PDA

View Full Version : Freebie and the Bean TONIGHT

jimbob250
18-02-2006, 21:21
Dear All,

Possibly wrong forum, but....Just a heads up that Richard Rush's 'Freebie and the Bean' (1974) is on BBC1 tonight. (According to imdb) this is not available on dvd anywhere so it's worth a watch. An interesting director who's films are always worth a watch unless they have Bruce Willis in them that is.

Enjoy

Mike
18-02-2006, 21:35
I'd have included the one with Bruce Willis. "Color of Night" is one of the most demented films ever made.

anephric
18-02-2006, 21:37
For "demented" read: "wobbly of Bruce Willis penis".

Gary Couzens
18-02-2006, 22:35
It was cut in the cinema and on video, though apparently has been shown complete on TV before.

Richie
19-02-2006, 00:05
I've only just realised that this is on! Never seen it, although it keeps being mentioned round these parts... but why? Can someone shed some light for moi?

Richie
19-02-2006, 02:46
Oh man, that was such good fun! :thumbs:
What a cracking script and Caan and Arkin have such great chemistry. The extended scene between Arkin and Valerie Harper (when Bean confronts his wife over what he thinks is her infidelity) was superb and ultimately really quite touching (she's simply great). Fantastic ending too! They got me good! :D

I'm guessing the problems people have with it are what could be perceived as the "casual racism", although I thought the film confronted Freebie's attitudes (whilst adding another layer and dimension to his character) and the fact that he quite obviously loves Bean deeply speaks volumes (to me anyway). Also I can see how some people might get their panties in a bunch over the possibly homophobic depiction of gay characters but again I personally didn't see it that way. Does a film have to automatically be labelled "homophobic" just because the gay guy is a baddie or gets dispatched violently? The guy was a total git who deserved what he got in the context of the film. Freebie had just witnessed his best bud get shot and went after the perp as Bean lay dying but ooh bad woman is really a fey bloke in a dress so it's homophobic - oh purlease!

I get that if one compiles a list of gay cinematic depictions from the (70s) decade you get an overriding sense of negative portrayals of homosexuality in Hollywood cinema, something The Celluloid Closet documentary did albeit with an unbelievable bias that undermined the points being made (for example including 'Heathers' in the negative use of "fag" montage was utterly retarded and unwarranted considering what attitudes that particular film was commenting on)!

Viewed in isolation in 2006 however I don't have a problem with this film at all. To me the frankly 'gay' nature of Freebie and Bean's relationship negates the rest. At certain points it seemed like they were seconds away from jumping each other!

Anyway (before I start taking it all too seriously and end up writing an essay) I thought it was great entertainment and reminded me of one of my recent favs, "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang".

Gary Couzens
19-02-2006, 09:31
Cut version shown. I presume the BBC are following the ITC's old guidelines now - if a video-certified version exists, then that's the version that must be shown. The complete version has five gunshots in the scene with the transvestite, the cut version two. I don't see the BBFC likely to have a problem with this nowadays, especially not if they maintain an 18 certificate...particularly as the full-length version of the transvestite scene was passed for a 15 certificate in The Celluloid Closet.

It was also shown in 16:9 (with the credits sequences letterboxed to 2.35:1), but that's to be expected on BBC1.

pjclark1
19-02-2006, 10:52
Only two tranny gunshots.

bosque
19-02-2006, 11:05
The picture quality of this TV showing was probably much better than a DVD release is likely to be, particularly the jet-black shadows and dark lighting that would appear greyish or plagued with artifacts on DVD. Pity about the cuts. Is James Caan daydreaming in the final scene ?

anephric
20-02-2006, 17:58
Cut version shown. I presume the BBC are following the ITC's old guidelines now - if a video-certified version exists, then that's the version that must be shown. The complete version has five gunshots in the scene with the transvestite, the cut version two. I don't see the BBFC likely to have a problem with this nowadays, especially not if they maintain an 18 certificate...particularly as the full-length version of the transvestite scene was passed for a 15 certificate in The Celluloid Closet.

It was also shown in 16:9 (with the credits sequences letterboxed to 2.35:1), but that's to be expected on BBC1.

I think SKY are currently showing an uncut print - I'd have to check my recording of it, mind. They similarly zoombox to 16:9, though, after teasing with 2.35:1 titles.

Richie
21-02-2006, 15:40
No-one else has an opinion about this film then? :shrug:

SIMON ADEBISI
21-02-2006, 16:44
Great film. Great use of tampons.

mrsteve
21-02-2006, 18:33
No-one else has an opinion about this film then? :shrug:

I do. It was a favourite in my formative years (along with 70s faves like the Trinity films, Supercops, Lucky Lady etc etc). And it was just as good - if not better - than I remembered. They really don't make 'em like this anymore.

A big thank you to jimbob250 for the spot. :thumbs:

Steve

Flimber
21-02-2006, 18:55
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380406

Richie
21-02-2006, 19:10
Oooh twisty knickers! :p

but yes, I wholeheartedly agree!

Gary Couzens
23-02-2006, 00:13
I presume there aren't any music rights issues holding up a DVD release, as the film has been released on video? Maybe this is just another "we'll release it when we get to it" back catalogue film - after all, Warners are releasing plenty as it is!

Speedspin
23-02-2006, 18:31
Doesn't anyone except me hate this film?
I remember seeing it about 20 years ago and thought the two lead characters were so totally obnoxious I couldn't appreciate any of the humour.