Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Old 11-02-2017, 09:01   #221
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
So anyone else watching Riverdale? it's basically veronica mars.....I'm really enjoying it and it has a fab soundtrack.

Also Legion is amazing.
Was wondering if Riverdale was any good will add to the watch list.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:41   #222
CLH
La Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
I thought the trailer looked ok at best, but my wife hated it. I ended up binge watching the series and really enjoyed it, but I'm not entirely sure why. The writing is ok, but the jokes are fairly corny and include many observational gags about relationships and families which have all been done before and more cleverly too. Although like someone else said, there's some very funny stuff in there and the whole feel is very energetic and "sparkly".

But there's something about how the actors have chosen to play their parts which meant I went with it. I think its because in Olyphant's case he plays it verging on mania. At first I thought he was just over-acting, but there's a manic feel to it which I guess is natural if you think about the nonsense premise?
Yeah, it's deliberate I think. It's certainly a good premise. I saw it referred to as the worst of Netflix's shows. Harsh, it's more entertaining than Travellers, which I've given up on. Arguably more watchable than Luke Cage or Jessica Jones. It clearly isn't as technically good as any of them. But it is fun.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:13   #223
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
So anyone else watching Riverdale? it's basically veronica mars.....I'm really enjoying it and it has a fab soundtrack.
Quite liked the pilot, but gave up about 20 minutes into the second episode. Veronica's gorgeous, but not enough to keep me watching. Never read an Archie comic in my life, so I don't have that connection & I'm too old to be watching teenagers be bitchy to each other without shouting 'Oh, **** off!' at the screen every five minutes.

Training Day's supposed to be a sequel to the movie isn't it? Wasn't there some terrible exposition in the first episode about Denzel's character & the fall-out of his actions?
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42   #224
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

I thought Legion was excellent. It had a real prisoner vibe to it.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:18   #225
Apostate
Trusted User

Cardinal with Bill Campbell is excellent
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 19:50   #226
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
WOW! Legion was superb. Sublime filmmaking in both visual & audio departments. Do I have any clue what the **** is going on? ... Nope! But when it is this well made, who gives a ****.
same here - loved it, I just hope that it won't be a "Lost" when it comes to revealing (or not) the story
dbilsborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 19:53   #227
Crawf
Trusted User

Location: The planet of the evil space monkey robot monsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbilsborough View Post
same here - loved it, I just hope that it won't be a "Lost" when it comes to revealing (or not) the story

Second (or more) the Legion recommendation!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2017, 19:59   #228
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I thought Legion looked really good, well acted, well directed but was too long and took too long to get to the point. I get it was supposed to be different I thought it was a bit meh.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 19:54   #229
john white
Trusted User

So Doubt is where Katherine Heigl ran to after her last show died hot on the heels of her movie career. Doubt does have Charlie from The West Wing and Elliot Gould from the seventies, and Laverne Cox (OITNB). It is a legal procedural with gorgeous pouting Heigl fighting with pluck for people you can't care about. It is glossy and obvious and Dule Hill could do a lot better...
john white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 20:58   #230
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,174 Times in 379 Posts
I saw the TV spot for this and you couldn't pay me to watch it!
The Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:50   #231
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Doubt was weird. All over the place tonally with dark, serious murder stuff & a perky, cheery score more suited to a sitcom. Great cast, but even they didn't seem sure if it was supposed to be a drama or a comedy.

Similarly, Imposters felt confused about which tone it wanted to go for, or indeed who we were supposed to be rooting for; the gorgeous fake wife, or the idiot duped husband(s)?

Can't say I feel the urge to watch either show again.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 10:47   #232
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Doubt was weird. All over the place tonally with dark, serious murder stuff & a perky, cheery score more suited to a sitcom. Great cast, but even they didn't seem sure if it was supposed to be a drama or a comedy.
Yeah, totally agree with the horribly inappropriate score that just amplified how bad this show was. It was trying so hard to be the new Good Wife but it failed on every level despite a decent cast. I lost interest within the first 15 minutes.

Thankfully we have the Good Fight arriving next week & early reviews suggest this will satisfy my quirky courtroom drama appetite...

Last edited by TonyG; 17-02-2017 at 10:53. Reason: Too many series with "Good" in the title! D'OH!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 10:50   #233
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post

Thankfully we have the Good Place arriving next week & early reviews suggest this will satisfy my quirky courtroom drama appetite...
Old 17-02-2017, 10:53   #234
alsemail
Bibble....

I think TonyG meant The Good Fight which is a spin-off from The Good Wife.

Having seen the trailers it looks quite good and I noticed very high budget. While TGW wasn't cheap TV you could tell the law offices were studio sets etc, very normal in a TV show whereas The Good Fight seem to be location shooting.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 10:54   #235
TonyG

D'oh!

Too many tv series with "Good" in the title!
Old 17-02-2017, 12:07   #236
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I thought Legion looked really good, well acted, well directed but was too long and took too long to get to the point. I get it was supposed to be different I thought it was a bit meh.

I agree in that i found it interesting and a great idea, however it was too long and slow
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 12:20   #237
john white
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Similarly, Imposters felt confused about which tone it wanted to go for, or indeed who we were supposed to be rooting for; the gorgeous fake wife, or the idiot duped husband(s)?

Can't say I feel the urge to watch either show again.
Yeah, that's fair comment. The second episode of Imposters was probably more so and largely filler. To do a series about confidence tricks and spend all the time on everything else seems pretty redundant. I am still holding out for Uma Thurman though (..always have been )

Of the new year series, I am only sticking so far with Cardinal, Legion, Training Day, Mary Kills People and Emerald City. MKP has got worse since an excellent opener, Training Day is honest cops n robbers and Emerald City is consistent to its fabulous design and when bad is fun at least. Cardinal is by far my favourite and the one to catch if you appreciate scandi drama or things like Unforgotten.
Old 21-02-2017, 10:55   #238
cjay
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Also said goodbye to supernatural this week as that has way out stayed it's welcome. It needs focus and an end badly
It's been pretty solid recently I thought. You should at least check out the Tarantino inspired ep.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 13:39   #239
TonyG

Only watched the first episode of The Good Fight so far & it has set things up nicely for the rest of the series. Plenty of familiar characters returning & the new ones are intriguing too. Love the opening credits.

Make sure you watch the uncut web version for the juicy naughty words, 2.00 aspect ratio & lesbian nakedness. I believe there's an extra 4+ minutes of footage?
Old 21-02-2017, 20:21   #240
john white
Trusted User

Bellevue has just started up. Anna Paquin is a grown up, messed up bad mom and intense cop looking into small town abductions and secrets of the past. She's come a long way since films with Harvey Keitel in the nip and Bellevue crawls into view quite nicely from this opener