Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 18-03-2017, 14:40   #1
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Dark Angel - Dolph Lindgren BluRay POSSIBLY FAKE

Hello forumites I could use some help determining if the BluRay I bought is a genuine one.

The disk in qusstion is Dolph Lundgren action flick Dark Angel bought from an Amazon marketplace seller.

It is advertised as a Spanish region B disk and the cover has most of the elements seen in the region A release. I have never bought a Spanish disc before now, when I opened it smelled like a writable disc and was quite noticable.

The disk lable is printed on and is centered nicely but the shiny playside is nothing like the colour of any of my other discs even the region free ones from America.

The disk plays and there is the usual warning at the beginning but nothing after the movie ends I'd usually see more warning screens and possibly an animation or notice from the author of the disc but there are none.

The shiny side is two colours darker browny/gold and a lighter browny/gold of the unwritten. The case was a 11mm amaray not our usual UK 14mm size. No extras on the disc and the menu was a rather basic looped video.

I contacted the sellers and this was his response

Thanks for your purchase. I'm glad that you have received your blu ray so quickly. The Blu ray is a Spanish official release. The covers and menus includes Spanish writing. The right owner of this film for Spain is the company "CINEMA INTERNATIONAL MEDIA S.L." and also is the distributor of this film, in fact, this edition is exactly the same edition that you can buy on main streets shops, dvdshops and online shops etc in Spain. We have the invoices/ receipts of this purchases from our distributors. This same title is being offered for sale by other sellers on Amazon and they are selling exactly the same edition on Blu ray. There is not another European Region B/2 edition available in Europe and there is not an UK official release. This is the only way to have this film on Blu ray. Have a nice day Thanks Kind Regards

Anyone else by Spanish released discs?

Opinions? Have I bought a dud?

Cheers

Last edited by Spaceranger2001; 18-03-2017 at 14:49.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:06   #2
bigry
Trusted User

a lot of Spanish releases are known to be bootlegs of other countries releases. it's discussed on avforums a lot.
is the cover in english or spanish? also any code round the inner rim of disc?
bigry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:08   #3
bigry
Trusted User

yeah it's a fake https://www.amazon.es/Dark-Angel-Áng...owViewpoints=1
check feedback from other buyers
amazon.es turn a blind eye on pirate discs so buying off amazon site is no guarantee your getting a genuine disc sorry
bigry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:16   #4
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigry View Post
a lot of Spanish releases are known to be bootlegs of other countries releases. it's discussed on avforums a lot.
is the cover in english or spanish? also any code round the inner rim of disc?
In the clear hub plastic there are some numbers but they are too obscure to see properly even with a magnifying glass. The usual etchings on other discs are missing too.
Old 18-03-2017, 15:36   #5
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigry View Post
yeah it's a fake https://www.amazon.es/Dark-Angel-Áng...owViewpoints=1
check feedback from other buyers
amazon.es turn a blind eye on pirate discs so buying off amazon site is no guarantee your getting a genuine disc sorry
I ordered from Amazon UK marketplace so have had a chat with them and they are looking into it.
Old 18-03-2017, 16:27   #6
malcy

As said above it is almost certainly a bootleg but is a legal disk in Spain.

This title is from JRB Productions who I have never heard off but are probably like larger companies like Riesen who just rip the US or other countries BD and stick on in many cases a BDr (so like home burning hence the disk looks funny) rather than a genuine pressed BD.

I have never understood why this practice is legal in Spain especially as they are members of the EU and the big Hollywood studios don't stop them,

You will probably need to rely on the goodwill of the seller here. Are they UK or Spanish based because as I said the disk is considered genuine in Spain so can probably legally be traded in EU.

It is always buyers beware from Spain and only buy their BDs if released by one of the big Hollywood studios there as those mirror their releases from elsewhere in Europe.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:47   #7
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
As said above it is almost certainly a bootleg but is a legal disk in Spain.

This title is from JRB Productions who I have never heard off but are probably like larger companies like Riesen who just rip the US or other countries BD and stick on in many cases a BDr (so like home burning hence the disk looks funny) rather than a genuine pressed BD.

I have never understood why this practice is legal in Spain especially as they are members of the EU and the big Hollywood studios don't stop them,

You will probably need to rely on the goodwill of the seller here. Are they UK or Spanish based because as I said the disk is considered genuine in Spain so can probably legally be traded in EU.

It is always buyers beware from Spain and only buy their BDs if released by one of the big Hollywood studios there as those mirror their releases from elsewhere in Europe.
The seller is based in Spain, but the reviews on the Amazon UK site from where I got it were positive. Definitely a poor copy of the American release.

Thanks for everyone's input
Old 21-03-2017, 10:54   #8
malcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
The seller is based in Spain, but the reviews on the Amazon UK site from where I got it were positive. Definitely a poor copy of the American release.

Thanks for everyone's input
I always treat Amazon reviews as not worth the paper they are written on. Most purchasers are clue less idiots and wouldn't spot a bootleg or BDr.

If you are looking to buy an obscure foreign BD from a non major studio you have actually heard of, I would ask on somewhere like Blu-ray.com forums first.

I and others there would have warned you off that in the UK and US this would be considered a self burnt illegal rip bootleg.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote