Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Board Games Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Old 30-12-2016, 00:23   #321
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastlander View Post
Mysterium was a big hit. I wasn't as enamored with it as everyone else (seemed a little easy to me) but no denying the quality of the production!
The rules explain how to tweak the difficulty by putting more cards on the table and reducing the number of times the ghost can refresh their hand.

Also, bear in mind that the ghost really shouldn't talk and that nobody should be discussing the final choice when it comes time to decide whodunnit.

Apart from that, it's not meant to be a hard game. It's basically a kind of Dixit with more game structure to it. We play it with the Hidden Signs expansion for added card variety and it's always fun.

Wendelius
Old 30-12-2016, 00:35   #322
Wendelius

We've had a chance to try out and play quite a few Christmas gifts in the past few days.

The most surprising family hit (to me) is Dream Home ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194880/dream-home ) which my 10 year old daughter got for Christmas. It's a card drafting and placement game. Everybody enjoys it, from children aged 10 to 18 as well as the adults. It's not super deep or hard. But if you want a 2-4 players game that looks really nice and which you can get children or non gamers into, it's very neat.

Mechs Vs Minions ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...chs-vs-minions ) arrived and we've played through the tutorial and first mission (which we failed. Planning to retry tomorrow). People know the game looks great and has got a ton of components. But that doesn't do justive to the size of the box and the quality of what's inside. It's crazy. The co-op gameplay is also a hoot and there is even a radio play online which you can play alongside the game (in between scenarios sections). The whole thing is awesome so far.

Chinatown ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/47/chinatown ) has also been a bit hit. I think we played it 4 times over 2 days. The game is so simple in principle: 6 rounds during which all the players try and take over the businesses in Chinatown and make the most money. You draw a few cards and game tiles and then the meat of the game are the 6 negotiation rounds which occur. There are so many ways to skin the cat and try and get richer than your neighbour. Everybody has loved it. Requires you not to be drunk or play after 1 am when your brain can't cope with trying to formulate and negotiate trades.

Still on the list to try for tomorrow: Clank! ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/201808/clank ). We're looking forward to that one.

We've also played Mysterium with the Hidden Signs expansion ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...m-hidden-signs ). All it adds are a few suspect / location / weapon cards. But they do shake things up nicely.

Wendelius

Last edited by Wendelius; 30-12-2016 at 00:36.
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 07:27   #323
vaderag
Gamertag: VaderAG

Really looking forward to getting my Mysterium to the table... Does it play with two?
Old 30-12-2016, 11:51   #324
Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
Really looking forward to getting my Mysterium to the table... Does it play with two?
I just checked the rules and, technically, it does. You lose the clairvoyance track mechanic, where guessing correctly whether your fellow psychics got their clue right or wrong can let you see more clues for the final part of the game. And it also alters how that part of the game goes. Seems to me like it loses some of its flavour and rewards for interacting with the other psychics but should otherwise work.

Wendelius
Old 30-12-2016, 14:39   #325
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post
I just checked the rules and, technically, it does. You lose the clairvoyance track mechanic, where guessing correctly whether your fellow psychics got their clue right or wrong can let you see more clues for the final part of the game. And it also alters how that part of the game goes. Seems to me like it loses some of its flavour and rewards for interacting with the other psychics but should otherwise work.

Wendelius
Thanks. Might try it with more first then
Old 30-12-2016, 19:48   #326
JimLin
A bald dyslexic epileptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter45 View Post
Dobble - kids absolutely love it. Brilliant little game.
One of my sons got this and we played it on xmas day. Very enjoyable, but my dyslexia problems with speed of image processing made it a lot more difficult than I was expecting, especially playing with 2 very competitive 20 year olds :-)
Old 03-01-2017, 13:35   #327
nutter45
burninator

Up to book 4 on Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle now. We've won each very easily so far, apart from our first attempt at book one. Book 3 would have been a lot more challenging if we'd lost location 1, but never got close to it. The theme is beautifully implemented and the game evolves nicely as you progress with good additional elements. It is a top game although it is going to get a bit long based on what I've seen so far.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 16:37   #328
vaderag

Quote:
Up to book 4 on Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle now. We've won each very easily so far, apart from our first attempt at book one. Book 3 would have been a lot more challenging if we'd lost location 1, but never got close to it. The theme is beautifully implemented and the game evolves nicely as you progress with good additional elements. It is a top game although it is going to get a bit long based on what I've seen so far.
I'm picking this up stateside in a few weeks as a bday gift for my wife (kinda!)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:08   #329
Eastlander
Trusted User

Anyone played Captain Sonar? Itching to pick it up, but wondering how well it plays with 4? We sometimes have six, but not as often...

Sounds awesome.
Eastlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:00   #330
vaderag

Quote:
Anyone played Captain Sonar? Itching to pick it up, but wondering how well it plays with 4? We sometimes have six, but not as often...

Sounds awesome.
Somebody said somewhere it works with 6 pretty well, think you can do 4 but might be more of a struggle

Last night cracked out the new version of Robo Rally with the wife. Absolutely amazing. My new favourite... So much fun. I can't remember a time I've been itching so bad to play it again!
Old 09-01-2017, 20:04   #331
Wendelius

Quote:

Sounds awesome.
It plays very well with 6. I mentioned it in the posts following my write up on the previous page: http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/foru...&postcount=303

I played it again twice yesterday with 6 players and it was an awesome experience. Everybody loved it, even those who profess to hate real-time.

I don't think I'd play it with 4 players though. That merges all the roles except for the Sonar and completely destroys the teamwork and cooperation that makes the game work so incredibly well (in my opinion). I'm sure the game still works mechanically. But it seems to me like it would be far removed from what it can be.

Wendelius
Old 09-01-2017, 20:36   #332
Wendelius

Yesterday, I got to try Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery for the first time. The game bear its name well!

Based on the STARZ TV series, it's a deep game that's not afraid to also be trashy and gory because it can. In that way, it's a great fit for the TV series.

You start the game Dominus of a ludus with a few starting gladiators. I was House Batiatus.

But much like Batiatus in the show, you won't stop until your influence opens you the gates of Rome and leaves your opponents bleeding on the sands of the arena.

What makes the game so intriguing is that it's the sum of very different parts that somehow mesh to really evoke managing a ludus and fighting to be noticed by Rome.

There is an Maintenance phase where you need to maintain your ludus and heal your fighters' wounds (or watch them die).

It's followed by a card based Intrigue phase where shifting alliances allow you to play schemes and try and raise yourself above the others. But doing so makes you a target. Counter schemes and house guards can help the others foil those attempts and get their own back. Choose wisely who to bribe and who to betray.

Then you get to visit the Market and place hidden bids on whatever comes up for auction. Do you bid all your money on that tempting Gladiator or the weapon that might save his life? Do you need more house slaves to generate income and/or carry out actions on your behalf? Or should you keep your money to bid to become the Host of the games in the next phase? Every decision is agonising.

Finally, there are the games. There is much honour bestowed to the Host. and power. Who shall they invite to fight in the arena? Will they accept? Will players try and bribe the host to be or not to be picked for the fight?

And then the gladiators fight!

The fighting takes place on a tactical grid and is where the dice come out. Players place bets on victory or on more gruesome outcomes like injury or even decapitation

If the defeated gladiator doesn't die, the Host has power of life or death on them (though killing a favoured champion would cost them influence).

And all that is just 1 turn of the game. Then it starts all over again!

Throughout the whole game, players can barter, make and break alliances and stab each other in the back... if they aren't afraid of the consequences.

It's quite the experience.

I wouldn't play it with novice players who can't bear to spend time listening to an overview of the rule. And as the game owner, you really would have to spend time online getting familiar with the rules before trying to explain them to anyone.

But we were lucky and had someone with experience to explain the rules. And we had a lot of fun with the way all those parts mesh together. I've never played anything quite like it. You might get cross at people you thought were your friends though.

It's gruesome. It's mean. It's full of intrigue. It's totally Spartacus.

Wendelius

Last edited by Wendelius; 09-01-2017 at 20:38.
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 21:27   #333
Wendelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
Last night cracked out the new version of Robo Rally with the wife. Absolutely amazing. My new favourite... So much fun. I can't remember a time I've been itching so bad to play it again!
I own the old edition. Do you happen to know how the new one differs?

I enjoy the game, but most of the people I play it with find it goes too long. especially with more than 2 players. Mechs vs Minions or Colt Express condense the programming experience in much shorter games that my group tends to prefer.

Still a fun game though. One I'd happily play any time someone requests it.

Wendelius
Old 10-01-2017, 06:56   #334
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post
I own the old edition. Do you happen to know how the new one differs?

I enjoy the game, but most of the people I play it with find it goes too long. especially with more than 2 players. Mechs vs Minions or Colt Express condense the programming experience in much shorter games that my group tends to prefer.

Still a fun game though. One I'd happily play any time someone requests it.

Wendelius
I didn't find it long, but we only played with two. By contrast I found Colt Express a bit dull (with all player counts) and currently have it up for trades...
I was worried I wouldn't like Robo based on my Colt Express experience (and I really wanted to like that game - the theme was right up my street.

I haven't played old Robo, but I have owned the 2nd Edition and in general the old components are way better. New version card stock is rubbish, but the minis come painted. From what I can tell about the rule changes, I prefer the new ones - no elimination, own had of cards I can't imagine playing without - I imagine the latter there helps with game length too as you always know something is going to come up within 3 turns

It's the most fun I've had gaming with my wife ever
Old 27-02-2017, 20:09   #335
Eastlander
Trusted User

Finally cracked on Captain Sonar. Going to try it this weekend with 6.

Anyone played Secret Hitler? Looks decent...
Eastlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:29   #336
nutter45
burninator

Up to book 5 on Harry Potter now. Each game is getting long now, but still good.

Also played a bit of Jaipur recently, it is a lovely little game. I picked up 7 Wonders Duel too so looking forward to giving that a whirl.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:47   #337
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Anyone played Secret Hitler? Looks decent...
I did a Secret Sidious retheme of this. Good game, essentially a tweaked and slightly more complex Resistance. Anyone who likes social deduction games will really like this IMO. There seems to be more potential for nuanced strategy than with stuff like Resistance.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:33   #338
Torf
PSN : Torf

Jaipur is excellent. Plays fast and we've had some incredibly close games. Nice theming and small form factor so lends itself well to being bagged up and thrown in the holiday luggage.

7 Wonders Duel is really deep - again quick playing but plenty of strategy to get your teeth into. The Pantheon expansion is also recommended. Well thought out and definitely adds another layer of depth but not unnecessarily so.
Torf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:44   #339
queeg500
Chump

I agree with both of those opinions Torf
queeg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:24   #340
whitesquizzer
Trusted User

Quote:
Up to book 5 on Harry Potter now. Each game is getting long now, but still good.
And they're only going to get longer with the new expansion announced!
I'm not as far into it as you nutter just about to start Game 4 but really enjoying it and the theme is really well done, our 10yr old loves it as much as we do.
whitesquizzer is offline   Reply With Quote