Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Old 13-03-2017, 20:35   #61
Dno
StolenBadger

Mostly great stuff again for me with only the (relatively short) studio stuff dragging it down a little. - I'm curious as to what the above naysayers thought about TGT on the whole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Still think that Alfa's hideous & far too similar in looks to a current BMW. The wall bit went on forever...
As slightly chubby 4 door super-saloons go, I think it's a stunner.
Dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 20:40   #62
mjr
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dno View Post
I'm curious as to what the above naysayers thought about TGT on the whole?
Critical of TGT myself in a number of areas: http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/foru...8#post10257038. There were several pretty terrible episodes in that run.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 21:47   #63
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

TGT started well but then fell apart. The lack of ideas for the budget they had was staggering.

This new Top Gear is in a different league of bad though for me. The forced uncomfortable humour is cringeworthy.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:41   #64
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
I don't expect Extra Gear to be as polished as the regular show, but dear lord George Lewis is dreadful. It's like the proper presenter didn't turn up & they've let the tea boy have a go.

Shame really, as some of the behind the scenes stuff & Harris doing laps is quite interesting.

The deleted boot scene from the Porsche/Lambo challenge should have stayed in.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:10   #65
Dno
StolenBadger

Quote:

Shame really, as some of the behind the scenes stuff & Harris doing laps is quite interesting.

The deleted boot scene from the Porsche/Lambo challenge should have stayed in.
I liked that too.. Harris' extra FXX K stuff is awesome:

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...aferrari-fxx-k
Old 19-03-2017, 22:19   #66
aprout
worn to perfection

Thought it was very good this week. The Aston film was great, it's always fun to watch Sabine throw something round the Nürburgring, & Tamsin Greig was pleasingly sarky about the whole thing.

It's a bit of a shame they're reviewing some of the same cars Clarkson & Co have already done on TGT (the Alfa last week & the Fiat 124 this week), but I guess that was always going to happen with 'rival' car shows.
Old 19-03-2017, 22:27   #67
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

New new Top Gear

The Nurburgring piece did show up something that is missing from TGT, a decent soundtrack. A good piece can be great if you add a bit of Hans Zimmer
Old 20-03-2017, 06:56   #68
allan
Trusted User

I think they need to scrap the "celeb" bit, or massively shorten it. It's as though they're struggling for content to fill the rest of the time.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:04   #69
ac
Trusted User

At the very least they can drop Harris teaching the celeb bit. Although they did try something different with Greig this time it's essentially the same thing every week and doesn't really add anything (not that the entire celeb bit adds much). The hot lap should be the focus of this segment, that's generally where the interest comes... Jimmy Carr is faster than Tom Cruise, who's faster than Fiona Bruce, etc. So far, the show guests have been way off the top time in the GT86 which doesn't help to generate any excitement either.

I thought they'd called in the favours early when Greig turned out to be the guest, but she was good and everyone seemed a bit more relaxed as a result with some non-scripted banter creeping in.

Reid must be gutted that LeBlanc and Harris are getting all the supercar on location action.

Does anyone know if LeBlanc is genuinely interested in industrial vehicles or if that's just a conceit created for the show?
ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:30   #70
lentini
now with added cymbals

The last two weeks have been genuinely entertaining after the blandness of the opening episode. The only thing that's letting it down for me is Rory Reid....he seems a nice enough guy but his presenting is just rubbish.
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 08:39   #71
cjay
Trusted User

I don't understand how shows like TGT and TG can struggle for car content and rely on crappy celebrity guff. I get it for TG, so they can cut that stuff to use the time for ads in other countries, but the excessive stuff? Come on.

Pick a nice car, a nice road and shoot something like C'était un rendez-vous. I need to get a job with one of them, I have tonnes of ideas.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:20   #72
ShakeyJake
Trusted User

Looks like the Americans are giving Top Gear another go. William Fichtner (yes him from Armageddon), Tom Ford (that British bloke that's done car things before) and some drag racer I've not heard of called Antron Brown. I can't help thinking meh but who knows.

http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-america...sts-1793443905
ShakeyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:34   #73
Dno
StolenBadger

I don't think they're struggling for content, and it's more that the guest stuff is a bit of a hangover from before. There's a good trio there, and it's a shame there isn't quite a complete format reboot to go with them.

That said, I really like Tamsin Greig and liked the bulk of her part. - They need to kick 'em off once done though.. There's that awkward part where they still seem to be there for a while.

On the entertaining car front:
That Mercedes sounded awesome
I lolled at the armrest button in the Aston
That VW was bonkers in the right hands
I don't get the point of that Fiat; buy an MX5.
Old 20-03-2017, 17:04   #74
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

I had google him, it's the guy who chases the Prison Break crew in S2 or the guy who had a bit part in The Dark Knight (shoots at the joker at the beginning).

Probably better to do their own, than import the guff that was on last year
rbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 17:42   #75
mjr
Trusted User

I'm pretty sure the celebrity bit mainly exists in order to have something to cut out for the international version to make way for the adverts in a 1 hour slot.
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 19:09   #76
aprout
worn to perfection

Fichtner's awesome in pretty much everything he does. Never imagined him doing something like this though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
I'm pretty sure the celebrity bit mainly exists in order to have something to cut out for the international version to make way for the adverts in a 1 hour slot.
That was certainly the case on old TG, but would that work anymore with the guest with them for most of the show now?
Old 21-03-2017, 08:17   #77
farmroad38
Ho hum...

I quite enjoyed that last episode - the team do seem to be getting a bit of rapport, although I agree Reid is still a bit wooden. I didn't mind the celeb bit either, but when she left was very, very awkward - why don't they just let her sit there whilst they do the next link and she can slink away off camera?
farmroad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:25   #78
bonsaiguy
Dirty rotten scoundrel

Quote:
Fichtner's awesome in pretty much everything he does. Never imagined him doing something like this though!
He is indeed awesome in most things. Seeing his name was a bit of a surprise!
Old 22-03-2017, 16:47   #79
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

He's currently a semi regular in "Mom" but if Joey can do his sitcom I'm sure he'll have room too.
Old 23-03-2017, 11:34   #80
arma_uk
Trusted User

i didn't watch the chris evans series (can't be doing with him) but have given this one a go. I think MLB is just about there, presenting-wise - he's relaxed in front of camera and delivers the script well enough. Chris Harris comes over a little aggressive, he needs to calm down a bit. His stance when they're chatting the two or three of them doesn't seem natural at all. That might improve as the series continues. I think Rory Reid does an alright job on his own, he seems passionate enough and his style is quite easy-going.

Delivery of the script is wooden. I can see the sprouting buds of camaraderie, they just need to nurture things (send them on a team-building weekend or summat!) and over time they might just be able to grow that "mates" aspect that the old lot did so well. Increase the ad-libs and it could be half decent.
arma_uk is offline   Reply With Quote