Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Old 03-04-2017, 18:35   #901
gjkendall
Gooner

So I finished The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone...it was certainly a case of chuck everything at the reader. Was a good, fun read but suffered from a very weak ending. I'm not so sure that the upcoming sequel, Skitter, was actually part of this book and split like the movie adaption of The Hobbit.

It's a flesh eating spider tale, so don't expect anything too highbrow. But if you want a fast, fun read, with some nice set pieces, I'd certainly recommend it.

Gollancz are sending me Skitter (should be here tomorrow) so fingers crossed we get more of the same but with an ending.

Last edited by gjkendall; 03-04-2017 at 19:10.
gjkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 19:20   #902
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
So I finished The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone...it was certainly a case of chuck everything at the reader. Was a good, fun read but suffered from a very weak ending. I'm not so sure that the upcoming sequel, Skitter, was actually part of this book and split like the movie adaption of The Hobbit.

It's a flesh eating spider tale, so don't expect anything too highbrow. But if you want a fast, fun read, with some nice set pieces, I'd certainly recommend it.

Gollancz are sending me Skitter (should be here tomorrow) so fingers crossed we get more of the same but with an ending.
I thought this was a very entertaining read. I was surprised it ended on a cliffhanger. Looking forward to the sequel!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 21:02   #903
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbitt View Post
I thought this was a very entertaining read. I was surprised it ended on a cliffhanger. Looking forward to the sequel!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
It wasn't a WTF, I must find out what happens cliffhanger though. Yes, it was a cliffhanger but it really felt like it was a case of stopping a story before it hit it's next peak.

I found it odd that there were a lot if pages dedicated to the Survivalists, only for them to hardly feature in the Hatching after their lengthy introduction. I read a brief blurb on Skitter, and it turns out they feature more in this book. Another reason for me to think that Skitter and the Hatching were one book at some point.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:07   #904
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Hodder have sent me the new Charlie Parker book by John Connolly...I've not read one before! Hope the 15th book makes a good entry point to the series.
Saw John Connolly being interviewed by Mark Billingham last night as I'm a huge Connolly fan, and that subject came up.

Connolly wrote the books so that each one can be read on its own, but says that you get a better depth to the characters if you read it as a series. He compared it to watching Columbo and The Wire.

The latest is supposed to be even more of a ghost story than normal so looking forward to reading it.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:18   #905
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175 View Post
This month it's
The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magicby Emily Croy Barker.

Only read the first couple of chapters, not sure what to think of it yet, but it's not keeping my interest enough to make me come back to read more (unlike "Children of Time" a couple of months ago, I couldn't put that down!).
Well, it didn't grab my attention at all, I got about a quarter of the way through before the month was up. I didn't manage to get to the book club to talk about it, but looking online it seems a lot of people were disappointed by it. Apparently too long with too much waffling about nothing. I certainly had that impression, in the quarter I managed to read not a huge amount happened, and what did happen happened slowly. I won't be finishing it, and it seems it's the first in a trilogy!

This month it's The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrne. Fingers crossed it's better than the last couple of months books!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:32   #906
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
Saw John Connolly being interviewed by Mark Billingham last night as I'm a huge Connolly fan, and that subject came up.

Connolly wrote the books so that each one can be read on its own, but says that you get a better depth to the characters if you read it as a series. He compared it to watching Columbo and The Wire.

The latest is supposed to be even more of a ghost story than normal so looking forward to reading it.
Good to know. I'll move it up the 'to read' pile if it works on its own.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35   #907
gjkendall
Gooner

Just started Skitter...I'm still thinking this could be from an original larger first novel.

Then, as it stands the next three to read will be...

The Last Days Of Jack Sparks- Jason Arnopp
Relics - Tim Lebbon
A Long December - Richard Chizmar
Old 12-04-2017, 14:13   #908
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Diverted from Middlemarch temporarily to read Lawrence Durrell's Bitter Lemons of Cyprus, a charming pastoral idyll from the 50s which changes tone as the insurrection against the British takes hold. Durrell has to be one of the best prose stylists of the 20th century - the first two pages describing his dawn departure from Venice by boat had me gasping in admiration!
Old 20-04-2017, 19:14   #909
gjkendall
Gooner

Struggling with Skitter...not a lot is happening, minimal spider action and too much chat!

When the female President orders you to give her one you know it's not a highbrow tale
Old 23-04-2017, 10:25   #910
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Just finished Hekla's Children by James Brogden. An interesting story of 4 missing children, a bog man, spirit worlds and cannibalistic demons! Recommended!
99p today on the kindle as part of Amazon's big daily deal.
Old 23-04-2017, 12:03   #911
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
99p today on the kindle as part of Amazon's big daily deal.
Well worth a go for a quid...

My 'to read' pile as sent by publishers is getting out of hand now...doesn't help that for some reason or other I have lost the ability to find time to sit in and read without falling asleep.

Just a few of my 'to read' pile...

Skitter - Ezekiel Boone (Struggling with this...too slow for a story about killer Spiders)
The Guns Of Santa Sanger- Eric Red
Ararat - Christopher Golden
The Last Days Of Jack Sparks - Jason Arnopp
Relics - Tim Lebbon
A Long December - Richard Chizmar
Sleeping Giants - Sylvain Neuvel
Waking Gods- Sylvain Neuvel
Old 08-05-2017, 11:40   #912
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Half way through O Pioneers! by Willa Cather, about the experiences of Swedish settlers in Nebraska in the 19th century.
Old 08-05-2017, 16:14   #913
gjkendall
Gooner

Nearly finished Eric Reds THE GUNS OF SANTA SANGRE, an enjoyable gunslinger V werewolves tale. Marred by a horrible overuse of rape and a bucket load of western movie cliché. With some editing could be a great movie.
Old 08-05-2017, 16:23   #914
allan175
Trusted User

Just finished this month's book club book The Girl in the Roadby Monica Byrne.

Disappointing, rambling nonsense mostly. I do expect it to have gone down well with some of the others at the book club, but I'll be giving it a 2/10.

I'm hoping next month's book (A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab) is better!
Old 08-05-2017, 19:48   #915
Taq
Evil Scientist

How many 'the girl..' titled books are there??
Old 09-05-2017, 09:01   #916
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
How many 'the girl..' titled books are there??
Loads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175 View Post
Just finished this month's book club book The Girl in the Roadby Monica Byrne.

Disappointing, rambling nonsense mostly. I do expect it to have gone down well with some of the others at the book club, but I'll be giving it a 2/10.

I'm hoping next month's book (A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab) is better!
Well, I was right, the next lowest score for The Girl in the Road was 5, everyone else thought it was really good. No idea why, even after listening to their reasoning!

The first chapter of A Darker Shade of Magic was a much more pleasant read, I'm looking forward to the rest.
Old 15-05-2017, 05:47   #917
gjkendall
Gooner

I'm 13 shorts into Richard Chizmars 'A Long December'...wow, a stunner! A subtle mix of genres, if adapted would make a great Twilight Zone style series.

His style is somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King, and a few of the stories follow a similar theme (someone being portrayed a saint, but ultimately revealing a very sinister secret life), but this has to be easily the best books I've read in a while.

Last edited by gjkendall; 15-05-2017 at 14:16.
Old 15-05-2017, 19:36   #918
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
I'm 13 shorts into Richard Chizmars 'A Long December'...wow, a stunner! A subtle mix of genres, if adapted would make a great Twilight Zone style series.

His style is somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King, and a few of the stories follow a similar theme (someone being portrayed a saint, but ultimately revealing a very sinister secret life), but this has to be easily the best books I've read in a while.
I was hoping you'd read the Jason Arnopp next.

Read 'Her Every Fear' from Peter Swanson, the writer of The Kind of Killing, its a very disappointing follow up which I had to force myself to finish as I just didn't care about any of the characters.
Old 15-05-2017, 21:00   #919
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
I was hoping you'd read the Jason Arnopp next.

Read 'Her Every Fear' from Peter Swanson, the writer of The Kind of Killing, its a very disappointing follow up which I had to force myself to finish as I just didn't care about any of the characters.
Arnopp should be next, unless Gwendy's Button Box arrives before I start.
Old 30-05-2017, 07:49   #920
gjkendall
Gooner

Finished 'A Long December' this morning.

520 pages of short stories...a fantastic rollercoaster of emotions via 35 tales that would make for a superb TV anthology. There are a mixture of genres, with some being perfect for a Twilight Zone reboot. The real strength here is the pacing and characterisation. Some of these stories are 4 pages long and pack as big a punch as tales 4 times as long.

Yes, some tales were better than others but there was not one I didn't like.

I'd thoroughly recommend this book..go on, you know you want to.

I'll be writing a proper review soon...

Last edited by gjkendall; 30-05-2017 at 07:53.