Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion
login with facebook login with steam

Old 07-07-2017, 23:18   #941
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumpetMan View Post
Have you finished it? I read it recently as it was very prominent in the shop display and although something kept me turning the pages I didn't particularly enjoy the book. It's one of those where I just didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I did finish it & was impressed with the characterisations & the quality of writing but disappointed with the mystery resolution & ultimately, yes I felt a little "is that it?" At the end.

Surprised to learn they are making a movie version. Can't see how that will work at all?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 19:31   #942
MARKMAN
**** pretentious ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumpetMan View Post
Have you finished it? I read it recently as it was very prominent in the shop display and although something kept me turning the pages I didn't particularly enjoy the book. It's one of those where I just didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk
I was very non-pluses about this, didn't really go anywhere.
Old 10-07-2017, 19:34   #943
MARKMAN
**** pretentious ****

Just finished "The Force" by Don Winslow - a really good Police corruption book set in NYC. Apparently, it was sold to a film studio for mega bucks before it was released and it's easy to see why. I really raced through it, the pacing is spot on.
Old 10-07-2017, 19:43   #944
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKMAN View Post
Just finished "The Force" by Don Winslow - a really good Police corruption book set in NYC. Apparently, it was sold to a film studio for mega bucks before it was released and it's easy to see why. I really raced through it, the pacing is spot on.
I believe this was a book Stephen King was very excited about. Might pick this up once the epic TBR pile reduces.
Old 11-07-2017, 14:09   #945
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKMAN View Post
Im a bit behind on reading Don Winslow, finished Power of the Dog last week and thought it was astonishing, easily the best book ive read this year. Ive got the sequel The Cartel as its 1.99 in the Kindle summer sale and will pick up The Force at some point.

Finished Extreme Prey by John Sandford, the latest in a good series of books.

Struggling with London Falling by Paul Cornell as it isnt holding my attention.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 17:40   #946
gjkendall
Gooner

A few new deliveries today from various publishers...

The Fourth Monkey: J D Barker
Meddling Kids: Edgar Cantero
Monsters Exist: Various

Just got to get Before by Paul Kane finished first. 100 or so pages to go and pretty good. Not quite as epic as I was expecting. Annoyingly it looks like ALL questions are going to be answered in the last few pages.
Old 17-07-2017, 19:08   #947
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
A few new deliveries today from various publishers...

The Fourth Monkey: J D Barker
Meddling Kids: Edgar Cantero
Monsters Exist: Various

Just got to get Before by Paul Kane finished first. 100 or so pages to go and pretty good. Not quite as epic as I was expecting. Annoyingly it looks like ALL questions are going to be answered in the last few pages.
Cool. The Barker book is on my list. Bought 'Riley Sager - Final Girls' based on your recommendation, just need time to read it and the other hundreds of books on my Kindle

Reading Tales From Development Hell by David Hughes, although published in 2012 its interesting from today's perspective as it deals with versions of Batman Vs Superman and Tomb Raider.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 14:32   #948
gjkendall
Gooner

Finished Before..it was alright, a solid 3.5/5.

A criminally underused main villain let it down in the end for me.

Review to follow.

I've now started Monsters Exist...2 stories in and pretty pretty good. Here's the blurb...

From the time we are young, we fear the monster under the bed or in the closet,*making it impossible to sleep*without a nightlight. Then, we hear stories of Bigfoot, and maybe even the Mothman around campfires. When we are adults, we wonder if there might actually be supernatural creatures lurking in the shadows. Are these tall tales and urban legends only metaphors for what horrific things humanity is capable of—or do monsters exist?

Go to some terrifying places with this cast of authors. You will be dragged into mystifying realities where demonic fairies hide, where devil monkeys lure carnival-goers to their demise, where Goatmen seek to destroy their prey, and where the goddess of death puts out a hit on victims of her choice. These shocking tales will have you biting your nails and locating that childhood nightlight. Because, in the end, we all know monsters do exist.
Old 22-07-2017, 20:03   #949
gjkendall
Gooner

Finished Monsters Exist...13 excellent stories out of 14. Review dropping soon but if you are able to grab this, I really would recommend it. It was only 99p on kindle the other day which is ridiculous.

Now to decide what to read next...
Old 24-07-2017, 18:22   #950
gjkendall
Gooner

Monsters Exist Review

In an awkward position now...I've just been notified I'm being sent an advanced proof for one of my most anricipated books of the year. I'm chuffed to bits, its a big deal for me and my fledgling blog. Do I start a new book now? I hate leaving a book unfinished, but this advance will have to be read/reviewed immediately and could arrive in a few days.

First world problems eh?
Old 25-07-2017, 09:12   #951
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkendall View Post
Monsters Exist Review

In an awkward position now...I've just been notified I'm being sent an advanced proof for one of my most anricipated books of the year. I'm chuffed to bits, its a big deal for me and my fledgling blog. Do I start a new book now? I hate leaving a book unfinished, but this advance will have to be read/reviewed immediately and could arrive in a few days.

First world problems eh?
Definitely a first world problem! Read some short stories so you can stop quickly?

I'd be no use as a reviewer, I read too slowly.
Old 25-07-2017, 18:05   #952
gjkendall
Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan175 View Post
Definitely a first world problem! Read some short stories so you can stop quickly?

I'd be no use as a reviewer, I read too slowly.
Went for 'What Monsters Do' a collection of shorts by Nicholas Vince (Chatterer in Hellraiser among other roles)
Old Today, 08:59   #953
gjkendall
Gooner

What Monsters Do review

Started Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero