Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Old 20-12-2016, 09:38   #101
Taq
Evil Scientist

If you're in Kindle Unlimited (KDP select) then you get stats on numbers of pages read, but no more. It would be really useful, for example, to know how many read the whole thing or how many gave up after chapter 3.

Women's romance fiction is the most popular genre out there - just make sure there's a hunky guy with an exposed six-pack on the cover

If you're going for a publisher, you'll need an agent for the bigger ones. The smaller independent ones often have calls out for submissions, though. Watch out for sharks and vanity press types who ask for money up front. There's a list somewhere of reputable ones - I'll try and find it.

For promotion in general, get your Twitter, blog and Facebook author pages up now and start talking about stuff. Marketing is pretty much a full time job in itself (I don't have time to do much, and it shows) - even if you get traditionally published the companies will expect you to do a lot of it.

There's loads of useful info in the BooksGoSocial Facebook groups and blogs. They are promotion company who offer lots of services. I never had any luck with their Twitter adverts but they have always been very helpful. They even offer a refund if you're unhappy after the promotion.
Old 20-12-2016, 09:40   #102
Taq
Evil Scientist

Oh and before you send it off, stick it in a drawer for at least two weeks and do another proof read edit cold (and use text-to-speech - it picks up more than reading ever will).
I didn't, and wish I had! Oh well, it's all a learning process
Old 29-12-2016, 09:51   #103
Taq
Evil Scientist

IVL is free for the next two days! I've posted a thread and a link in the Bargain Forums for it...
Old 10-02-2017, 20:42   #104
Taq
Evil Scientist

I've written a blog post of my first year since releasing IVL; how it's been received, and what I learned about writing and marketing, if anyone's interested!

Ruining the reputation of self-publishing: an amateur writer, one year on...
https://edryderblog.wordpress.com/20...r-one-year-on/
Old 11-02-2017, 07:21   #105
douglasb
Suedehead.

Good stuff!
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 19:46   #106
Rob
Stir Crazy

Enjoyed reading that.

Definitely agree with your comments about proofreading & editing. I've just finished Draft 2 of my novel and I've found a brilliant proofreader - my 15 year-old daughter! As she currently does English every week, she is able to point out where I'm making mistakes that are not obvious to me. She's like a C++ compiler on every line!

When I'm done, I won't have the time to spend promoting it - it'll sink or swim based on word of mouth. I'm going to go down the agent route first and if I get no bites in a few few months, I'll go straight to Kindle.

I enjoyed "In Vitro Lottery" and I'll look forward to reading your next book.
Old 12-02-2017, 17:17   #107
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

Very interesting read, I look forward to the sequel! It's hard to know what'll take with the public, I'd have thought if you'd written Fifty Shades of Grey, you'd have tossed it in the bin.

My wife has dabbled with writing and wants to publish something, so I've passed on your blog!
rbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:27   #108
Jamesthompson

I am also thinking about writing a Novel. Do you have any suggestion for me? I am thinking about writing a science fiction. After reading your book, I will let you know my review.
Jamesthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 17:01   #109
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

Almost a sale, not sure how it came up but my wife was going to buy it but then said we already had it. Not sure how it was recommended to her, all she reads is naff bodice rippers
Old 10-03-2017, 20:02   #110
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Almost a sale, not sure how it came up but my wife was going to buy it but then said we already had it. Not sure how it was recommended to her, all she reads is naff bodice rippers
heh how odd! Well, I'm glad someone's talking about it anyway
When it comes to bodice rippers, it's amazing how many variations you can get of 'hunky guy with shirt open with a beautiful woman in a flowing dress draped around him' covers...
Old 10-03-2017, 20:25   #111
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesthompson View Post
I am also thinking about writing a Novel. Do you have any suggestion for me? I am thinking about writing a science fiction. After reading your book, I will let you know my review.
For science fiction, there's lots of writing advice on the SFF Forums at https://www.sffchronicles.com/ from other authors and people looking for advice and critique.

Another great place for general information and marketing is the BooksGoSocial Authors Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/booksgosocialauthors/
BGS is a promotional company but the groups are free to join. They also run a group for reviews.

For the process of plot structuring, I heartily recommend Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 3) which has lots of advice on plots, chapters and story.

The most important thing is that if you want to sell even a handful of copies other than to family and friends, is to get a good social media presence first. Join lots of Facebook groups, Twitter etc and get your name known months before you release anything. Something else I didn't do and I'm still playing catch up! I use #iamwriting on Twitter to connect with other authors.

Other than that, hire a professional editor when you are finished. I was lucky that I just about got away with it and re-edited it a few times afterwards, but you may not.
I've now got IVL edited and need to spend a few weeks going through it all (and removing lots of adverbs after speech which are apparently a no-no these days) before uploading the new version, but I'll get IVL2 done beforehand.

Oh, and enjoy it! The writing is the fun part...
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09   #112
Taq
Evil Scientist

Taking a break from writing this week, so I made a trailer instead!

Old 11-07-2017, 21:20   #113
Taq
Evil Scientist

Quick update - I'm now about 45,000 words into the sequel and things are coming together structure-wise.
This has trilogy all over it!
Old 12-07-2017, 15:48   #114
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

Looking forward to it!