PDA

View Full Version : WD Passport Portable - Connection Problems

steven07968
01-02-2010, 17:46
Hiya, has anyone got a WD Passport Portable, and has connection problems?

The cable that plugs into the HDD seems to be very lose, and is easily moved. Hence the reason why I seem to have connection problems.

Wondered if it was just me, or if it is the build of the HDD?

Do I take it back for a replacement, or get a refund and go for something totally different?

nwgarratt
01-02-2010, 20:48
Try another cable. I used a old one and that fits perfectly. I did have to use a USB port of the motherboard rather than the front of the case due to insufficient power.

kiran_mk2
01-02-2010, 21:08
Is this one of the 2009 models that uses a microusb cable in place of the normal miniusb? Amazon is full of scathing review that the microusb connection is very flakey, so it may be an inherent problem.

Tom Whitaker
01-02-2010, 21:09
Yep, I've found this too. Thought I was paying for a premium product but it makes it nigh-on unusable on a laptop. It's a custom connector too - it's the same as the one on my Logitech Harmony remote, which came with a cable too. Both cables are loose in the WD and perfectly strong in the remote, so it's the socket on the hard drive, not the cable.

nwgarratt - is yours definitely the current model? Mine's a WDBAAA5000ASL-00 (and steadily, carefully picking it up then to check that just disconnected it from my computer, even though the cable stayed in the socket).

Where'd you get yours from? Mine's from eBay so I think WD are my only option, but not sure whether they'll accept my eBay purchase as a legitimate, warranty-supported one.

Tom Whitaker
01-02-2010, 21:13
Yep - bad reviews aplenty here.

Amazon (http://www.thedvdforums.com/affiliatelink.php?localaffiliateid=8&url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002KPW5IS/thedvdforums-21)

Tom Whitaker
01-02-2010, 21:30
UK customer service email support - have submitted a question.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

nwgarratt
01-02-2010, 21:31
Is this one of the 2009 models that uses a microusb cable in place of the normal miniusb? Amazon is full of scathing review that the microusb connection is very flakey, so it may be an inherent problem.

This is my one. (http://www.thedvdforums.com/affiliatelink.php?localaffiliateid=8&url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002KQ3SL0/thedvdforums-21) The microusb socket is fine and just like my other devices with the same connector. I use one cable for many things and swap and change when I need to.

Tom Whitaker
01-02-2010, 21:33
Lucky you! And also hope for us, as I doubt they'll give me a refund or offer me an alternative product. There is a report on one review I found online of someone going through three, all with the same problem, but perhaps it's just certain batches affected? Cheers for your feedback.

nwgarratt
01-02-2010, 22:08
I never tried the cable that came with it. In the past I have found some cables are a bit iffy but the one I use is a snug fit in the socket.

I think I bought it August last year.

Tom Whitaker
01-02-2010, 22:12
Fair enough - I'd never seen one of these microconnectors and then two devices I ordered arrive on the same day using one (this and the Harmony), so those are the only cables I have to test with it.

steven07968
02-02-2010, 06:50
Fair enough - I'd never seen one of these microconnectors and then two devices I ordered arrive on the same day using one (this and the Harmony), so those are the only cables I have to test with it.

Well you've got the same version as me.

Hmm, I think I'll give PC World a call to see what they propose to do about it. Just a pain having to copy everything off the drive though :(

Is there any software for doing a permanent delete on what I've had on the drive? As I wouldn't want any 3rd party to see confidential files from work.

Tom, another point, has your drive lost it's sheen off the top? As mine looks as though it has dry water on it - rather odd, as I always keep it really clean etc... :(

Very disappointed with this drive.

Any portable drives that you know of that do not suffer from this cable connectivity issue?

Cheers for all the replies as well :D

KennyVader
02-02-2010, 09:40
I think the loose cable ones are old stock, they certainly had that problem when the new micro-usb design came out during the 2nd half of 2009 I think, but the newer 1tb ones I got towards the end of the year are much tighter, you could easily swing the thing round by the cable now.

By micro-usb design I mean the really thin connector about 1.5mm tall, but get used to this connector because all mobile phones are supposed to be settling on this connector for power and data. As opposed to the mini-usb connector that the WD drives used to use (about 3mm by 6mm).

When the new design of these drives came out the godawful software on them was unremovable and would fire up every time you plugged them in somewhere. Thankfully WD were inundated with complaints so you can now get a drive firmware upgrade and then run a utility to turn the stupid software off and just use the drive as a bare drive.

But yeah, classic case of how to completely screw up a formerly really good product.

Tom Whitaker
02-02-2010, 09:40
My case still looks fine. Eraser on the PC is a free app to overwrite all deleted files with junk data.

steven07968
02-02-2010, 10:10
I think the loose cable ones are old stock, they certainly had that problem when the new micro-usb design came out during the 2nd half of 2009 I think, but the newer 1tb ones I got towards the end of the year are much tighter, you could easily swing the thing round by the cable now.

By micro-usb design I mean the really thin connector about 1.5mm tall, but get used to this connector because all mobile phones are supposed to be settling on this connector for power and data. As opposed to the mini-usb connector that the WD drives used to use (about 3mm by 6mm).

When the new design of these drives came out the godawful software on them was unremovable and would fire up every time you plugged them in somewhere. Thankfully WD were inundated with complaints so you can now get a drive firmware upgrade and then run a utility to turn the stupid software off and just use the drive as a bare drive.

But yeah, classic case of how to completely screw up a formerly really good product.

Sadly, I only have the requirement for a 320GB HDD, so seem to have an old version. It must just be the latest models above 500GB that come with the correct port size. A real shame that though.

I'm changing it for a SEAGATE 320GB FreeAgent Go Portable storage.

Cheers again everyone.

Tom Whitaker
02-02-2010, 10:57
Alright, then I'll demand they replace with a 1tb :)

Tom Whitaker
10-03-2010, 11:15
Got my RMA replacement today - it's a 500gb silver Passport Essential - and the supplied cable is firm enough that you can hold the drive up by the connected cable alone. Hurrah.