PDA

View Full Version : DVDs and hot/cold temperatures

Splinter
29-11-2003, 14:06
I'm thinking about storing some of my DVDs up in the attic for a bit, only problem is, it's serioulsy cold up there. Anyone know how DVDs fair against extreme temperatures? Having only stored them at room temperature before i'm unsure if I'll damage them or not.

Probably a stupid question, but I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry ;)

brock_landers
30-11-2003, 01:44
Having left DVDs in the glovebox for several months at a time I would say that an attic would be fine, although others may disagree........

Cheers, Brock.

jmoates
30-11-2003, 02:17
Usually low temperatures are best for storing any kind of media from DVDs to proper film reels. You should remember, though, that attics get hellaciously hot in the summer, so the best place to store anything is where the temperature is even all year round.

Splinter
30-11-2003, 11:54
Cheers for the info guys, sounds like I'll be ok.

Tom-Lux
30-11-2003, 13:38
best to get a special room with it's own AC and humidity regulator.
if you put them up there now. just lmke sure you don't forget to take them down in march/april when it starts getting hot.

kanttila
30-11-2003, 17:57
I woudn't store my DVDs on any attic - not because of heat, the DVDs can handle serious cold temperatures without problems and quite warm temperatures also (might not stand direct sunlight and high temperatures thought ...).

The BIG problem is humidity, if there is any humidity, it will very probably spoil all papers - disk sleeves and inserts. After a winter they all might be unusable or badly wrinkled (Did once this mistake with some books :( )

DeadKenny
30-11-2003, 18:14
You might want to be aware of this problem. Whether it's affected by temperature/humidity or not I don't know but possibly...

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113630

Why store DVDs in the atic anyway?

Splinter
30-11-2003, 18:34
Originally posted by DeadKenny
Why store DVDs in the atic anyway?

If you saw the state of my place, you'd understand why - I need more room! I won't be putting my whole collection up there, just enough to free up a bit of carpet space ;) Thanks for the link, will have a read through.

Kanttila - Yeah good point, I don't fancy wrinkled packaging. It's starting to sound like a bad idea...I could try wrapping them in bubble wrap or something, that could the trick.

DeadKenny
30-11-2003, 19:32
Get some Ikea Billy/Beno CD towers. They're really tall and hold loads of DVDs :thumbs:

kanttila
01-12-2003, 05:21
Splinter - I got a better idea. If you absolutely MUST store the disks in the attic, collect all sleeves and inserts and leave them in room temperature (wont probably take much more space than a large book). Store only plastic containers and the disks in the attic.

Splinter
01-12-2003, 17:34
Originally posted by kanttila
Splinter - I got a better idea. If you absolutely MUST store the disks in the attic, collect all sleeves and inserts and leave them in room temperature (wont probably take much more space than a large book). Store only plastic containers and the disks in the attic.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines, but that's quite a bit of hassle. The plan just started off with the simple task of dumping said DVD piles in the loft - but now..:nuts: :help:

Anyway, it's good to know that DVDs are are ok in cold climates - that was the main thing I was after.:thumbs:

DeadKenny
01-12-2003, 17:38
Good point on the covers. I know from experience these things get damaged by moisture as I've had a bunch misteriously get damaged (not that I can work out why it happened). Annoyingly had to happen to one of my expensive Criterions (even damaged the cover inside!), but thankfully the guys at Criterion are helpful and sent out a replacement cover and booklet.

Wolverine
01-12-2003, 18:21
Humidity is a real problem for me. I live in an area with high humidity and in an old building. A lot of my stuff gets wrinkled. Everything, from cds to dvds, books, magazines, you name it. And there's nothing you can do about it. Hopefully, i'm going to move to a new house next year.

It breaks my heart everytime i see another cover wrinkled. :cry:

DeadKenny
01-12-2003, 18:28
Originally posted by Wolverine
Humidity is a real problem for me. I live in an area with high humidity and in an old building. A lot of my stuff gets wrinkled. Everything, from cds to dvds, books, magazines, you name it. And there's nothing you can do about it.

You can get a dehumidifier. My neighbour has one as he gets loads of damp, but I'm okay (upstairs flat)... well apart from the one off time it happened but it only happened to a few of them which was weird.

Could be a way of producing your own water too as these things seem to pump out loads of water.

Wolverine
01-12-2003, 19:25
You can get a dehumidifier

Yes, i have one pumping night and day during the winter. Still, a lot of things get wrinkly. Although it doesn't happen to everything. I think it depends on the material. Some cds will get wrinkles while others don't. I guess it has to do with the quality of the materials.

Tom-Lux
01-12-2003, 19:57
Originally posted by Splinter
If you saw the state of my place, you'd understand why - I need more room!

sell anything that takes away space, like G/f, wife, kids, pets, anything except the TV and dvd player. and if that doesn't help knock down yopur neighbours door and increase your space.

so when you leave discs in the attic, what happens if you wanna watch some of them?? climb all the way up there?
seems a lot of hassle to me, tbh.

Mark153
02-12-2003, 22:01
I am fortunate enough to have my own cinema room in a converted basement at our home, and it was decided upon moving in to house all of the DVDs down there.

Unfortunately the room gets damp and running a dehumidifier made most of the covers wrinkly or in the case of Warner/New Line snapper cases, seriously bloated and bent out of shape. This was only after three weeks, with the dehumidifier on no more than two or three times for a few hours in total.

Suffice to say when I realised everything got moved up into the main living room. Inconvenient and rather disappointing given there is now virtually nothing in the basement apart from the A/V equipment and some posters, but what can you do?

My advice: if you suspect the room is likely to get damp and need to run a dehumidifier, do not keep the DVDs in there as you will regret it in due course.

I've got all of mine housed on a couple of humungous book shelves that came with the property, and a couple of sturdy DVD storage towers from Argos.