Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum
login with facebook login with steam

Notices

Old 05-11-2008, 07:41   #41
pete00
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
erm no -read the first post, it spells it all out fairly clearly !
Erm sorry, missed that bit. I just read the bit about the American driving licence!
That does seem quite a strange policy, as Johnny Vodka says, that stops everybody with a child buying alcohol.
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:53   #42
qpw3141
Unregistered user

I'm amazed at the number of people mindlessly supporting idiotic staff acting in an entirely illogical manner.

Yes, a shop can serve whomever it likes and companies can do all sorts of weird things but if you removed all stories about companies acting illogically then you might as well shut down this forum!

The whole 'being with someone' is perverse since it means shopping for any age related product becomes a lottery. e.g. If you go to the supermarket by yourself to buy a bottle of wine and the cashier happens to spot a couple of adolescents 'with you' as you approach the till (although in reality they've just stopped to ask you where the cheese counter is) then you get refused service.

There is no reason why an intelligent manager cannot make a ruling that differes from the cashier's. It's perfectly sensible behaviour - you can't expect all staff to have the same detailed knowledge of the shop's policies as the management. It doesn't mean the cashier is 'not supported - quite the reverse - they are supported by being able to call on more qualified staff to check difficult decisions.
qpw3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 14:07   #43
rsykes2000
carrying a dead walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJonnyB View Post
I don't even try buying alcohol in Morrisons anymore. I am 27, OH is 23. He has his driving licence, but they always insist on me having my passport (don't drive) too even if it is him buying it.

Worse than that, the last time I was in there a lad in front of us was buying two 4 packs of carling. They asked for ID, and he showed his driving licence. They refused to serve him, even after calling the manager as 'it was too much alcohol for them to sell to a young person'. He stood there arguing with the manager for quite some time - he had a load of food and stuff that he'd got for his family - but the manager wouldn't budge...apparently even with ID they wont sell 'unsuitable' amounts of alcohol to legal adults.
My word, that's ridiculous. I'm 35, not been ID'd anywhere for 22 years and have been shopping in the same branch of Morrisons as Nathan-Wind for the last 17 years. I can't begin to think how many 4-packs I've bought there and at times (eg 2 Christmases ago) I've bought 8 24-pack cases at once (had to go a whole week without getting near an offy). Never once been refused service due to the amount I've been buying. Taxi driver wasn't too impressed when I loaded them all into his boot tho... IMO stopping people from buying a couple of 4-packs sets a pretty dodgy precedent for nanny-state-itis.
rsykes2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 17:51   #44
Bish

Mrs Bish works in a shop and if any person buying alcohol looks under 25 she must ask for ID, if she were to serve someone under age then she herself could face a fine. The fines imposed on the owner of the shop are even higher. Local authorities do send in dummy customers and recently shops in our area have been fined, however this did cause a fuss as the person while under the age of 18 looked a hell of lot older.

That said there are circumstances were common sense must prevail like in Nathan-Wind's case.

Last edited by Bish; 05-11-2008 at 17:52.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 17:54   #45
megatron
Trusted User

I got ID'd for buying WD40 at focus. I showed him my paper license, and I don't think he could find my DOB and just let me have it.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 19:01   #46
Nathan-Wind
Here and now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
Local authorities do send in dummy customers and recently shops in our area have been fined, however this did cause a fuss as the person while under the age of 18 looked a hell of lot older.
I think that is well out of order. Just play fair with people. Trying to catch shops out with tattooed 16 years with facial hair doesn't help anybody. I think we'd all agree keeping alcohol out of the hands of the under-age is a good thing but local authorities should be fair and reasonable.
Old 05-11-2008, 20:34   #47
markabuckley
Trusted User

so you're telling me that if this type of rules was adopted by all supermarkets....

I cannot buy alcohol if my 4 year old is with me .... barking !

what are you meant to do - leave them in the car - er no thanks
markabuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 20:58   #48
qpw3141
Unregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post
so you're telling me that if this type of rules was adopted by all supermarkets....

I cannot buy alcohol if my 4 year old is with me .... barking !
It's worse than that.

As I pointed out above, a cashier only needs to see you talking to some one who s/he thinks appears to be below 25 and you can be refused.

Meanwhile, the people who are really buying alcohol for minors know perfectly well not to be seen with them and get served with no problems whatsoever.

It's the typical lame brained attitude:

People are buying drinks for minors.

Something must be done!

This is something, let's do it.

It's a futile, cosmetic gesture that does nothing to address the root cause of the problem whilst irritating and inconveniencing ordinary customers.
qpw3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 21:21   #49
SteveP
SirAlex

Last time I went to Morrisons to buy some alcohol, it was just me and my two kids (9+5). I was a bit concerned that they wouldn't serve me as I was with them and that was all I was buying. But I think I was lucky in that by the time they had served the mad old woman in front, who had packed over £100 of plants in to her trolley and gone through the hand baskets only lane they weren't going to bother with me.

In these cases common sense should prevail and in this instance it didn't
Old 04-12-2008, 11:22   #50
Nathan-Wind
Here and now

(Non) update for those interested. I wrote to Morrisons CEO and the manager of the actual store. The CEO sent me a standard thank you for your correspondence letter and nothing else. The manager just ignored it.

I've written again but the more I think about it what did I expect? I may have shopped their weekly for 5 years but we're only two people. What do they care?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:47   #51
AdsterUK
ermmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJonnyB View Post
...apparently even with ID they wont sell 'unsuitable' amounts of alcohol to legal adults.
Which makes you wonder just how they justify offers like 3 x 15 pack for £20. Or is 45 cans reasonable once you get past a certain age?

Take it to its logical extreme, they should ban all bottles of spirits other than miniatures, get rid of all packs of beer above 8, lose all these 3 for £10 wine deals etc.
AdsterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:51   #52
Johnny Vodka
health & fitness expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsterUK View Post
Take it to its logical extreme, they should ban all bottles of spirits other than miniatures, get rid of all packs of beer above 8, lose all these 3 for £10 wine deals etc.
No need when our nanny government looks like doing that in the near future.
Johnny Vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 10:54   #53
barthez
Trusted User

Sorry to bring up this old thread.

Does anybody know what time you can purchase alcohol from in Morrisons? Is it as soon as the store opens as i wanted to stop by on my way to work next week.
Old 21-11-2009, 11:17   #54
target
Trusted User

Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,022 Posts
From a quick google it depends on the individual stores licence. They seem able to start at either 8am or 11am and stop at either 9pm or 11pm or sell for 24 hours. Sundays are more restricted and scotland tends to stop at 10pm
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 12:30   #55
barthez
Trusted User

thanks target
Old 21-11-2009, 13:45   #56
Tempest
Trusted User

It really is stupid isn't it.

Do I take it that an adult (if they have any child with them) is not legally allowed to buy any item in any shop for themselves, which the child could not buy on it's own if the adult was not present?

Either you have a full law like this or you don't.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 14:06   #57
scooby snacks
Trusted User

I've only been asked for ID once and that was for cigs. I found it quite amusing as I was 18 at the time and had been buying cigs from that shop for 3 years prior This was years when the smoking age restriction was 16.

The only instance of being questioned about booze was a couple of years in my local Tesco. It was about 2am and just got asked if I was buying the booze for the chavs congregating outside. I told the checkout girl it was for me (which it was) and got served.
scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 14:42   #58
Tempest
Trusted User

If the people buying Alcohol were wearing Burka's at the time.

Then what?
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 14:43   #59
BigDavie2000
Big Member

I was reading about age checks done in Asda. While there was only a small handful of fails with trading standard visits, internal testing came away with an average of about 75% pass. I found this shocking but what was more shocking was it wasn't being reported as being unacceptable but more along the lines of "we could do better".
Old 22-11-2009, 08:21   #60
rbullivant
Finger Lickin Good

I think it is mostly shops trying to act more responsibly with the sale of alcohol, beer and spirits are so cheap now they're trying to make sure alcohol doesn't fall into childrens hands with their policies - the alternative is to increase the prices from pocket money prices.

I think its reasonable not to accept a foreign ID, especially when the assistant is not familiar with the licence.

Also no store will ever back down on the ID issue, an assistant is just following the rules set out by the store and the manager is also doing so and backing them up. I've seen many frankly lower class people kicking off about the ID rule in supermarkets and if the staff are not backed up by security and management they are going to stop checking.

I've never been asked for ID myself anywhere for acohol, however I do carry round my drivers licence and don't think its that inconvenient to be asked to show it. I'm also against kids on street corners drinking

R
rbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote