PDA

View Full Version : !!!important Info!! Fsmail Email Account Closures

cable stretcher
21-08-2007, 20:10
BEWARE!! they are deleting accounts that dont use dial up.

I tried to access my email account on the old freeserve .fsnet account and i was unable to get in. Ecevntually after trying for an hour to retrieve my account i phoned the helpline only to be told that my account had been deleted and all my messages were gone. In December last year they changed the T&C to the following:

if you dont use a dial up connection (on their freeserve dial up) for 219 days, they send you "ONE" email warning you about it.

You then have until day 240 to dial in (even for just 1 minute) otherwise it is too late and on day 260 they delete your account and all your emails.

I have had my account for years and it was my main email account, and i was absolutely gutted that its gone.

Just thought i would let everyone know as i think they are trying to close this service down through the back door without giving proper notice. I am sending complaints to OFCOM and to their customer services.

I tried to telnet in and the email address was valid but they had changed the password. The ever so unhelpful indian call centre said that it was already deleted which was clearly a lie and refused to even forward my email on.

maddogsuk
21-08-2007, 20:15
So did they send you the 'one' email? And are you still a paying customer via ADSL, or at least a dial up customer?

Welshlad
21-08-2007, 20:19
Im not a member of FS at all any more, but still use my FS email quote a lot, which i pick up via POP3 all the time. I have to reactivate my account every 90 days, but it looks like this is coming to an end :(

Gutting

cable stretcher
21-08-2007, 20:32
So did they send you the 'one' email? And are you still a paying customer via ADSL, or at least a dial up customer?

My main PC was bust so i was connecting via the fsmail website, so if it was sent i never saw it. The problem was their spam filtering was bad and there was a lot of rubbish mixed in with the regular emails.

No i was no longer a ADSL customer or dial up, but i would have done the dial up if i had known that this was going to happen. What was annoying was that they gave no proper notice and when you retrieve your account they always have new T&C's but it was the fact they they didnt highlight these major changes.

As long as you occasionally use a dial up on their PAYG service you should be fine. So dust down the old 56k modem and set a schedule for loggin on every 240 days...

Rob

Baz
21-08-2007, 21:43
Are you sure that reactivating the account doesn't count? One of my fsnet accounts got the email, saying I needed to dial in or it would be deleted, but Im sure it also said that reactivating my account via the website would also be sufficient.

cable stretcher
21-08-2007, 22:01
Are you sure that reactivating the account doesn't count? One of my fsnet accounts got the email, saying I needed to dial in or it would be deleted, but Im sure it also said that reactivating my account via the website would also be sufficient.

Positive, i used to do the same and reactivate my account every 90 days whenever i found it not working, but they changed the T&Cs last december so it is now the 219 day thing and if you have already received the email, you are nearing the cut off point. Sorry to pass on the bad news but i dont want them to get away with it because i am convinced that they are trying to remove the service because it doest have the "Orange" name on it after freeserve sold out to them. The helpdesk guy said that even if you dial up fo one minute it will reset the counter, so find someone with a dialup and you should be able to save your account.

Rob

KennyVader
21-08-2007, 23:08
Company in ditching loss making freeloading customers shocker!

Baz
22-08-2007, 05:58
Can you link me to something which shows this. As I said I used the reactivation thing for years, and this was the first e-mail I ever got, and I am certain the e-mail said there was an alternative to dialling in. Ive never had the email before so this must be the email you refer to. I could quite easily have read it wrong though.

Has anyone got a copy of this email?

powder
22-08-2007, 14:36
Just dial in once every few months to keep it active :shrug:

Cheapest way of continuing a free email account that you don't want to lose