Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 22-05-2017, 16:45   #1
farmroad38
Ho hum...

Motorola Moto X Play horribly slow - is it broken?

I'm after an opinion from the collective knowledge of the forum...

I have a Motorola Moto X Play, and I've had it for just over a year. Yesterday, it froze completely - it's done that a couple of times since I've had it, but I just rebooted and it was okay.

This time, I rebooted by holding down the power key for ages, but it took a very, very long time to finally turn off. When I restarted it, it came up with a message that said "Process System is not responding". Following the first rule of electrical items, I turned it off and on again (several times), but it did the same thing each time.

After a bit of Googling, I tried rebooting in safe mode (same results) and clearing the system cache from the bootloader (same result). Finally, I took out the SD card (formatted as internal storage) and replaced it with a different one - this time, when I rebooted, it started okay, so it looks like the original SD was fried.

However, even though it now starts okay, pretty much everything I run comes up as not responding and it's almost unusable. It does seem to be related to the SD card - anything I've moved over there is slow, things running from the phone memory look to be okay. I tried moving one app that was slow back to internal storage, and it runs at normal speed. I don't believe it's the SD card again, because I used to use this one when I first had the phone and it had no problems then.

So, to my question: does it sound like the phone is borked? I have an extended warranty with John Lewis, so I should be able to get it repaired/replaced, but I don't want to send it off to them if it's possibly a software fault.

Apologies for the 'War and Peace' nature of this missive...
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 17:25   #2
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

I've had problems with my InFocus freezing and it's always been related to the SD Card (Was a Genuine Samsung 64gb from Amazon).

I did what you did and Hard Power it down and the SD Card was unreadable. I was able to retrieve alot of SB content using recovery software and then formatted the card.

I changed the SD card to a My memory 64gb and still get the odd freeze. However I don't hard power down. I just press the power button to turn the screen of if it works and then reboot if I can.. I now try to back up what's on the SD Card just incase.

Might be a pain but backup yr apps or take a note and try a factory reset.

I found thread after thread of people who had problems with SD cards.

Last edited by Q; 22-05-2017 at 17:27.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 19:48   #3
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmroad38 View Post
I'm after an opinion from the collective knowledge of the forum...

I have a Motorola Moto X Play, and I've had it for just over a year. Yesterday, it froze completely - it's done that a couple of times since I've had it, but I just rebooted and it was okay.

However, even though it now starts okay, pretty much everything I run comes up as not responding and it's almost unusable. It does seem to be related to the SD card - anything I've moved over there is slow, things running from the phone memory look to be okay. I tried moving one app that was slow back to internal storage, and it runs at normal speed. I don't believe it's the SD card again, because I used to use this one when I first had the phone and it had no problems then.
Apologies for responding so late, but I've got the exact same issue with my Moto X Play. It's near unusable at times. Audible and audio books are stored on the SD card and it will routinely take up to 5' to start and sometimes start freezing while reading the book.

Same for other programs on the SD card. Mine is a Kingston branded 64GB memory card.

The Moto X Play doesn't have the most advanced processor, and I've been wondering at times whether one of the things it was struggling with was with the constant encryption/decryption process when writing to and reading from the card.

I don't have a solution for the issue. The internal memory is too small for my needs. So I'm seriously considering upgrading my phone to a different brand, and possibly avoiding memory cards completely. Even though I don't really want to spend the money to do that.

It's made me wary of the G5 Plus which seemed like a nice and cheaply priced newer model. I think I'll get a second hand OnePlus 3 or another used phone with a more powerful CPU.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but you aren't alone.

Wendelius
Old 20-06-2017, 06:45   #4
Q

My InFocus is running along nicely at the moment with SD Card.. I'd suggest Factory Reset and try without an SD Card for a few days and then try the SD Card and see if anything changes.

I'd go for newer Phones that have Increased Storage as well,just using SD for AV files
Old 28-06-2017, 09:04   #5
farmroad38
Ho hum...

In the end I sent it back to John Lewis for repair under the warranty. It was away for a couple of weeks and came back with no details of what they did to fix it, or if they replaced it. I also got the fried SD card replaced by Samsung.

It now runs much better than it ever did, although it does get very, very warm when I'm doing anything for any length of time. I agree Wendelius, it's has a pretty low spec and it does seem to struggle sometimes, but it was cheap so I guess it's a trade-off.

With my conspiracy theorist hat on, it seems very suspicious that it failed after 13 months. Every phone I've had has done something similar, when it was just out of warranty, but I fooled them this time as JL give two years.
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:23   #6
Q

My InFocus froze one day last week for about 5mins. I just had to wait for it to come out of it itself, as hard powering down like I did before is likely to make the SD Card unreadable... Just turned the screen off with a short power button and waited until it became usable again.
Only happened the once though,when listening to BBC IPlayer.
Old 28-06-2017, 23:08   #7
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmroad38 View Post
It now runs much better than it ever did, although it does get very, very warm when I'm doing anything for any length of time. I agree Wendelius, it's has a pretty low spec and it does seem to struggle sometimes, but it was cheap so I guess it's a trade-off.
Getting hot was also a symptom of mine struggling. When it started freezing, it would get hotter. I think it's just the CPU running full tilt to try and do something and the cooling not keeping up.

In the end, mine kept taking too long to do just about everything so I gave up. The last straw was not being able to start Netflix on a train journey. I found a Oneplus 3T for £300 on Ebay and replaced my phone. It arrived on Tuesday and boy does it fly compared to the Moto. All my apps start up in less than a second and I don't need to keep closing tasks to free up the phone.

6GB of RAM and a much faster CPU make all the difference.