PDA

View Full Version : Ntl Email on BTConnect Controled Outlook?

Jez
25-02-2008, 10:07
Trying to setup my ntl email at work on outlook, it worked fine until we recently had btconnect put in.

As you can see all the boxes ticked apart from actually sending an email, i can receive fine. Any ideas?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2419/emaildetailsbi4.gif

I also get this error when trying to send.

Task 'pop.ntlworld.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 550 <*********@ntlworld.com>... Not permitted'

farrar
25-02-2008, 10:13
You can't use the BT connect mail server to send mail from an NTL email address.

Jez
25-02-2008, 10:38
What i cannot use my ntl address at work, full stop?

bambi2002
25-02-2008, 11:34
You could use something like www.mail2web.com instead

gobstopper
25-02-2008, 11:43
What i cannot use my ntl address at work, full stop?

Because spammers have spoiled it for us all. Back in the dim and distant past it was possible to send an SMTP message from pretty much any SMTP server you could lay your hands on, but spamming activities soon put an end to it.

As an earlier poster has said, it would seem from your error message that the btconnect SMTP server is expecting the sender address to be from '@btconnect.com' and won't allow anything else. Other SMTP hosts (NTL's/Virgin's being a classic example) will allow you to send mail from other mail domains, but check the IP address of the host making the connection to make sure that it belongs to one of their customers - I am an NTL customer, but I use a completely different e-mail domain and I am able to send mail, from home, using this address because smtp.ntlworld.com recognizes my IP address.

In this case, if you want to access your NTL account I suggest that you use their webmail service.

Jez
25-02-2008, 11:51
Many thanks gobstopper.

I have been using my webmail, just a pain having to go online to check you know.

Oh well, not to worry. Cheers :)

simonmac
25-02-2008, 13:26
Must be a BT thing, but as I use my Ntlworld account on Be* and also previously on F2S.

farrar
25-02-2008, 14:48
The only other way would be to establish a VPN connection to your home network (assuming its NTL) then you will be able to send email using the smtp.ntlworld.com server.