PDA

View Full Version : What are the best movies to watch on a projector?

Rollocop
07-11-2003, 23:05
Since I got my projector (courtesy of the Bargain Forum - cheers) a few weeks back Ive been slapping in discs left right and centre just to see how they look on the 'big screen'. Ive a mix of R1 & R2 discs and the ones I found look best so far are LOTR - FOTR (R1), Black Hawk Down (R2) and anything by Pixar.

Most disappointing have been Titanic (R2) and Independance Day (R1).

Anyone else with a projector got any recommendations?

nashie
07-11-2003, 23:15
why have they been disappointing? the quality of the picture???

The shots in one thread about a projector setup of Fellowship of the ring looked pretty damned class!

Rollocop
07-11-2003, 23:23
Originally posted by nashie
why have they been disappointing? the quality of the picture???

The shots in one thread about a projector setup of Fellowship of the ring looked pretty damned class!

Yeah, picture quality. Titanic in particular (because its not animorphic I guess). FOTR is excellent true enough.

Paul Lynock
08-11-2003, 02:23
Independence day isn't anamorphic either IIRC, so that's obviously the problem...

How about Star Wars: Episode II? That's usually the DVD they have on to show off the plasma TVs in shops

rubber duck
08-11-2003, 04:26
Originally posted by Paul Lynock
Independence day isn't anamorphic either IIRC, so that's obviously the problem...

How about Star Wars: Episode II? That's usually the DVD they have on to show off the plasma TVs in shops

Independence Day R1 is anamorphic unless he bought a Fullscreen edition. :p

rogeralpine
08-11-2003, 05:15
non-anamorphic don't look too good tbh - even Silence of the Lambs crit didn't look too good.

Get yourself some decent superbits - I've be blown away by several. Also, the source feed to your pj matters greatly if you want to see an improved image. I feed mine a progressive VGA source from my PC pixel mapped 1:1. If you have DVI that's the way to go.

BrynJ
08-11-2003, 10:23
I don't think you can really make such a general statement regarding non-anamorphic material - I've got a Sanyo Z1 and some of my non-anamorphic titles (example Robocop Criterion) look far better than some of my anamorphic titles (example T2 Ultimate Edition).

More often a poor looking projected picture will be down to image 'enhancements' that have been added when the dvd was authored - edge enhancement being the worst culprit for killing detail and giving a halo around all high contrast edges.

thescrounger
08-11-2003, 10:25
My R4 Independence Day is anamorphic:confused:

Rollocop
08-11-2003, 10:38
Originally posted by rubber duck
Independence Day R1 is anamorphic unless he bought a Fullscreen edition. :p

Fullscreen? Do you think me a newbie? :mad:

:)

cm-9
08-11-2003, 12:03
Welcome the world of the videophile. As detailed in another thread, for best results you need to:
(a) put a tinted orange photographic filter over the projector lens - will also help protect it - try FL-Day or Hoya 81B or 81C - then readjust the projector's colour, brightness and contrast settings to make all colours look completely natural
(b) set brightness as high as it can go without lifting 'absolute' black levels (i.e. the level such that a purely black region should remain unchanged if you push brightness down one more notch, but all other regions should get a bit darker); set contrast fairly high, like 60%-70% of maximum, it generally doesn't matter if you can't distinguish between white and off-white as very bright whites are rare in films (If you have SW: TPM or other THX material there may be a THX optimiser which is quite useful for this sort of tinkering - I would say don't worry about distinguishing between the two brightest white levels, but do worry if you can't distinguish between all the different black levels on the THX optimiser)
(c) use a PC as your source, with Zoom Player software, 1:1 pixel mapping, and a decent quality VGA cable (i.e. not the one that comes with the projector).

HTH

The very best R2 disks for viewing on a projector (in terms of image quality and overall impact):
Brief Encounter (full screen, B/W, but it's amazingly good)
Top Gun
Armageddon (2 disk)
Spiderman
Pearl Harbor
8 Mile
Black Hawk Down
Gladiator
Ocean's Eleven (2001)
Aliens
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (but avoid TPM)
Romeo & Juliet (the Baz Luhrman one)
Moulin Rouge
X-Men
X2
At the Height of Summer (beautiful Vietnamese film)
The Road Home (beautiful Chinese film)
The Princess and the Warrior (beautiful German film)
Howard's End
Sense and Sensibility
Gandhi
... and just about any Superbit

All of these will knock your socks off with how good they are on a projector.

Lord of the Rings films on DVD are one notch below, I think because the images are so natural and so detailed that they really need a higher definition format than DVD. Don't get me wrong, they are still good though, but if you want projector demo material then I heartily recommend those on the above list.

I would also recommend looking out for the very best 1925-1990 films that you may only ever have seen on a small screen - watching one of these classics (with a decent DVD transfer) on a projector can be a mind-altering experience - e.g. Brief Encounter in the above list.

Splinter
08-11-2003, 15:35
City of God R2 looks stunning...really stunning :eek:

One of my best transfers with one of favourite films :notworthy

lgu
08-11-2003, 18:02
Predator special edition.

DM
08-11-2003, 19:57
smut.. :thumbs:

Baz
08-11-2003, 20:30
Got to say finding nemo looked absolutely awsome on mine. Gobsmaked!

ralph wiggum
08-11-2003, 20:43
Originally posted by Dave Metcalf
smut.. :thumbs:

As long as it's nothing with John Holmes in!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Quinnsey
08-11-2003, 23:48
2001: A Space Oddysey

Rollocop
09-11-2003, 10:05
Thanks for that cm-9 :thumbs: