View Full Version : DIY Secondary Glazing?

08-01-2003, 17:21
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was such a thing as a DIY Secondary glazing set? I was talking to someone who said he knew a friend who did it.
Checked out the B&Q and homebase website, and don't see anything like it. Does it exist?

Basically, I want to cut down the noise coming into my flat.


09-01-2003, 01:06
I've just helped my dad (over the last year) double glaze his entire house. I didn't get involved too much in the purchasing of the frames and the glass, but I do remember him saying he was offered the glazing units with various thickness of glass and differing gaps between the glass sheets. Apparently to cut down on such things as noise and condensation build up etc.

Might be worth checking the glass units you currently have fitted. May be as simple as replacing them with higher graded noise reducing ones?

Just a suggestion.

09-01-2003, 07:07
Try http://www.diy-plastics.co.uk for the units. I think they make them to size.

I've used this company a couple of times for a few other plastic items :nuts:.

09-01-2003, 07:51
Wicks used to sell them, you mean the ones you fit inside behind the existing window

the voice of kenny
09-01-2003, 09:11
Got mine from Wicks a few years ago for my flat, very easy to fit. I don't know if it reduced the noice but certainly noticed a difference in winter with keeping the place warm

09-01-2003, 15:18
Yeah, that was what I was looking for, the type you fit behind the exisiting windows.

Tried looking for a website but can't find any for Wicks. Does anybody know if they have one, or if they have any outlets around central london?


09-01-2003, 18:17
Here you go:
They have a branch locator on the front page.
Good luck

09-01-2003, 20:36
Cheers tengis19! :D

Didn't know it was wickes with an "e"!

No product list on their webpage, so I guess I'll have to make a trip to their store to check it out!

But thanks for all your help guys!!!!!


09-01-2003, 21:35
You can get a very simple/cheap kit that uses what looks like cling film. You put a strip of double sided tape around the frame, stick the film to it and then use a hair dryer to make the film become taught and wrinkle free. It's great for stopping draughts from older windows, but you have to destroy it to take it off. Wickes definately sell these (or did last year) and I think B&Q do as well.

B&Q sell sheets of acrylic type plastic and special plastic channels to make your own secondary double glazing. The sheets are very expensive if you need the larger sizes though.

09-01-2003, 21:55
Thanks dogbreath

Thing about the first option you mentioned, you can't open your window after you put on the cling film without destroying it, am I right?

As for the B&Q one, does the "special plastic channels" mean my window can still be accessed?

Sorry if I seem rather ignorant. My DIY skills are confined to drilling and using a screwdriver.. :D