I still use a Pebble Classic and there is nothing around that is similar for battery life. Certainly Fitbit offer nothing similar at the moment.

Not good for people that kickstarted and have just received the Pebble 2.

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:56   #4
Hernster
Toon Army Member

Theres a lot of confusion from new and old users, I received a P2 a couple of months ago. We can only hope they keep the pebble app in the app stores and Google don't change their wearable software too much to affect the Pebble.

The best thing I like about it is the battery life but that's because of the black and white screen, I can't see fitbit going backwards basically.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2016, 15:51   #5
cjay
Trusted User

Samsung Gear S3 is probably next best in terms of battery.

Last edited by cjay; 08-12-2016 at 15:52.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 16:27   #6
allan175
Trusted User

I've been a keen Pebble user/developer since the first Kickstarter version.

I recently got a Pebble 2 free as part of a developer push, and I've been very impressed with it, my daughter asked to try my old Pebble and she's not stopped using it since!

I was hoping to get a Pebble Time 2 when they came out, a larger colour screen would be ideal for games, but obviously that's not happening anymore! Hopefully Fitbit will do something similar, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm going to keep using this Pebble 2 for as long as I can, I couldn't go back to a non-smart watch, seems pointless after having the convenience of getting notifications/reading news/playing games on a watch!

Last edited by allan175; 09-12-2016 at 16:28.
allan175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 15:22   #7
Hernster
Toon Army Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay View Post
Samsung Gear S3 is probably next best in terms of battery.
Thank you CJay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175 View Post
I've been a keen Pebble user/developer since the first Kickstarter version.

I recently got a Pebble 2 free as part of a developer push, and I've been very impressed with it, my daughter asked to try my old Pebble and she's not stopped using it since!

I was hoping to get a Pebble Time 2 when they came out, a larger colour screen would be ideal for games, but obviously that's not happening anymore! Hopefully Fitbit will do something similar, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm going to keep using this Pebble 2 for as long as I can, I couldn't go back to a non-smart watch, seems pointless after having the convenience of getting notifications/reading news/playing games on a watch!
I too have my doubts about how Fitbit will use Pebble's assets. I can't see them going backwards in using the Pebbles e-paper screen. But I will be very interested in what they come up with. I wear a fitbit alongside my Pebble so if I can combine them, then win win.

For the time being I'll use my Pebble as long as it's working and if functions break down or stop completely I'll look into the Gadgetbridge software as an alternative. Users on /r/Pebble have already taken steps to archive the watchfaces and apps and there's a very useful Google Doc they're creating showing all current smartwatches and their capabilities.

Last edited by Hernster; 10-12-2016 at 15:24.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:31   #8
orac
information is restricted

I have now sold my Pebble Classic Orange and have gone for a Fitbit Blaze (preowned Ł70)

Does notifications for texts, emails, calendar, phone calls, facebook messenger etc. Its a screen similar to apple watch and it comes on when you raise arm. It shows more text for notifications and its easy to read and its touchscreen (buttons are used for some functions). It has 9 clock faces. It has music control (skip track and pause, NOT volume).

Battery life is supposed to be 5 days, although not fully tested it yet.

Obviously has all the fitness stuff - steps etc and It monitors heart rate (leds underneath) - fitness app auto syncs (Misfit on Pebble was manual).

Its charged by pushing the watch out of the housing and it charges inside a small box via USB. It can be set to email once the battery is low and also when fully charged.

The only 2 negatives are the Vibration is nowhere near as fierce as the Pebble and its not an always on display. But I decided to go for it, as all the other stuff I like and I wanted better fitness features (I cycle to work etc).

Films you must see
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 17:16   #9
allan175
Trusted User

I'm sticking with my Pebble 2 for now, but I've started looking at things like this:-
kw88 Android 5.1 Smart Watch

Seems quite impressive from what I've seen online.